• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

abc

i'm firmly in the camp of will not travel further than i can drive myself during a pandemic, but have at it.
Some people have a whale of a good time going BC on Avi level 4 days and live to talk about it! Others only go out on level 2 days and missing out a lot of powder. Still more never leave resort and only ski leftovers.

Risk tolerant level is highly individual.

I'm a happy chicken,. I figure if I'm safe and live a long and healthy life, there will be many, many powder days at no more than level 2.

BenedictGomez

Since the reality is that for a very long time, even eventually in small numbers, there will always be deaths from COVID, as well as slight mutations to the virus as well, which is something that we've already seen multiple times already (The European variant, the Chinese variant, this new quicker spreading apparently variant, and even another new variant with a South African origin that I just read about this morning - none of which appear to be more lethal than others)?

The UK & South African mutations have already been proven to respond positively to vaccine (as should be mathematically expected). The US media, as always, is trying to scare the **** out of people for $$$$.

gittist

Heads up for those in Pennsylvania or going through:

Pennsylvania State Police will distribute flyers to motorists and may issue citations, fines for COVID-19 violations​

I don't care what the law says, they'll do it anyway and you'll lose. Even if you fight and win the victory won't be worth it.

Pez

Wear your mask (properly), washy washy, and drive the speed limit.

it's not that hard.

Zermatt

Wear your mask (properly), washy washy, and drive the speed limit.

it's not that hard.
You can skip the obsessive hand washing too, btw. It's good for many other illnesses but has little effect on an a respiratory virus. Unless you are swabbing your lungs with your dirty fingers.

drjeff

You can skip the obsessive hand washing too, btw. It's good for many other illnesses but has little effect on an a respiratory virus. Unless you are swabbing your lungs with your dirty fingers.

The folks still wearing latex gloves out in public at say the grocery store are frankly just wasting gloves....

BenedictGomez

You can skip the obsessive hand washing too, btw. It's good for many other illnesses but has little effect on an a respiratory virus.

They've known this for months. It's odd behaviour. It makes you wonder if people do all this for psychological control issues, or if they genuinely still dont know. Clorox wipes, for instance, still sell out everywhere. And some stores, like TJ Maxx, wipes the counter after each customer pays.

BenedictGomez

Heads up for those in Pennsylvania or going through:

Pennsylvania State Police will distribute flyers to motorists and may issue citations, fines for COVID-19 violations​

This is especially annoying for those of us who live a pitching wedge from PA. Not to mention, eastern PA has become a boom town from all the NJ residents fleeing Jersey's high taxes, and there are now THOUSANDS of PA residents who work in Jersey. Oh, but they made an "exception" for them, because the coronavirus is respectful of worker's commuting geography...... or something.

machski

I'm guessing its Covid related, but Loon shut all lodges to dining this weekend and it is continuing into the week. They have some newly errected heavy duty tent structures at Camp III and Pemi Base Camp that are open air and they are using those spaces for dining exclusively right now. Fun times...

Edd

Not East, but on point:

Just like the Idaho story. You could just be polite, follow the rules and have fun riding but nope, you’ve got opinions, and ski area employees need to hear them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just like the Idaho story. You could just be polite, follow the rules and have fun riding but nope, you’ve got opinions, and ski area employees need to hear them.
I’d say Northern Idaho is WAY more conservative and anti-mask. There is a backstory behind Solitude. Go to their FB page and you’ll see mention from skiers about staffers being rude. That said, people should be respectful. I’d hate to work at Solitude due to the crowds and problems. IKON’t understand what changed....

BenedictGomez

I doubt it has anything to do with conservative, moderate, or liberal, but simply the fact pretty much everyone of all stripes is "coronavirus fatigued" at this point, and some percentage of people simply cant handle that fatigue very well.

I live in one of the most liberal states in America & my church sent out an email that sounded almost exactly like that Solitude email. Parishioners getting fresh with church staff trying to enforce COVID19 regulations. Same thing, different environment, different state.

drjeff

I doubt it has anything to do with conservative, moderate, or liberal, but simply the fact pretty much everyone of all stripes is "coronavirus fatigued" at this point, and some percentage of people simply cant handle that fatigue very well.

I live in one of the most liberal states in America & my church sent out an email that sounded almost exactly like that Solitude email. Parishioners getting fresh with church staff trying to enforce COVID19 regulations. Same thing, different environment, different state.

As we close in on a year of restrictions on our "normal" lives as they used to be, I doubt that anyone who hasn't already gone absolutely crazy out of anxiety and fear and social isolation, questions some attempts, to go against what our elected officials say to do, just to try and get some social interaction in a person to person form rather than a person to computer screen form.

I sincerely hope that the youth of today, who so desperately NEED socialization as part of their normal psychological development, aren't irreparably harmed by this. Heck, you have some younger kids especially, thinking that just breathing air may cause you to get very sick or kill you because of how some parents choose to phrase things to their kids. That instilled fear, isn't likely something some will easily let go of moving forward

jimmywilson69

I feel bad for college and high school age children as socialization is an important part of their life during that age range. As a parent of a College sophomore I can tell you he's been safe, but he's also not sitting in his apartment doing nothing. he's been potentially exposed to COVID, but tests have been negative thankfully. He's getting ready to drive back to Florida on Wednesday, and he got himself a COVID test without any direction by me since he'll be stopping at my sisters which is half way. I hope he continues to balance safety and socialization.

KustyTheKlown

if i'm trying to make the point that covid fatigue is apolitical, i surely wouldn't cite a church.

get a grip. the people lashing out at others over mask compliance requests are conservatives/anti-maskers. utah, idaho, just about any white church.

thetrailboss

Staff member

FYI Couer d'Alene (just south of Schweitzer) had armed militias going around harassing business owners over mask mandates. That was what I was getting at.

icecoast1

if i'm trying to make the point that covid fatigue is apolitical, i surely wouldn't cite a church.

get a grip. the people lashing out at others over mask compliance requests are conservatives/anti-maskers. utah, idaho, just about any white church.
I doubt the majority of young people ignoring public health recommendations since March are conservative, that generation doesnt tend to lean right. There are also literally tons of examples of people that lean left not following the rules they impose on all of us since the beginning

Let's not cherry pick, both sides have people that weren't/arent following the guidelines since the beginning.

Last edited:

1dog

Someone, not clear who, got ‘redlined’ at SB yesterday. Had to sign yet a 3rd attestation form to ski.
Think the code reads last time skied.

As for the church/conservative/anti-mask comments, my church is full of sinners, I'm a poster boy for that moniker - I don't know who said this, but its a good place to type it out: 'In life, it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.'