• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

skiur

In case you haven't noticed, there's only very thin man made snow on most mountains!

Yes, I prefer to waste my time talk about Covid than to waste it scrape ice mixed with dirt! (and yes, I went out last week, the bottom of my ski shows :( )

Let's hope this weekend's storm open up some terrain. There might be less post here and more on the trip report section.

Killington has tons of skiing available, nats are getting kinda boney but the snowmaking trails have plenty of coverage. My season pass cost a grand and it was well worth it the way this year has gone. I feel bad for epic pass holders.

gittist

In case you haven't noticed, there's only very thin man made snow on most mountains!

Yes, I prefer to waste my time talk about Covid than to waste it scrape ice mixed with dirt! (and yes, I went out last week, the bottom of my ski shows :( )

Let's hope this weekend's storm open up some terrain. There might be less post here and more on the trip report section.
Agreed. I just returned after skiing for 3 days. It was spring skiing, silky smooth (yes but rare) to nickel and quarter sized rocks across the trails, and brown snow. Since it was a Vail resort there were a few closed trails with mounds of snow and then towards the middle of the week it seemed like they were closing what good trails they had to force us onto the crappy trails.

Between the weather and COVID skiing ain't too much fun this year. I wonder how many will go to the slopes to ski when the temperature drops to zero and the wind is blowing but you can't go in the lodge? The locals can ski until they're cold then go home but for those of us that have to drive some distance, we won't do it.

So I'll probably only get 3 days out of my season pass this year :-(

Don't eat yellow snow (seems to more of it this year for some reason)!

JimG.

Staff member

Stop being so fussy! Hard to believe anyone would rather discuss this crap than ski, I don't care if it's on one trail of ice cubes.

JimG.

Staff member
Agreed. I just returned after skiing for 3 days. It was spring skiing, silky smooth (yes but rare) to nickel and quarter sized rocks across the trails, and brown snow. Since it was a Vail resort there were a few closed trails with mounds of snow and then towards the middle of the week it seemed like they were closing what good trails they had to force us onto the crappy trails.

Between the weather and COVID skiing ain't too much fun this year. I wonder how many will go to the slopes to ski when the temperature drops to zero and the wind is blowing but you can't go in the lodge? The locals can ski until they're cold then go home but for those of us that have to drive some distance, we won't do it.

So I'll probably only get 3 days out of my season pass this year :-(

Don't eat yellow snow (seems to more of it this year for some reason)!
Vote with your dollars next year and DON'T support Vail!!

abc

Stop being so fussy! Hard to believe anyone would rather discuss this crap than ski, I don't care if it's on one trail of ice cubes.
You have as much right to enjoy "one trail of ice cubes" as I have to not waste my time on it.

I'm not the least bit ashamed to be "fussy"

Last edited:

abc

Do you like bridges? I have a nifty one in Brooklyn I'd like to unload; good price too.
Which part do you find untrue? The "their lockdown was absolute and rigidly enforced" part, or the "
case level down to practically zero and now life goes on there" part?

VTKilarney

A peer reviewed study has shown that lockdowns have “no clear, significant beneficial effect”. Pardon the source for the article. Other than Fox News, I couldn't find any coverage from the mainstream media when I Googled it.

The actual paper can be found here:

I seem to recall some people saying that we need to, "listen to the science."

Puck it

A peer reviewed study has shown that lockdowns have “no clear, significant beneficial effect”. Pardon the source for the article. Other than Fox News, I couldn't find any coverage from the mainstream media when I Googled it.

The actual paper can be found here:

I seem to recall some people saying that we need to, "listen to the science."
There are multiple papers. I think 20-30 from around the world. Ivor Cummins out of Ireland has posting them on his pages. It is all about the optics have you not learned that.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

It helps to have a more successful approach when you have inside knowledge of the virus as you're willingly allowing it to spread around the globe while taking extreme precautions in your own country and lying about it to the rest of the world
All China had to do post lockdown to make it look to the world that their lockdown worked was lower the CT threshold of the tests and shazam! the case count plummets! :rolleyes:
China can then sell the lockdown BS narrative to the rest of the world gullible enough to believe the communist chinese party.

Last edited:

abc

All China had to do post lockdown to make it look to the world that their lockdown worked was lower the CT threshold of the tests and shazam! the case count plummets! :rolleyes:
China can then sell the lockdown BS narrative to the rest of the world gullible enough to believe the communist chinese party.
So I guess the part that people don't believe about China is that lockdown works.

But do you believe they HAD A LOCKDOWN in the first place? How long was the lockdown? All we have is the Chinese government said they had a virus, and had a lockdown, then the virus is no more. Which part of that narrative is real and which is not? Sounds like the part people have question is the virus not there any more part. But is there any evidence? Or was there any evidence there WAS a virus in one city only? Maybe the virus wasn't in that city at all? It maybe in a different city? They created this whole drama just for show?

I'm afraid I can't figure out what to believe when it comes to China.

Having said all that, what about Australia? And New Zealand? Seem they got rid of the virus there. Is that real? Did it prove lockdown works or did it prove lockdown is unnecessary?