• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

Smellytele

So I guess the part that people don't believe about China is that lockdown works.

But do you believe they HAD A LOCKDOWN in the first place? How long was the lockdown? All we have is the Chinese government said they had a virus, and had a lockdown, then the virus is no more. Which part of that narrative is real and which is not? Sounds like the part people have question is the virus not there any more part. But is there any evidence? Or was there any evidence there WAS a virus in one city only? Maybe the virus wasn't in that city at all? It maybe in a different city? They created this whole drama just for show?

I'm afraid I can't figure out what to believe when it comes to China.

Having said all that, what about Australia? And New Zealand? Seem they got rid of the virus there. Is that real? Did it prove lockdown works or did it prove lockdown is unnecessary?
China got rid of covid? https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-reports-over-100-covid-013624550.html

zoomzoom

you say that a peer reviewed study has shown that lockdowns have “no clear, significant beneficial effect”.

you clipped off part of the conclusion, there's more.

"Implementing any NPIs was associated with significant reductions in case growth in 9 out of
10 study countries, including South Korea and Sweden that implemented only lrNPIs (Spain had a
non-significant effect). After subtracting the epidemic and lrNPI effects, we find no clear, significant
beneficial effect of mrNPIs on case growth in any country."

they're saying that significant reductions in covid growth can be realized with non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs).

they also concluded that mrNPI's didn't offer significant reduction in covid growth rates over lrNPI's.

you quoted the RT headline without reading the actual conclusion in the paper.

here's another article showing the same conclusion, also from stanford.
https://siepr.stanford.edu/news/lives-saved-examination-lockdown-policies

drjeff

Well one thing for certain about a cold, windy day like today, mask wearing compliance in the liftlines, goes WAY up, even without prompting from the line attendants!!🤣

ScottySkis

In Sullivan county NY close to where I live ed from 2017 to 2019

Someone who recently went skiing in the Hudson Valley later tested positive for COVID-19.

Hope cuckoo does not stop ski because of this

jimmywilson69

I have to imagine that this has happened numerous times. I know of several people who ski my local place that have skied and then tested positive. fortunately I hadn't been in close contact with them, inside or even a chair lift while they were contagious. and no one outside of their families or close contacts have contracted it. so I would say that is a testament to the low likely hood of transmission while skiing.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Not sure it's newsworthy....this is happening daily between employees and guests. See- Hunter mountain patrol- that got attention because it shut down the mountain. But it's happening all over.

jimmywilson69

its asymptomatic spread that has made this thing so spreadable. Again if you are outside, wearing a mask in line, then skiing is relatively safe.

KustyTheKlown

lol holiday mountain. you can see the top of one of their chairs on the top of route 17 near monticello. my grandma and my uncle used to have bungalows on kutshers property, and we would sometimes ski holiday mountain when we were little kids. its the only place I've ever seen a hasidic skiing. which, come to think of it, that community is rampant with covid and a general sense of science denialism. i avoid those zones of Brooklyn like the, well, plague.

dblskifanatic

In Sullivan county NY close to where I live ed from 2017 to 2019

Someone who recently went skiing in the Hudson Valley later tested positive for COVID-19.

Hope cuckoo does not stop ski because of this

But... did they really get it from the ski area or somewhere in between or better yet not even on that day. That is where contact tracing falls short. Hard to pin point exactly where some gets infected.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

asnowmobiler

Are the bars and restaurants open in Vermont? I can't seem to find a clear answer on the Vermont website. Next Thursday I'll be heading to Stowe, Okemo and then Mt Snow on the way back to Pennsylvania.
I have a friend coming along that does not ski and hopping there is something for him to do while I ski. Knowing him he can spend the whole day at a bar.

tnt1234

Are the bars and restaurants open in Vermont? I can't seem to find a clear answer on the Vermont website. Next Thursday I'll be heading to Stowe, Okemo and then Mt Snow on the way back to Pennsylvania.
I have a friend coming along that does not ski and hopping there is something for him to do while I ski. Knowing him he can spend the whole day at a bar.
Just curious - what is your protocol for travelling with people outside your family? You guys getting tests before hand?

One of my ski buddies and I have been pondering this, how we could safely put something together.

BTW, he ended up getting Covid on a ski trip...

gittist

No bars are open at Vail owned resorts (check the Epic pass site to confirm). However I don't think the fancy village on the newer side of Stowe is owned by Vail so your buddy can get tanked there, maybe.

At Okemo he'll have to go to the Loft (over by the clock tower side). The bar at Jackson Gore is only for hotel guests due to COVID, besides the beer is real $$$ there.

We were up a few weeks ago and the restaurants in the Okemo area were open but reservations might be required. Don't forget that Vermont has a TWO week quarantine requirement and when you get back to PA, Gov Wolf expects you to do a 10-day quarantine too! Awful lot of quarantine for a few days skiing...

cdskier

It depends on the bar and restaurant. Some are open for take-out only. Some are open with limited indoor dining (typically requiring reservations). And some chose to stay closed...