• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crowds or lack there of?

POW

Alright so i'm definitely new to skiing..took it up 3 yrs ago so i'm going off of a rather shortened time period. But One of the things I've noticed this yr more so than the last 2 yrs is the somewhat lack of crowds during either weekends or holiday periods.

Dont get me wrong the resorts I've been to haven't been empty and I'd say the typical lift line wait has avg about 5 to 10 mins, and of course some of the more popular greens or blues have had steady traffic but nothing that has been an annoyance. I remember being at mt snow the weekend after the first big storm we had earlier in the season and the entire sun rook area was empty...the snow was great and I felt like I had the entire to myself.

I was also at Stowe during MLK weekend and again thought the crowds were really down.

i'll definitely be interested in what the crowds will be like this weekend after this weather event.

Is anyone else noticing this or am I just totally off base with this? I guess my thoughts have been maybe a slow economy and the fact that gas is still rather expensive not to mention a weekend day pass is 80+ dollars.

4aprice

Maybe travel costs have hit some people but here at the home bump the holiday crowds were there and they are expecting them big time for the Presidents week holiday. This even with most of the schools in this area making up for Sandy. After PD spring sports start and I like to say my ski season begins.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This weekend will be busier than usual for sure. The last 2 storms were the Christmas one this season, and the one before that was...um...when was the last storm before that? My point is there will be a lot of skiers eager to ski the most snow since 2011 that will be out there tomorrow and Sunday.
Crowds in the last year were down, and the year before that was average, so no, you're not off your rocker.