• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Damage from the thaw

ScottySkis

Don't forget probably 5 to 15 degree temps, with God only knows what kind of windchill numbers.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
High of 30 in the Catskills this Sunday, you could always go their not to cold, Hunter probably be making lots of snow.

kingslug

Hunter had very little damage just thin spots which are easily avoided. All trails where open and skied very nicely. There was an inversion of about 15 degrees..Nice moguls all over, Clairs was great!

Judder

Bennington, VT / Rochester, VT / Sugarbush
Was at the bush this past weekend. Great snow - excellent spring skiing. I'm envisioning a total ice fest after the thaw. A huge melt coupled with rain, has likely saturated the snowpack. Now that temps are back to normal I'm thinking its going to be rock hard. How bad is it out there?

No matter how much snow the guns pump out, I think we'll be skiing dust on crust for a long while. Anyone going out this week? Can you give me a more optimistic review or outlook?

fbrissette

I think we'll be skiing dust on crust for a long while.

That's pretty much it. I'll be skiing since I have a condo on the hill, but I'll get the shaped skis out and ski 90 minutes on the groomers very early on, before it becomes an icefest.

legalskier

Belleayre, Hunter & Windham reporting that they've resumed snow making (Platty probably doing the same), with night temps forecast to stay cold enough til the weekend. Plus, snow tonight into tomorrow.

Five nights of this will put them in good shape.

:fangun::fangun::fangun:

ScottySkis

Belleayre, Hunter & Windham reporting that they've resumed snow making (Platty probably doing the same), with night temps forecast to stay cold enough til the weekend. Plus, snow tonight into tomorrow.

Five nights of this will put them in good shape.

:fangun::fangun::fangun:

I love Platty but they definitely be behind the other 3 Catskills in sniwmaking.

AdironRider

Since you guys seem to get stuff a couple days to a week after I do, I would expect some deep freeze headed your way.

-27 at the base here in Jackson yesterday and 2 this morning. No real inversion to speak of, so it should be short lived.

moguler6

Not all the trail closures you're seeing up North are due to coverage but the freeze up of ungroomed terrain. Check Killington's trail report; OL, Ovation, Vertigo, Downdraft all have plenty of coverage on them but are closed. These will open up as the week goes on. This is probably what's going on with most of the terrain at Sugarbush and their unclear report.

But yes, everyone took a big hit and did lose some terrain.

SIKSKIER

This is where Cannons woefull snowmaking capacity is really showing itself.They need to go back and recover most major routes which take them forever,nevermind trying to get to the other half of trails they have yet to cover.In typical Cannon fashion,the second holiday event of the year will be a real shitshow to scare away the masses for the rest of the season.Selfishly for me,I like that but no,its not a good thing.

Puck it

This is where Cannons woefull snowmaking capacity is really showing itself.They need to go back and recover most major routes which take them forever,nevermind trying to get to the other half of trails they have yet to cover.In typical Cannon fashion,the second holiday event of the year will be a real shitshow to scare away the masses for the rest of the season.Selfishly for me,I like that but no,its not a good thing.

Woeful is way to noce for what we have been seeing. I would say pitifully antiquated.

Will we ever see Profile with snow let alone Zoomer and Rocket ths season?

Mpdsnowman

Well I went to my mountain today. We lost 90% of the natural but all the rest was there. Groomers were fine. Actually it was kinda like all last year lol snow on trails all else bare. But it was snowing again and the temps are falling everywhere so I think we can say the January thaw has been and gone...

kingslug

I'l tell you one thing..as bad as these thaw freezes go, they aren't anything like what can happen to places like Alta where grooming is subjective at best..the worst..and I mean worst conditions I ever attempted to ski on was last year in April at Alta after 3 warm days then a super hard freeze...thank god it absolutely puked that day and buried a lot of it but going off the beaten path was unreal..one guy even broke his leg...Squaw Valley was no peach either...but far better grooming...

Puck it

I'l tell you one thing..as bad as these thaw freezes go, they aren't anything like what can happen to places like Alta where grooming is subjective at best..the worst..and I mean worst conditions I ever attempted to ski on was last year in April at Alta after 3 warm days then a super hard freeze...thank god it absolutely puked that day and buried a lot of it but going off the beaten path was unreal..one guy even broke his leg...Squaw Valley was no peach either...but far better grooming...

Just an overnight freeze can through you for a loop out west until the sun softens up the crud. I was at Snowbird for the first time in Mineral Basin and was wondering why no one was dropping into the bowl skier's right. Well, I wish I had shock absorbers for legs as soon I dropped. It took until about 11AM for those chunks to soften up.