• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you collect trail maps?

jimmywilson69

I have them on either side of my door inside my office. Right side east coast, left side west coast.

It's nice to just drift away to a ski mountain when I need a break from the "grind"

bobbutts

In early 90s when I learned to ski I was gung ho and got every trail map I could find at rest stops and such. Now I usually I keep the maps to places I skied and occasionally willl glance at them before a trip if I plan on going to the same area. I still stock up at rest stops but usually toss them out at seasons end unless I skied it. I don't have affordable high speed internet option where I live so I like to keep the gather the paper maps since all of the area websites can be VERY slow for the map to appear on dial up. I usually keep just one lift ticket from an area I ski, throw away the rest.

Dial up? :cry:
FWIW Verizon 3g coverage is pretty good in Maine in my experience.. Guessing the $60 a month is not agreeable for you tho.

jaywbigred

Nope, never found them that useful, very difficult to refer to out in the elements with the wind and potential for wetness, not to mention cold hands and the pain of refolding. I might look at one in the lodge during a break or, more likely, on my computer the weeks/days/night before a trip to a new or otherwise unfamiliar mountain. Otherwise, I rely on the outdoor signs.

4aprice

I'm a collecter. I have some maps and brochures from the late 60's/early 70's in great shape and pull them out from time to time. I like to see the original layouts and have been known to actually somewhat plan my days concentrating on the original trails. Its interesting at larger areas like Killington and Sunday River to try to ski the original (in my lifetime) layout as much as possible.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

bigbog

Dial up? :cry:
FWIW Verizon 3g coverage is pretty good in Maine in my experience.. Guessing the $60 a month is not agreeable for you tho.

Compared to payscales in certain areas, along with all the taxes that lots of alert people over in NH talk about....those rates cut into a family's budget a lot more than what salaries closer to urban centers are set at. MagicJack is helping, so to will other uses of digital knowledge in the future. For a lot of people the issue of re-tooling/re-educating the workforce is one of the biggest issues facing society. Lots of what's in "coverge" is frivolous bilking of a family's income...IME. With costs rising above the levels of pay...outside of your urban centers other "strategies" do better.

Last edited:

JonD

I was cleaning out the basement this weekend and found a small stack of trail maps from the 90s, mostly New Hampshire mountains. If any collectors out there are interested in them, send me a PM and I'll mail them your way.

Mpdsnowman

I have a bunch I keep on some walls in my house. I tend to find them in my jacket pockets from the previous year lol..

BeefyBoy50

Yeah I collect maps! I didn't know anybody else did that.
I have a box filled with 100 maybe more, but it gets disheveled. To go with the flow, I decided to go paperless.
I started a folder with the current map of every ski area. Call it OCD but I can't leave alone the maps of the 100 foot vertical 10 acre ski areas. Its been a long project. Currently I'm stuck on ontario- most boring province. I already completed the US but i think i started in 08.
I can share it with anybody who wants it when I am eventually finished.
Maps are just so interesting to look at, especially ski maps- when I look at interesting ones I feel almost like I am on the runs and I can pore over a map for half an hour or so without getting bored.

emmaurice2

I keep all of my trail maps. I love looking at them and remember the runs I' ve taken and ones I plan on taking. Somehow, in one of my many moves, I lost the majority of the maps I had from the 1990' s. It' s upsetting because I had maps of areas that no longer exist or have since changed names.

bdfreetuna

I do collect trail maps but not as seriously as I used to.

I have a large ski area brochure collection which dates back to the 70s in terms of content but mostly is from the 80s and 90s. It fills a few large boxes.. and then there is another box full of trail maps.

Newpylong

I don't collect anymore but I think they are vital to preserving the history of skiing. Another shout out to skimap.org

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've never kept 'em, they are usualy ripped to shreds by the time I'm off the mountain.

I can't even recall the last time I actually opened one up ? I just kind of ski until I get to the lift :lol:

Smellytele

I've never kept 'em, they are usualy ripped to shreds by the time I'm off the mountain.

I can't even recall the last time I actually opened one up ? I just kind of ski until I get to the lift :lol:

I take one to use and a few others to keep. Most mountains I don't need one to use because I have either been there a few times or I have studied the map on-line for so long before I get there I have it memorized. :spin: