• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you get a Flu shot?

SkiFanE

My employer gives me a choice - flu shot or wear a mask Nov-April. Never had one and was petrified. Have never had the flu so I was so afraid it would upset my natural immunity. I don't care what professionals say - injecting anything into your body carries some type of risk. But besides a sore arm for a couple days - can't say anything is different. Get a decent cold about every other year and that's about all. my time off at work is from one bucket - so if I'm not using sick days it's all vacation - about 5 weeks/year.

SkiFanE

Get them apprehensively , 2yrs ago got one .Within 2hrs had a severe case of vertigo ,puked my guts out and chills, headache was down for 2 days. My mother in law refuses she's gotten sick 50% of the time. For me was once in 10yrs but scary.
I work in a hospital and every single clinician swears up and down that it is impossible to get sick from flu shot - it is pure coincidence that this happened to you, you would have gotten sick then anyway. I call BS lol.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I work in a hospital and every single clinician swears up and down that it is impossible to get sick from flu shot - it is pure coincidence that this happened to you, you would have gotten sick then anyway. I call BS lol.

Doctors.....I've been through the ringer with them as someone who's had Cancer for 20yrs and a life threatening side effect of a Monoclonal anti body treatment that went un diagnosed for 6 months your statement is laughable and aggravating at the same time. They were "Clinicians too" , I miss diagnosed by the supposed best, Hahah

My mother in law had issues also many years ago twice , whether allergy related ?, production issue? who knows?
one hell of a coincidence! To swear you Can't get sick is crazy , you're introducing a foreign substance into your body!

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. too
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1...36-mos-intramuscular/details/list-sideeffects

Last edited:

dlague

I never have gotten the flu shot and never gotten really sick. I wash hands frequently and avoid people that are sick. I have gotten colds but the flu shot does not help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

wa-loaf

I get them most years. Missed it a few years ago and got knocked down for 5 days with the flu.

bvibert

Staff member
I got one once several years ago because my new employer was offering them for free, or cheap. I haven't bothered since.

Jully

Doctors.....I've been through the ringer with them as someone who's had Cancer for 20yrs and a life threatening side effect of a Monoclonal anti body treatment that went un diagnosed for 6 months your statement is laughable and aggravating at the same time. They were "Clinicians too" , I miss diagnosed by the supposed best, Hahah

My mother in law had issues also many years ago twice , whether allergy related ?, production issue? who knows?
one hell of a coincidence! To swear you Can't get sick is crazy , you're introducing a foreign substance into your body!

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. too
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1...36-mos-intramuscular/details/list-sideeffects

That would depend what you classify "sick" as. Flu shots do not contain a live influenza virus, so you can't physically get the flu from it. You can technically have an allergic reaction to it depending on the type of vaccine, but that would be really rare, more rare than just getting sick at the same time as you get the vaccine.

Nasal sprays are live virus though.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
That would depend what you classify "sick" as. Flu shots do not contain a live influenza virus, so you can't physically get the flu from it. You can technically have an allergic reaction to it depending on the type of vaccine, but that would be really rare, more rare than just getting sick at the same time as you get the vaccine.

Nasal sprays are live virus though.

I would agree with that statement , you won't get the Flu from a shot but according to the link I posted there are about 25 side effects , I certainly had "Flu like " Symptoms . I had a horrible few hours after. My Mother in law refuses to get them anymore after her issues. Younger son got the mist a few years ago but is over the needle issues now.

I haven't had any issues the last few years and don't know anyone who has . My immediate family all get them.
Every time I get one I plan it with some down time afterwards as a precaution so as not to miss any work.

Rushski

I do. They do them every year at work, just have to walk about 100 feet.

Last year a co-worker didn't and got one of the covered strains.

SkiFanE

Or is the real mind control plot keeping some people believing that flu shots are bad? Weed out the weak minded conspiracy theorists, maybe?

Mind, blown.
Naw...I never had the flu without the flu shot. As soon as I'm not forced to get shot by my employer, I won't again and be fine.

ctenidae

Naw...I never had the flu without the flu shot. As soon as I'm not forced to get shot by my employer, I won't again and be fine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Conspiracy.jpg
    Conspiracy.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 72

hammer

Guess I just don't see what the issue is with getting one. There's usually a way to get it for free and it's available everywhere.

If you have a history of bad reactions from the shot (not the flu) then I can understand why not. Otherwise what's the worst that can happen, you still get the flu?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I never answered for my experiences. I have to get them for work. The results have been inconclusive when comparison non-flu shot years and flu shot years. Truthfully I wouldn't know if I've had the flu or not as I've never gotten tested. I'm just not someone who goes to the doctor except if something lasts at least three weeks. I've definitely had flu like symptoms / experiences while vaccinated.

I'm not anti-vaccination for kids. My son has all of his. I am against the idea of forcing a healthy adult to get the shot. I'm not against it enough to forgo it and switch occupations. It just seems a bit unnecessary for an adult who is in good health.

WoodCore

First flu shot was last year after my son was born last year. Because of being premature and requiring an extended stay in the NICU it was strongly suggested that everyone in close contact get the shot. No problems with that!

SkiFanE

My gripe is the total crapshoot of the shot to begin with. It's a gamble as to what viruses will pop up. I'd be interested in flu rates in the last 10-15 years since they've been widely available compared to 20 years ago. Sick, elderly - fine with me. But every year my kids Peds push it, my PCP pushes me. I'm he only one who gets it because I'm forced. My kids would be free, but I don't give it. I just don't think my body should be injected with something unless absolutely necessary. To take my current job I had to get MMR shot. I had both measles and rubella as a kid - so never needed vaccine. But with no mumps immunity - needed MMR. Fine with me - I didn't want mumps and the vaccine will 100% protect me. But man...now I know why my kids were always miserable with that shot - it hurts going in and for days. And you need two.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
My gripe is the total crapshoot of the shot to begin with. It's a gamble as to what viruses will pop up..

1+
So true , being forced to get a vaccine seems un American. How do you measure lives saved? My wife worked for Merck in the Vaccine division . It took 28yrs to get the Chicken pox vaccine approved and in that time about 2800 kids died.
Ironically the woman who cut my hair years ago lost her 10yr old nephew .
My wife's physician wouldn't give her the shingles vaccine because she wasn't 50 . She ended up with it twice and still has symptoms .
It's all about odds but it should be up to the individual.