• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you like this new logo?

Do you like this new logo?

• Yes, definitely.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, absolutely not.

• It's okay.

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
I'm trying to design a new logo for AlpineZone.com. Here's what I have so far:

Image Removed. See logo below.

Please vote in the poll and if you think there's room for improvement, comment in this thread. I like most of it, but the hiker and skier look a little weird for some reason. If you have logo graphic design experience and think you can help, PM me. Thanks!

Joshua B

I like it. So far the only change I would make would be to give the hiker some looser-fitting pants.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I like it. Two things and one idea drop out at me...

Will the orange text still be legible at smaller sizes?

The head of the skier doesn't look right. The combination of the backpack and the knit cap causes me to lose the shoulders. Perhaps not use a peaked cap?

Will you have a more compact variation suitable for patches or stickers?
:)

Max

I think the skier would look better without a backpack. Kind of looks like he's skiing with a kid carrier on his back, complete with kid. And the hat doesn't look right. The peak of his cap makes him look like a refugee from "da 'hood".

Otherwise I feel like Jaytrek...kind of like I'm in the Louvre and wondering where the paint-by-numbers exhibit is. :roll:

Max

ChileMass

New Logo

I am the last person to comment on artistic skills, and I am constantly impressed by Greg and others who maintain and improve these boards (nice job!). Still - I can't help but think the mountain in the new logo is a dead ringer for the Sugarloaf stickers you see everywhere.......

Greg

Staff member
WOW! :eek:

Some great feedback. Thanks everyone. It has help a lot. I've worked up a new prototype and incorporated many of your suggestions including:
  • Gave our hiker some looser-fitting pants
  • Fixed our skier's head a bit
  • Axed our skier's backpack
  • Modified the peak to be less Sugarloaf-esque.
Here's the latest (sorry if you have to scroll; the image is pretty big):
azlogo3_700.png

Let me know what you think! Additional comments are more than welcome.

MichaelJ - do you think people will be interested in patches or stickers or tee-shirts? I might consider setting something up through this site:

http://www.cafepress.com/

R

RichC

This is not Rich, its Diane.
A logo should be simple so it will translate well onto t-shirts, letter head etc... One of the most sucessful logos is the Nike chech mark..simple and effective
I like just the twined peaked mountain without the orange figures, maybe with the white line going downhill so it looks like a trail or Z for zone. The figures do not look in proportion.
I like the idea of having a t-shirt.

Its snowing in Sugar Hill.................yeah!

MtnMagic

I completely agree with Diane. The second version looks better and is more eye appealing. Wonder how it would look w/o the figures. __________________
T-shirts from this site would be great!

Greg

Staff member
Thanks Diane and Magic. I agree. My goal all along was to create a logo that is simple and clean, which I think the peak is. I also wanted to somehow incorporate the the site's topics, namely skiing and hiking; thus our little orange friends. :wink: So...try dropping them, eh? Hmm. So just the double peak could become the logo? How about a triple peak with two smaller ones flanking a larger middle one? Any other comments or ideas?

Cafepress offers a lot of items in addition to T-shirts like bumper stickers, those trendy oval stickers, mugs, mouse pads, etc. Their T's are those nice Hanes Beefy-Tees. Anyway, when I get a logo finalized, I'll order a few items to check the quality of the products and the printing. Is anyone else interested in AlpineZone merchandise?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Greg,
I actually liked the first one better. The figures do make this one a little too busy and are oddly proportioned.

I really like the 3 colors you've chosen. They complement well.

The full text layout makes for a great banner, but I think a simpler logo might be useful, too. Especially if you decide to make patches, which don't want to be that wide an aspect. I'm thinking that the logo graphic should be able to stand alone, apart from the banner.

How about giving the big banner the hiker and skier on the AlpineZone.com text? Then the mountain peak becomes an icon, and can also be combined with just "AlpineZone" to make a square-ish logo for things like patches?

I have no creative talent, so definitely take these with a grain of salt.
:)

And absolutely, I'd take a patch or a window sticker (or both, I'm easy).

MtnMagic

A friend of mine once was to open his first business. He wrote down the names of many names he considered to call it. Then he had a few logos. We voted on it.

Greg

Staff member
What about these:

bluelogo_4_400.png

greenlogo_4_400.png

I really want to incorporate the orange into the peak icon somehow. I was thinking a sun setting between two of the peaks (is that too VFTT-ish?). Any other ideas?

MichaelJ - thanks for the ideas and the compliment on the colors. They were pulled from the colors already here. I know what you mean by keeping the full logo compact enough horizontally for use on stickers and patches. I'll work on that once I get the peak finalized. I really would like to avoid multiple versions. I think I'll be able to compress the text a bit to acheive something that will work.

Thanks everybody. Keep the comments coming. They really do help!

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I like the one that has the blues with the orange hiker and skier. For a sticker and the banner of the top of the site it is perfect. If you wanted a patch you could always take the Blue mountains with the skier and hiker and put the words (at least the name of the site) on the mountain.

MtnMagic

I like the blue because it matches your site, even though most mtns are green. Don't know how a setting sun would look until seen. I always felt logo's should be simple. Such that even if one dosen't speak English they can id the product, or in this case the site. You should receive comments tonight and this weekend.

Greg

Staff member
MtnMagic said:
I like the blue because it matches your site, even though most mtns are green.
Hey Magic. I'm doing two version as I like to change the site's color scheme to reflect the season. The Hiking and Gear pages are using the green now. I think the blue icon will be the default though.

SilentCal

I like the triple summit idea and the rotating seasonal color change. It's very unique. I would personally keep words out of the design and let the logo stand for itself. Just my opinion.

Joshua B

I'll just take a guess and say when Greg refers to "logo" he is designing what will first and foremost be his web site graphic header. So he wants the name of the site in there somewhere.

Greg

Staff member
Josh is right. I want to design one logo which will contain both the peak icon and the text. i think I'm 95% there with these:

bluelogo_4c_600.png

greenlogo_4c_600.png

Again, I still would like to bring in an orange component between the peak icon and the "A". My thoughts are:

1 - An orange sun
2 - Bring back our friends: Skier for blue version; hiker for green
3 - Leave it as is
4 - ???

Please share your ideas...

For the Tee-shirt, I'm thinking about putting a large peak icon only on the back, with the text logo across the front. I think that would be cool! 8)

Max

I like this latest triple peak version Greg, and I like the blue better than the green since I think it's a nicer contrast with the orange lettering. It would make a great bumper sticker as is without the 2 figures. But for a T-shirt, I think the figures add some movement which works better in that application. It seems like this last one works best as a linear layout, (such as a bumper sticker), where a T-shirt design seems more pleasing if it's more squarish. Am I expressing myself clearly? Maybe that's my problem, along with being artistically challenged! :D

Max