• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

East Coast One Ski Quiver Help

BenedictGomez

The Sneak

I am still on 2008 Prophet 90s. I have been trying out various newer skis and have yet to find something I like better overall. The closest thus far are the Libtech Wreckreates. I demo'd those @ Brighton UT a few weeks ago and they were lots of fun.

cc1

Steadfast review is accurate. I tried the 178cm but thought too long for the trees/tighter bumps stuff. They will buck you around in the bumps and irregular terrain of trees. Try the K2 Rictor at 80mm, next year will be 82mm and they will make a 90mm Rictor, nice flex on the 80mm Rictor for more versatility yet no problem holding on icy icy bumps and firm groomers.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
My brother just bought his EC one ski quiver today at Zimmerman's in Nashua, NH. Line Blends. A little wide at 100 underfoot, but he almost couldn't pass it up at $350.

Savemeasammy

I'm late to the party on this one, but I thought I'd throw in my .02. I'm 41, 5'9, 160ish. I just got back into skiing after a 15 or so year hiatus. I ski pretty aggressively, and I love bumps. I demoed a few skis on the advice of a ski shop (atomic blackeyes and k2 impacts). I liked both for their super easy turning qualities, but they fell short in the bumps. They just felt clumsy to me (and I definitely did not like the flaired up tail on the blackeyes - it was a penalty when I got in the back seat in the bumps...).

Not to get too long winded.... I did some research and ended up buying Hart F17 classics. They are a mogul ski, but with slightly wider cut so it can also be used as an all mountain ski (so to speak). 103-66-89 175's. I like them everywhere, and I find they can make whatever kind of turn I want - short turns (which is my m.o.), or big super G turns. I like them well enough in powder, and they are great in the woods because they turn quickly. I also find they seem easier to skid than the other skis I tried (this sometimes comes in handy in the bumps!). The only weakness I found so far was in crud and frozen corn. My guess is that the tips are a bit soft for these conditions.

For what it's worth, if anyone out there is in the market for skis, Hart is blowing out the rest of their skis on the cheap! I actually spoke with their ceo on the phone yesterday (about a chipping issue), and not only did he talk to me for almost a half hour about their skis and skiing in general, but he also sold me a pair of skis for my boy. He even took my credit card info and such rather than passing me off to someone else. I thought it was pretty cool that he would take the time to speak to a customer personally. He told me if I knew of anyone who was in the market for skis to pass along the fact that they are selling them cheap (about what they charge to dealers).

There is no doubt about it, there sure is a hell of a lot out there to choose from!

catsup948

180 Volkl Explosiv Buddah edition! Circa 2003. 95mm waist pretty much no side cut. Bomber ski. Best east coast ski ever! Skis are stiff as hell, so they rail groomers, destroy crud, float well in east coast powder. Mine are dead now though after 600+ plus days on them. I don't know what I can replace them with. I have a pair of 187 High Society free rides great for powder and touring in Vermont but they just don't cut it on groomers nor do I really need them in Massachusetts.

Volkl made a massive mistake in getting rid of this ski 10 years ago. Mantras are fun but they don't near have the same hero factor as the Exploders!

xwhaler

180 Volkl Explosiv Buddah edition! Circa 2003. 95mm waist pretty much no side cut. Bomber ski. Best east coast ski ever! Skis are stiff as hell, so they rail groomers, destroy crud, float well in east coast powder. Mine are dead now though after 600+ plus days on them. I don't know what I can replace them with. I have a pair of 187 High Society free rides great for powder and touring in Vermont but they just don't cut it on groomers nor do I really need them in Massachusetts.

Volkl made a massive mistake in getting rid of this ski 10 years ago. Mantras are fun but they don't near have the same hero factor as the Exploders!

Jamie, pick up a pair of Surface Watch Lifes as I did on the cheap...I think you will enjoy them...they are stiff like you like em ;)
-Chris

jrmagic

I see Exploders up for sale often enough on boards with lots of trade though admittedly this time of year is tough.