• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

End of paper trail maps?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I typically don’t use a paper map while I’m skiing, but I love to keep a collection of them going and to break them out during lunch or after a day of skiing. There’s something about a physical map that a pdf map on a phone just can’t replicate. I do like interactive trail maps like Killington’s where you can get a visual on what is and isn’t open. It’s much easier to have a visual than to just go off of the listed trail status.

Yes

I think all major areas should have a vicoMap or something similar. So much easier to scan what is open vs looking at a list

abc

There’s something about a physical map that a pdf map on a phone just can’t replicate.
That "something" is just the size of the map. Hard to carry a phone big enough to compete with a paper map.

I do like interactive trail maps like Killington’s where you can get a visual on what is and isn’t open. It’s much easier to have a visual than to just go off of the listed trail status.
Now that's a good use of new technology that people will "change" to, instead of forcing them to use their phone by not supplying paper maps.

That said, Steamboat put out a stack of 1 page paper with the freshly groomed runs highlighted. I found that quite handy too.

dblskifanatic

I liked trail maps on the chair lift like at Vail resorts in CO. With the Epic mix app you can look up trails to see if they are open. Worked very well - you have time to kill on the lift and the map is right there in front of you.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
people use their poles to point out certain spots on the maps, further degrading them.

This is my biggest pet peeve about the skiing GP (general public). Worse than standing at lift maze entrances. Worse than leaving skis in the snow. Worse than standing in the middle of the trail.

The ONLY place you really have to "navigate" when skiing a new place is the top where it's typically a cluster F of small connecting trails (ex- Killington summit, top of Lincoln express at SB, most of SR's chondola area). Sucks when you can't see those.

dblskifanatic

This is my biggest pet peeve about the skiing GP (general public). Worse than standing at lift maze entrances. Worse than leaving skis in the snow. Worse than standing in the middle of the trail.

The ONLY place you really have to "navigate" when skiing a new place is the top where it's typically a cluster F of small connecting trails (ex- Killington summit, top of Lincoln express at SB, most of SR's chondola area). Sucks when you can't see those.

I found that trail maps at Breck, Keystone, Vail (especially Vail) were useful knowing how to navigate from one peak to another or one chair lift to another one wrong trial and you are skiing something else or on a long runout or wasting time trying to get back where you were.. After you skied there a few times then no biggie. I never really had that problem here in the east except for Killington. Most places, a quick look before skiing is all you really need.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Lucked out today at Sunapee. I had dropped my skis off yesterday for a tune. Picking them up this morning I noticed a couple of last year's maps on the counter at the tune shop so I snagged one for my son.

tumbler

Where's the Lincoln Express at SB?

cdskier

I was wondering that same thing...but thought maybe "SB" referred to some other mountain that I simply wasn't familiar with that did have a lift called the "Lincoln Express".

urungus

I will be seriously bummed out if there are no more paper trail maps. When visiting a new area, I always get two copies, one for my home collection goes straight into the boot bag. The other into my pocket for studying on the chairlift, and spreading out on the table at lunch to recollect the morning’s runs and plan for the afternoon. With a phone it’s hard to see the big picture.

Zand

I was wondering that same thing...but thought maybe "SB" referred to some other mountain that I simply wasn't familiar with that did have a lift called the "Lincoln Express".
The only Lincoln Express I know is at Loon, and South Peak is one of the few peaks out there that ISN'T a total CF yet lol.

I rarely use trail maps at most mountains as I know my way around almost everywhere but the one place I just can't do out of memory is Sugarloaf. Its always nice to have a paper map at a place like that, especially when its fogged in and you have no idea where you are.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sugarloaf I always have to refresh myself. I get confused with which X Cut drops you where.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Scored another map for my son on Sunday. I asked the rental shop guys at Crotched if they had a map from last year stuck in a drawer somewhere and they found one. So, now he has Sunapee and Crotched maps on his bedroom wall.

Definite plans for places to ski with him remaining this season include: Wildcat, Attitash, Saddleback, Okemo and Stowe. Outside chance we hit Cannon and maybe Mt Snow.

Hopefully I'm able to get a map at each. When I heard him awake in his room this morning, I came in to find him talking to himself while studying his maps and reminiscing about what he has skied this season. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_072358933.jpg
    IMG_20210113_072358933.jpg
    860.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Edd

jimk

Hopefully, any discontinued paper trail maps make a comeback next year after the covid financial crunch. I have a geography/cartography background so I love 'em as much as the rest of you guys.

The ironic thing is a number of places seemed to UP their hardcopy map game by introducing the fancy stone/paper versions about 3 or 4 years ago, including Telluride, Deer Valley, Tahoe Donner, Solitude, Mt. Hood Meadows, Sun Valley, Mt. Washington, Bogus Basin, Sugar Bowl, Panorama, and Crystal Mountain (per http://www.stonepaperinfo.com/about/).
The stone paper maps feel a little rubbery and the ink colors seem a bit muted. Supposedly, they won't tear as easily and are water resistant. They could be good, but I haven't tried testing/tearing some of mine and I don't know how well the ink will hold up if they got real wet. I wonder how much more expensive they are than regular paper trail maps? They are supposed to be more eco-friendly than regular paper?

Last edited:

urungus

I asked for a map at main ticket booth at Mt Snow on Sunday and they said they were not printing any this year 😢

PAabe

I prefer to not get out my phone while skiing especially on the lifts when one would usually be wanting to look at a trail map. Can easily drop it, it gets cold, the batteries die, fingers are cold or covered in gloves, screen is too small or glare to bad to make out a map on it anyway. If most places had more big maps around at the top of the lifts and at junctions it would be less of an issue. Good opportunity to get some revenue from businesses advertising on the maps also, and I like to hang them up in my bedroom.

drjeff

Agree that some paper maps should be available.

But lets also be honest and admit that there are sometimes when frankly paper maps are a pain in the butt as well. Like when you're on a lift, and the wind is howling, and you're trying to hold onto it and not get it shredded by the wind, let alone the challenges of trying to then fold it back up and get it back into your pocket after. If there's precipitation falling from the sky, not always the most user friendly thing either, since when you fold it up and put it away, that paper is likely to get wet and then sticks together in your pocket and can shred when you go to open it up later.

I certainly have plenty of old paper maps in my collection, and I do enjoy the nostalgia they bring. They aren't the perfect thing though, if we're honest. The digital app based maps aren't perfect either ffor all the reasons listed in this thread.

Frankly if some members of the skiing/riding community didn't feel the need to scratch, rip, sticker coat, etc, the maps that sme resorts put on lift safety bars, or others scratch the larger fixed maps often found at the top of lifts with their ski pole tips, those to me atleast, seemed to be the most effective way to help me learn a ski area that I was unfamilar with

Last edited: