• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ever missed years of skiing?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
06-07 ,Once in 41 yrs. Was in the hospital 7 times that winter till my Awesome Doctor, David Fisher at Dana Farber figured out what my illness was . Ironically came home after a big snow, neighbor had to bring me home with chains on his 4x4. Was painful to look out the window.

mriceyman

Yep this is the first year i wont get out since i started 14 years ago. If it was a better winter i wouldve gotten out earlier in the season but once new years came and i had a 2nd kid it just wasnt in the cards. Before kids i managed 20 days a year.. Since kids its about 5 until this year. Next year 1st kid will be 3 so hopefully get him stArted.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bigkhan

Started skiing in high school and continued for the next 6 years going 30+ days a year. The next 10 years I only skied maybe 5 times total due to work schedule at first, then having My daughter. My daughter wanted to learn how to ski so in the past 2 years I've made it out about 40 times. So glad she's enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

I think a common theme here is don't get involved with a woman that doesn't ski. :)

Hah...a woman that skis is my #1 criteria! Of course that seems to really be limiting my options so far (at least living in NJ)...

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
A beautiful girl convinced me to start cross country skiing. I didn't want to go but she was very convincing. Then I realized instead of dreading winter I looked forward to it. I got very hooked. I started riding lifts when I realized that natural snow was often lacking. My first time at Gore I was in leather boots and 210s.

snoseek

US navy took me away from skiing for a couple years although a full year i cant recall. We did some time at massanutten one year.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Started skiing at about 3 years old. Was in ski clubs through elementary school and went pretty often. Got into basketball pretty heavily in middle school and only went once or twice a year after that. I was probably 20 the last time I put on skis. Started snowboarding at 27.

witch hobble

:spread:I'm lucky to say that I've never missed a season in my life. I was shot out of the womb and onto Outer Limits.

It has never occurred to me to take a season off. Didn't even realize it was an option:spread:

SkiFanE

From 1970 to 1994 I went every winter. Maybe twice/year during college winter breaks. Epic winter of 95/96 I had a March baby, first year off. 1-2 times first couple years after. Then baby due summer of 2000, so none that winter. Baby due sept 1 2005 allowed me to ski til April then back by next thanksgiving - best time to have a baby and not miss a season.

All 3 of my kids are great skiers and it's become a big part of their lives. I'm glad we stuck with the sport. My 30s were lean ski years for me - but also think that helped spare my knees - because at my age I can bump day after day and won't even feel my knees til end of day - I've been fortunate to never had a ski injury (except for bruises - thin cover on stump Sunday made for hard landing on thigh - nasty lol).

I dread the day I can no longer ski. Why I probably ski my ass off now :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Missed only one season. The year after I graduated college I got recruited by a respected hotel company in Ohio. I took the gig for ROI on my hospitality degree. Quit after a year and took a job at Snowshoe in WV the following year. Made a promise to myself I'd never miss a ski season again as long as I am physically capable of skiing.

mikec142

Skied a decent amount as a kid all the way through high school. Kept it up in college too. Post college did Mount Snow ski shares with friends and the girlfriend (now wife) for about five years. Then, marriage and kids and took about 5 years off (occasional day or two during this time). Now the kids are into it and we've been pretty active skiers as a family for the past 7-8 years.

bigbog

The first 28yrs... Forever wish my uncle would've kidnapped me, he skied the ADKs a LOT and out West AMAP. Wachusett's $8 night sessions truly saved my life....

Last edited:

4aprice

I think a common theme here is don't get involved with a woman that doesn't ski. :)

Quote of the Thread. Tell my son this all the time. He won't survive (or at least any relationship he's in won't survive) without one. I know some young ladies using the same criteria as well. Don't ski, off the list.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
My wife doesn't ski. My long time college girlfriend did, but was pretty terrible and lacked the desire to advance beyond low intermediate terrain.

It's better being involved with a non skier than one at a vastly different ability level.

I rather enjoy that my wife doesn't ski. Gives me "me" time to go hang with the guys.

NYDB

what did you do for ASC? corporate ski job is sort of my dream job. use my professional degree in an industry that means a lot to me. i was considering moving to CO and was looking at vail resorts job page, which had plenty of options that suited my background.

I worked finance, budgets, worked with mountain controllers, hotel operators, etc. implementing accounting systems,. I am much happier being self employed now, and having nothing to do with the 'hospitality' industry.