• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EVs - New Hampshire gets it right

BodeMiller1

Batteries are $10,000 for full EV? Hybrids would be less I assume.

Our 2012 Prius has the original batteries, with 140,000 miles on it.

How do you tell if the batteries are bad? Mileage would drop? The mileage remains unchanged at about 52mpg.

I'd bet the ROI on our car (extra spent on hybrid vs gas money saved) is ok after 140k.

What is the value of plus 10mpg for 140k miles? I can't remember what that car cost, but it wasn't much.
14,000 Miles

3.259 gas $ 429.5796256520405

$430.00 USD

"Penny saved is a penny earned" - Momma

"Now maybe you know Mamma's right and you're wrong"

Waterboy

Andrew B.

Personal politics? Not at all. I'm not some greeny. I could give a shit that electric is greener.

I'm bullish because it's better tech. That's it. Electric is FAR more efficient and not only that, it out performs ICE considerably. We've had ICE vehicles way over a century and are basically at the end of the line in terms of technology development. We have reached our limits on efficiency and performance. EVs have basically only really been worked on in earnest this century. Already better. From a performance perspective, how many ICE cars come close to performing like a Tesla 3 in that price range?

If my politics had anything to do with this discussion, I'd be the opposite. I'd be rooting for the EV industry to collapse because I think Musk is one of the biggest Aholes on the planet and don't want to support something that further enriches him. You probably love him.
I remember hearing in the early 2000’s that the 2006 emission reg’s would be the end of outboards, they couldn’t be improved to comply. They keep improving to the point that no one around here wants out drives anymore. All multi O/B’s or big single screw deisels.

I don’t think we can count out improvement to ICE vehicles as impossible just yet.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I remember hearing in the early 2000’s that the 2006 emission reg’s would be the end of outboards, they couldn’t be improved to comply. They keep improving to the point that no one around here wants out drives anymore. All multi O/B’s or big single screw deisels.

I don’t think we can count out improvement to ICE vehicles as impossible just yet.

This is a great point often forgotten. 50mpg with ICE on the highway is a real possibility in the next few years. And ICE emissions are almost nothing compared to what people were driving 25 years ago, which were next to nothing compared to 25 years before that. That trend is only going to continue.

mister moose

The technology is superior from a fuel through put efficiency position and the simplicity of the engine design. EVs convert 75% of power to motion, ICE 25%.
Hold on. EV's convert 75% of WHAT energy to motion? Does that include losses in the car itself? Battery losses? Resistive losses when charging? Resistive losses from powerplant to home? And now for the big kahuna - what about the power source for the electricity itself? How much of the electricity generated is a percentage of all fuels used? (Natural gas 38%, coal 23% nationally) I think you are way off.
Our 2012 Prius has the original batteries, with 140,000 miles on it.

How do you tell if the batteries are bad? Mileage would drop? The mileage remains unchanged at about 52mpg.

A lot of that 52mpg is coming from the squirrel sized gas engine and resultant performance/cargo room. If you downsize the performance of everyone's car, fleet mpg would go up. Hybrid SUVs the size of a Tahoe aren't going to get 50mpg.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
This is a great point often forgotten. 50mpg with ICE on the highway is a real possibility in the next few years. And ICE emissions are almost nothing compared to what people were driving 25 years ago, which were next to nothing compared to 25 years before that. That trend is only going to continue.

Emissions are truly low, a real success story. The CO2 remains.

I had a 1.5 liter turbo Honda CRV that was getting me 37 in summer and 32 in winter. (winter more highway and mountains and different gas). A great motor, before I totalled it and replaced with a CRV hybrid. Can honestly say, even with 40-45 mpg on the hybrid, I liked the old car better.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
A lot of that 52mpg is coming from the squirrel sized gas engine and resultant performance/cargo room.
No doubt. That car gets 35+ running on gas only. Cargo room is primo IMO. MTB in the back without removing wheels or bike seat.

I agree on the sizing. That new CRV got BIGGER so the hybrid mileage isn't too much of an improvement. I think the new one is too big.

drjeff

A lot of that 52mpg is coming from the squirrel sized gas engine and resultant performance/cargo room. If you downsize the performance of everyone's car, fleet mpg would go up. Hybrid SUVs the size of a Tahoe aren't going to get 50mpg.
Agree!

My wife has the Volvo XC90 Hybrid, a 5108lb beast. If it's on its roughly 30 - 40 miles of full EV mileage it gets on a full charge, it gets 55ish MPG. My wife and I did a full gas tank on a up and back to VT recently where we topped off the tank in CT after the battery charge was at zero after a bunch of running around doing errands, and we averaged about 26 MPG on that tank of Super (which Volvo wants running in the engine)

On average when my wife is driving it to/from work (she can get to work and maybe about 1/4th of the way home on a charge) and around town, a full tank of gas with multiple charges during that tank use will net her 35 - 40 MPG depending on how many charges she gives it during that tank of Super, and that's been pretty standard mileage for her in the now going on 18 month since she got it

Smellytele

Agree!

My wife has the Volvo XC90 Hybrid, a 5108lb beast. If it's on its roughly 30 - 40 miles of full EV mileage it gets on a full charge, it gets 55ish MPG. My wife and I did a full gas tank on a up and back to VT recently where we topped off the tank in CT after the battery charge was at zero after a bunch of running around doing errands, and we averaged about 26 MPG on that tank of Super (which Volvo wants running in the engine)

On average when my wife is driving it to/from work (she can get to work and maybe about 1/4th of the way home on a charge) and around town, a full tank of gas with multiple charges during that tank use will net her 35 - 40 MPG depending on how many charges she gives it during that tank of Super, and that's been pretty standard mileage for her in the now going on 18 month since she got it
So a plug-in hybrid. We have a non plug-in 2023 hybrid Toyota rav4. Only getting about 38mpg. Our old 2016 crv ice got 31mpg so not much of a difference.
The hybrid has more things to go wrong. Rav4 is new and hope to have it only 3 years on a lease so hope to avoid any major repairs.

nelsapbm

So a plug-in hybrid. We have a non plug-in 2023 hybrid Toyota rav4. Only getting about 38mpg. Our old 2016 crv ice got 31mpg so not much of a difference.
The hybrid has more things to go wrong. Rav4 is new and hope to have it only 3 years on a lease so hope to avoid any major repairs.
I also have a 2023 RAV4 hybrid (non-plug in) and get about 45mpg (I drive in Eco mode - or whatever it's called). Do you do a lot of highway driving?

Reactions: zyk

zyk

I also have a 2023 RAV4 hybrid (non-plug in) and get about 45mpg (I drive in Eco mode - or whatever it's called). Do you do a lot of highway driving?
My wife is averaging about 45 on a 2022. The older non hybrid one is about 26. She travels for work and I work mostly from home. Oh and my truck gets about 15 but if you have to tow a tractor... Anyway liking the newer one

Edd

We have the 2021 RAV4 Hybrid and the average for the last 3 years is over 42. In the summer, it gets as much as 48 and down to 37 mid-winter.

Smellytele

BodeMiller1

Agree!

Your wife has a super nice car. I'm thinking with a Volvo they're going to be safer than other EVs. The new Volvos are great looking cars. That's what they don't tell you on channel 9.

When I was at McDevitt Trucks in Manchester I was at a party and the principle Jack was there. I tried to get him to take a used Mack and make it as green as possible even though no one would ever buy one.

Put solar cells on the cab and do a couple of things the mechanics where thinking was possible (over my head). Around that time early 2000s trash trucks where beginning to go to hybrids. Because they start and stop, over and over, it's easy to convert the braking back into power. Buses are similar.

File under Heavy Highway.

Attachments

• 617199d6a83c3.image.jpg
    617199d6a83c3.image.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 3

drjeff

Your wife has a super nice car. I'm thinking with a Volvo they're going to be safer than other EVs. The new Volvos are great looking cars. That's what they don't tell you on channel 9.

When I was at McDevitt Trucks in Manchester I was at a party and the principle Jack was there. I tried to get him to take a used Mack and make it as green as possible even though no one would ever buy one.

Put solar cells on the cab and do a couple of things the mechanics where thinking was possible (over my head). Around that time early 2000s trash trucks where beginning to go to hybrids. Because they start and stop, over and over, it's easy to convert the braking back into power. Buses are similar.

File under Heavy Highway.
I will admit that I really do enjoy both driving and riding in her XC90. The only 2 things I wish were different is #1, that the battery life was longer, say maybe 50 to 75 miles on full EV vs the 30 to 40 miles she gets now, that would cover most of her work commutes, and #2, to me atleast, the way the gear shifter functions, is completely counter intuitive. To get her car into a forward gear, you pull BACK of the gear shifter and to get her car into reverse, you push FORWARD on the gear shifter!! I will totally admit that the 1st few times I drove it, I almost had an incident two with getting out of parking spaces and our garage beause of that backwards to my brain set up! ;):ROFLMAO: