• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gas Prices = Apprehension for Next Season?

SkiDork

are You Kidding Me:smash:

i Have 18 Years Of Experience Form The Other Side As Being A Child. I'm Conciously Trying To Do The Opposite Of What My Parents Did. They Both Worked Their Ass Off And Could Have Been Less Owned By Their Jobs. They Were Spenders.

Rofl!!! Potd!!!

snoseek

Like I said in my previous post, good on you for picking the road that works best for you. I have no problem with that. Just don't imply the road others took is the wrong way, or that they're not following it correctly.

No doubt. One final point I will make though. Family is an experience, that's for sure.

Final thought in this epic hijack-I've never met anyone that regrets having kids whether its planned or the mother of all mistakes. That tells me that it must be quite an experience. I'm getting older @ 35 but g.f. is 25 so we have +- 15 years to change our minds. I don't think it will ever happen though.

tjf67

Isn't the ski industry kinda recession proof?

There operating costs are going to go through the roof. Have the day pass prices for next season come out? Good thing for passes.

tjf67

like I Said In My Previous Post, Good On You For Picking The Road That Works Best For You. I Have No Problem With That. Just Don't Imply The Road Others Took Is The Wrong Way, Or That They're Not Following It Correctly.

No Doubt. One Final Point I Will Make Though. Family is an Experience, That's For Sure.

Rearrrrr Cat Fight

deadheadskier

Staff member
Rofl!!! Potd!!!

I think this is what snoseek was referring to regarding his feeling that his sister takes a somewhat 'elitist' attitude over him because she has kids and he does not.

Look I think it goes without saying that someone who is a parent has a different perspective than someone who doesn't have kids. This doesn't mean however, that someone without kids can't have a valid opinion on what constitutes good parenting. There are great parents and bad parents no matter what level of wealth and I don't think it takes having a child of your own to see the difference.

I don't know Greg, but he seems to be a stand up guy and I assume a great parent. I don't think snoseek was saying he is a bad parent or made the wrong choice by having a two income family with kids in pre-school.

Probably isn't really worth discussing further. Perhaps were all just a little moody because our fuel tanks are on E and there are no lifts spinning even if they were full :lol:

Greg

Staff member
deadhead - it wasn't that long ago that I wasn't a parent. You go into it with some idea of what to expect, but most of it is on the job training. One thing is for sure - it will challenge just about everything about yourself you thought you knew.

snoseek

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No we just need some good ol' summer flame wars in this bitch!!!!!!!!!

I was pretty high last night when I made most of my post!!! I'm going skiing now.

I'm sure Greg is a great example of a good parent-when he let's the kids out of the basement:lol:

Side note-bobr is one of the few guys I've met that chose both paths.

deadheadskier

Staff member
deadhead - it wasn't that long ago that I wasn't a parent. You go into it with some idea of what to expect, but most of it is on the job training. One thing is for sure - it will challenge just about everything about yourself you thought you knew.

I have no doubt that this is true. No delusions there on my part

awf170

I find the increased gas issue is blown way out of proportion for the non poor. It takes about 22 gallons of gas for me to go from westchester to Killington roundtrip. Say gas prices will increase $2.00 a gallon from this ski season from the previous. My weekend is costing me $44 more. At $2.50, $55 more. For my wife and I , discounted lift tixes will be $172 for 2 days. Lodging about $250. Food, maybe about $150. If gas is $5 a gallon, it will cost $110. $682 for the weekend instead of say $630. That's an increase in total cost of less than 10%. Add an extra day or kids to the mix, and the % price increase gets much smaller. Is this really a big deal? Hell, bring a hot plate or stay at a place with access to a microwave and don't go out for dinner and your ahead of the game.

Yes, but there are some of us who's only cost is gas, then the percent increase is huge. More than half my days on the east this year were hiking for turns. I bring a lunch and don't eat supper until I get home. Sometimes I'll spend $4 for breakfast. An increase from $3 to $5 will therefore make a huge difference for me since I do so many long day trips. It won't really affect me too much though since I'm such a cheap bastard in every other aspect of life that I always have a lot of money saved up. It will just make me reconsider going up when conditions are marginal if I don't have someone to split the gas with.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
For me....the high price of gas is a problem but not one to go screaming into the night. Most of us have services/products and recreation which are discretionarey items....we don't need them to survive. You have to evaluate that and decide which ones are the most important. Not easy but imperative. Assess, adapt and overcome.

With three teenagers/young adults, all who drive, this has been an incredible learning, dare I say, reality check for them. They all work.

Personally I believe the prices of crude are not supported by fundementals but by speculation, it's bubble, it will burst.

A Geoff mentioned part of the unreal price of crude supports is the weak dollar. It's a big one.

Supply is another part of the problem but increased drilling for increased supply will do nothing as we have a huge bottleneck in the pipeline. With no new refineries builtt in 37 years, some have expanded, means that without refinery capacity expansion, more production would solve anything. There are some new huge refineries close to being put online in Russia and China.

Drilling in places like the tiny ANWR would be totally lame IMHO as it would do nothing to solve the problem. The big oil companies are trying to increase production at places where it makes sense. They whine alot but billions in profits means they have plenty of money to invest in this. They know that they have to find new oil to keep the money rolling in.

I worked in Gillette, Wyoming(1976-1978) the nations center of low sulfur coal production for potential clean energy producing source. They have several huge surface mines employing thousands to mine the coal. This is surface mining, the miners drive huge air conditioned Trex trucks. This is not Kentucky coal mining. If Campell County was a country it would be 5th in the world in coal reserves. With advances in power plant environmental emission controls like scrubber on their stacks it could be part of the solution.

There is not much we can really do at the moment about demand. Domestically we have reduced our demand by about 5% but the demand by the energy sucking industrial growth of Chine, India and other countries growing like weeds means demand has been great. That demand might be flattening out?

We have to stop thinking short time and start being serious about alternative energy.

There are currently several major headwinds in the present for the ski business as well as many of the businesses nationwide. If things do not break as far as the price of oil soon there is alot of discussion out there as to whether that will hurt or help the ski resorts in New England.

wa-loaf

I'm getting older @ 35 but g.f. is 25 so we have +- 15 years to change our minds. I don't think it will ever happen though.

:lol: If you are still together in 10 years she will.

I want the price of gas to go where it is going and settle down. Whether it is $4 or $7 or more. But the constant and rapid rise is the problem, once it hits it's equilibrium everything else will catch-up sooner or later. Some stability is key.

are you kidding me:smash:

I have 18 years of experience form the other side as being a child. I'm conciously trying to do the opposite of what my parents did. They both worked their ass off and could have been less owned by their jobs. They were spenders.

I have 28 years experience being a child..:smash:My parents still spend major dinero on me and my sister..taking us out to dinner..family trips...and my Mom even buys me clothes sometimes..lol..but my parents are rich so they can afford it..

mlctvt

What has increased over the years is the tax burden and the expenses that didn't even exist back then ..

Almost everyone now has cell phones $40-100/month, Cable or Sat TV $50-100/month, high speed Internet $25-50 /month, computers and other stuff "that we just can't live without" even though we did just fine without them 20-30 years ago.
Even things like curbside garbage pickup $35-40/ month; When I was a kid everyone in the neighborhood either burned their trash or took it to the dump on Saturday morning.
I think I'm the only one in my neighborhood who still mows their own lawn.

I agree with mlctvt..people have so much more now..cell phones, cable/satallite TV..internet..3 car garages..even us die-hard skiers mostly have a quiver when back in the day..one pair of skis was fine..Americans are super-consumers..imagine if we all cut our budgets by 10 percent and socked that money away for the future..lol..that would be very un American like, My Dad was saying the other day that him and most of his friends are going to need at least a few million to retire..and in a few decades..a few million will be nothing..