• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Guerilla" Ski Instruction

Kingslug20

Just seems strange that you cant go to a mountain..with whover and coach them during the day. I did this in park city a whole week. I didnt get paid for it as he was just with our group. I pretty much kept him alive on terrain over his head.
How would anyone know you were doing this. Unless you were doing drills right under the lift.

ThatGuy

Just seems strange that you cant go to a mountain..with whover and coach them during the day. I did this in park city a whole week. I didnt get paid for it as he was just with our group. I pretty much kept him alive on terrain over his head.
How would anyone know you were doing this. Unless you were doing drills right under the lift.
Thats the whole anchor of this argument. If its fine to do it for free how can you ever tell if someone is being paid or just helping out someone learn.

Andrew B.

Why can’t I buy a ticket to a movie and bring in popcorn to sell to the other patrons?

drjeff

I honestly can't believe this thread has made it to page 4... Or that this is a really a huge problem anywhere.

Just a microcosm of what is going on in the ski industry the last few years. Staffing, for many is an issue. More people with passes, especially those who likely never had a pass before and may very well be of lower ability. Those folks are skiing/riding more, and want to either improve their skills OR more likley get their kids some lessons. And if those folks took the full plunge and moved themselves/family to a mountain location as a result of the pandemic, some demand for a seasonal program, especially for their kids, may now be there. The general lack of understanding of the ski industry by some of these people, especially when you factor in the "there;s an app for that"/"Air Bnb/VRBO/Uber/Lyft" third party contracting movement that has spread like wildfire the last 5+ years or so, and you get what we are seeing more an more now.

Who knows how it all works out in the coming years.

As much as some people like to rag on the PSIA crowd, especially when you get past the level 1 stage, the amount of time, effort, and dedication it takes to achieve level 2 and level 3 is impressive (I'll throw in the same for USSSA race coach status as well), even if not everyone has the mindset to either teach/coach in the first place or follow through with the years it takes to reach the higher levels

Kingslug20

Im contemplating it. You get free passes for yourself and wife...best part is the clinics with other instructors..you become better.
Not sure if i have the right stuff for it though.

drjeff

That would be the best part. Socially, I don’t ski with people better than me so I rarely get pushed or instructed.

I have a bunch of friends who are level 2 and level 3 instructors and race coaches who I often hang out with socially, as well as take some runs with when they're on the hill but not on the clock. If you're into the technical side of skiing, when they start talking shop, it can be really interesting, especially when some of the often small movements/changes they get talking about transfer into improvements in my own skiing on the hill. If one isn't into the technical side of things, well then some of the conversations certainly have the ability to seem way over the top. Honestly plenty of one's feelings on this topic are very likely to do with how open they may very well be to learning some more about their own skiing verses just getting out on the hill and skiing

Kingslug20

When lessons where cheap i would always take one at JH or Snowbird...now forget it.
As far as teaching...teaching kids would be my fear. And that seems to be the majority of it.

cdskier

If the movie theater was charging $100 for popcorn people might start trying.
Plus some people DO bring their own snacks in, which you could potentially equate with someone bringing their own instructor along with them to a ski resort.

Andrew B.

Plus some people DO bring their own snacks in, which you could potentially equate with someone bringing their own instructor along with them to a ski resort.
bringing your own snack (although against most theatres rule) is one thing, selling them to other patrons would be more offensive to the business owner.

cdskier

bringing your own snack (although against most theatres rule) is one thing, selling them to other patrons would be more offensive to the business owner.
True...but no one is asking for private instructors to actively "sell" their services AT the resorts. So your original comment is not an apples to apples comparison. What people are asking for is more like a street vendor selling food outside a theater that people then sneak into the theater.

djd66

If you are soliciting business at a ski resort - that in my opinion is stealing from the resort. If you are off the resort property and offer to teach someone to ski, that transaction took place off of the resort and in my opinion - is not stealing.