• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock Management team resigns

djd66

There are some things that can be done at the state and local level through zoning and other laws. For instance, no more building million dollar homes on the lower slopes of ski areas that benefit only a few very wealthy people. All the million dollar homes at South Peak at Loon have signs at the end of the driveways with owner's name and hometown-almost all of them list their primary home in MA. Same thing for Okemo-Mount Snow-Stratton. These large scale million dollar home projects at ski areas are destroying the natural environment of the mountains, the lower slopes and watershed with their runoff. Their sewage ends up in our rivers and pollute them. Any new housing projects should be away from ski slopes and include affordable housing for people that live and work in NH-VT-ME. I'm usually against new taxes, however, I wouldn't care a bit if the wealthy people that own ski-in/ski-out homes were taxed 10x more than they are now to help fund infrastructure and housing projects that benefit locals. The sale of these homes should also include large payments (at least 2%) to a land bank, similar to what they have on Nantucket, they have raised tens of millions of dollars being used to buy land, preserve it, and towards affordable housing. The same goes for our lakes in NH. The state and local governments have totally ruined our lakes allowing million dollar homes on our lake shores. Lake Winnipesauke will be a dead lake in 50 years. Unlike Lake Chocorua and Dublin Lake, which have pristine shores that have been preserved.
This is comical coming from the Live Free or Die person that you seem to be. I can pretty much guarantee you - 90% (maybe 99.99%) of the old time NH locals would completely disagree with all of this BS.

Smellytele

100% agree with this. Grandparents had a place on Winnipesaukee from 1970-2013, still have family living in Wolfeboro who are out on the lake all Summer. Back in the 70's/80's lake clarity and just general grime (typically oil based that built up on your boat/mooring lines/dock/etc that were in the Lake for long periods of time) was subtsantial the the clarity of the water made it tough to see the bottom at the end of my grandparents dock which dependng on the water levels was anywhere between 8 and 9 feet on average. Through the late 80's and beyond, when serious attention to cleaning up the lake began in ernest, you could see the amount of grime as well as oil based residue dramatically decrease and the clarity of the lake increase. Haven't been in the water out infront of where my grandparents place ind Delings Cove just off of South Wolfeboro Bay was located in about a decade, but the clarity had improved to to the point where seeing 15+ feet down was easy, and my Uncle and Cousin's who are regular out on the Lake all Summer long tell me that the trend as continued, and when I walked out on the town docks in Wolfeboro last Summer I wouldn't doubt that at all. Additionally with the tght regulations for Septic Systems for lake side homes as well a cogniscent effort to not use various fertilizers on the lawns and gardens of many lake side residences now very typical, the community as a whole is behind doing it's part to keep that incredible lake thiving, even inspite of the amount of urine that goes into the lake most every Summer Weekend in places like Brain Bay and the West Alton Sandbar or anywhere near where the Dive Party bar is anchored for that day! :ROFLMAO:
So Dr J is old money

Bratwurst

This is comical coming from the Live Free or Die person that you seem to be. I can pretty much guarantee you - 90% (maybe 99.99%) of the old time NH locals would completely disagree with all of this BS.
My experience from the conversations I have with Granite Staters on chairlifts, in bars and in conversations with realtors and bankers and with working class people (which I am) is the affordable housing stock in NH is zero and this is going back before covid and the doubling and tripling of house prices. What's happening everywhere is developers only build the most profitable real estate.

Teachers, retirees and firefighters are having a tough time finding affordable housing in the places where they work and live. My knowledge is limited I'll admit but a lot of people have given up looking for housing and are sleeping on their friend's couch or moving back in with their parents. Are you saying 99.99% of NH residents are against affordable housing for locals?

Granite1

Winnipesaukee is an incredibly clean lake. Cleaner now than in the past in fact. Are you just making up BS Granite?
I don't swim (long distance swimmer) in it anymore, too many algae blooms, duck feces, run-off and sewage. Same with Lake Champlain-even dirtier.
All of my family, friends and many other people I know agree with me. We are sick of NH being overrun by people from out of state. Another good example, are the hiking trails, tent sites, campgrounds and mountain summits that are overcrowded with people that leave their trash and graffiti all over.

Newpylong

If it wasn't for the out of staters unfortunately our taxes would go up. NH is highly dependent on tourism. We simply do not have the tax mechanisms in place to adequately fund operations. I am not talking pie in the sky stuff. I mean roads, paying teachers, cops, etc.

I do agree it gets obnoxious to not be able to visit places at times because of all the out of staters. Ever go into Franconia notch and try to find parking to hike on the weekends? Forget about it. Storyland or Santa's Village? 9/10 cars from MA. But, see my point above I guess. Necessary evil probably.

Granite1

If it wasn't for the out of staters unfortunately our taxes would go up. NH is highly dependent on tourism. We simply do not have the tax mechanisms in place to adequately fund operations. I am not talking pie in the sky stuff. I mean roads, paying teachers, cops, etc.

I do agree it gets obnoxious to not be able to visit places at times because of all the out of staters. Ever go into Franconia notch and try to find parking to hike on the weekends? Forget about it. Storyland or Santa's Village? 9/10 cars from MA. But, see my point above I guess. Necessary evil probably
Can't get a campsite at most of the campgrounds in the summer and fall on weekends either. They need to reserve more campsites for NH residents only. Ever been to Pinkham Notch on a weekend in the fall-just as bad.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't swim (long distance swimmer) in it anymore, too many algae blooms, duck feces, run-off and sewage. Same with Lake Champlain-even dirtier.

All of my family, friends and many other people I know agree with me. We are sick of NH being overrun by people from out of state. Another good example, are the hiking trails, tent sites, campgrounds and mountain summits that are overcrowded with people that leave their trash and graffiti all over.

BooHoo! TFB. It's a free country

machski

My experience from the conversations I have with Granite Staters on chairlifts, in bars and in conversations with realtors and bankers and with working class people (which I am) is the affordable housing stock in NH is zero and this is going back before covid and the doubling and tripling of house prices. What's happening everywhere is developers only build the most profitable real estate.

Teachers, retirees and firefighters are having a tough time finding affordable housing in the places where they work and live. My knowledge is limited I'll admit but a lot of people have given up looking for housing and are sleeping on their friend's couch or moving back in with their parents. Are you saying 99.99% of NH residents are against affordable housing for locals?
It's not just a developer issue. A new development is going into our town on an old horse farm. Townhouse styled development that is ear marked to be affordable and IMHO from the artistic renderings, the building design and colors honor the horse farm that once was there. Not in the neighbors opinion, they are vocal and disgusted this is going into their "open, pristine neighborhood.". NIMBYism is also at play with the lack of new, affordable development in NH IMHO.

djd66

Are you saying 99.99% of NH residents are against affordable housing for locals?
Nope, I’m saying 99.99% of old NH Yankees would completely disagree with all the BS posted by Ganite1

Last edited:

Bratwurst

It's not just a developer issue. A new development is going into our town on an old horse farm. Townhouse styled development that is ear marked to be affordable and IMHO from the artistic renderings, the building design and colors honor the horse farm that once was there. Not in the neighbors opinion, they are vocal and disgusted this is going into their "open, pristine neighborhood.". NIMBYism is also at play with the lack of new, affordable development in NH IMHO.
Developers, understandably are motivated by profit so will build those projects which deliver the highest return on their investment. State and local governments have to be almost activists in delivering affordable housing. They can offer tax breaks or maybe lure developers to build in less trendy locations. But am I wrong in assuming in a state like NH, locally elected officials are less likely to stick their necks out to offer more affordable housing because they don't want to be labeled "big guvmint" and voted out of office? And of course, NIMBY is alive and well as it is everywhere.

machski

Developers, understandably are motivated by profit so will build those projects which deliver the highest return on their investment. State and local governments have to be almost activists in delivering affordable housing. They can offer tax breaks or maybe lure developers to build in less trendy locations. But am I wrong in assuming in a state like NH, locally elected officials are less likely to stick their necks out to offer more affordable housing because they don't want to be labeled "big guvmint" and voted out of office? And of course, NIMBY is alive and well as it is everywhere.
There is some of that in state, but my understanding is affordable developments are a problem country wide, not just in NH. Affordable resale current stock has been low but that is likely to improve a bit moving forward. I know our realtor told us 10 months ago had we wanted to sell, she could have got us $800K easily (we bought it in 2017 for $442K). Now, she could get us more than we bought for in '17 but no where near the peak. Maybe mid $600K's. So market is cooling, high interest rates no doubt playing a roll there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree, that's why I have advocated for local and state controls. Like they did at Gunstock, as I said.

Fun fact, it was Free Staters who caused the problems at Gunstock. Out of state political activists recruiting local Gunstock board members to their cause.

Granite1

Fun fact, it was Free Staters who caused the problems at Gunstock. Out of state political activists recruiting local Gunstock board members to their cause.
And other locals fought back and did what was right. Gunstock is a well run and managed ski area-although I don't ski there when I can be at Loon or Cannon in just about the same amount of drive time.

FBGM

They have been looking for a new Mt Ops director now for a few months. Finally posted the job. Could imagine it’s hard to fill with anyone keeping eye on what happened last year.