• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help with Full Tilt boots - how to stop the leaks?

Bumpsis

Any Full Tilt boot users here? I need some advice. This is my first full season in them and I like them a lot - good, tight fit which gives me lots of control, the flex is where I like it to be, they are comfortable and light and warm, for the most part, but these suckers LEAK big time. My feet are wet after just 3 hours. The liner and wool socks keep me warm but I really would like to stop the snow melt from getting in.

I plugged the obvious holes - the boot has a few. The screw on the lowest buckle lets snow melt in (round black in the picture), as well as the second buckle anchor. I plugged that with silicone caulk. Still, the snow melt is getting in. What other things I should do?
Any advice?

full-tilt-drop-kick-ski-boots-2015-green-side.jpg

mbedle

How wet are we talking about? Are you sure it is snow melt and not sweat? Are your feet getting wet when you are out skiing or when you come in and the snow on the boots melts?

SIKSKIER

Just looking at that boot I would think the place that looks really suspect is the black front closure.That pic sure looks like a lot of space and potential for a lot of snow intrusion.

Bumpsis

How wet are we talking about? Are you sure it is snow melt and not sweat? Are your feet getting wet when you are out skiing or when you come in and the snow on the boots melts?

Good thought, but no, I know that snow/snow melt gets into the boots without me going in. I usually ski for at least two hours straight without going in. My left boot will have more water in it and it's a safe assumption that both of my feet put out the same amount of sweat. Plus, after I take the liners out, I can shake out about 2-3cc of water out of the boot. I know that's not sweat.
I may add some weatherstripping foam underneath the black central part of the boot to see if that makes a difference. I had similar experience with my old Richle Flexons.

mbedle

Good thought, but no, I know that snow/snow melt gets into the boots without me going in. I usually ski for at least two hours straight without going in. My left boot will have more water in it and it's a safe assumption that both of my feet put out the same amount of sweat. Plus, after I take the liners out, I can shake out about 2-3cc of water out of the boot. I know that's not sweat.
I may add some weatherstripping foam underneath the black central part of the boot to see if that makes a difference. I had similar experience with my old Richle Flexons.

Just read online and it seems to be an issue with the front buckle. Seems a lot of people are putting duck tap on the inside to cover any holes near the buckle connections.

I have been skiing with Full Tilt Classics for three seasons. To be be fair, they don't get as much use as yours might, since I tele most of the time. I did notice right away that that the boots seemed much damper after a day of skiing than any other boot I have had, but like you, always have warm feet. I religiously pull the liners out and dry them after every ski day, which I have never done with any other boot. Personally, I am not convinced that they leak, but rather that they don't breath very well. That wraparound Intuition liner is like wearing a wetsuit bootie.

Bumpsis

I have been skiing with Full Tilt Classics for three seasons. To be be fair, they don't get as much use as yours might, since I tele most of the time. I did notice right away that that the boots seemed much damper after a day of skiing than any other boot I have had, but like you, always have warm feet. I religiously pull the liners out and dry them after every ski day, which I have never done with any other boot. Personally, I am not convinced that they leak, but rather that they don't breath very well. That wraparound Intuition liner is like wearing a wetsuit bootie.

Very good observation about the liner acting like a wetsuit bootie. I am quite sure that the liner does retain the foot perspiration more than other boots and that contributes to the feeling of having wet feet. I think I finally locked out all possible places on the boot where snow melt can trickle in and had a very robust ski day. Result: I no longer had a super wet liner and "pourable" water inside the shell as before, just wet socks. I think I can live with that. Thank you everyone for input.