• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How are conditions out West?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I’m not talking about a place to boot up,… I’m talking about a place to eat some lunch. Been here for the week and it was literally impossible to find a table to eat lunch. I’m Ikon, so that is the only money I’m spending here Is for food. If Big Sky wants to make money, I need a table to sit down so I can eat my $20.00 burger. I skied at many mtns out west and in Europe, this place is the worst as far as lodges for eating options.
I agree with that. We waited 10 minutes today for a table at Madison Base Area (which is usually dead). We had luck the other night doing apres in the Vista Lodge (upstairs). There are lots of tables up there. We had a good supper last night at Montana Jack. Busy, but we got a table in 15 minutes.

crank

Last time I was at Big Sky we would eat at a tent like structure near the bottom of Moonlight Basin that was pretty good and also burgers at a yurt over in Shedhorn, I think it was. Base lodge is sucky for food. There was an out of business restaurant top of Rams Head (did it ever reopen?) and some sort of burrito stand or something top of Swift Current lift. We also used to eat at the Moonlight Basin Lodge which had a decent and reasonable sit down restaurant and a deli with tables. But then they closed that to the public.

Yeah they could use more and better food options. Telluride is my favorite for that.

Best thing was loading up on food at the Huntleys amazing breakfast buffet. Barely needed lunch after that!

Last edited:

machski

Last time I was at Big Sky we would eat at a tent like structure near the bottom of Moonlight Basin that was pretty good and also burgers at a yurt over in Shedhorn, I think it was. Base lodge is sucky for food. There was an out of business restaurant top of Rams Head (did it ever reopen?) and some sort of burrito stand or something top of Swift Current lift. We also used to eat at the Moonlight Basin CLub which had a decent and reasonable sit down restaurant and a deli with tables. But then they closed that to the public.

Yeah they could use more and better food options. Telluride is my favorite for that.

Best thing was loading up on food at the Huntleys amazing breakfast buffet. Barely needed lunch after that!
Top of Ramcharger is Everett's, I believe that is open (and high $$ too). Big Sky has supposedly expanded the base mall quite a bit and reimagined the cafe dining experience since we were last out. But without the Moonlight Lodge by Iron Horse open to the public, that is the one thing Big Sky majorly lacks at the moment. On mountain dining options for such a huge area.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Top of Ramcharger is Everett's, I believe that is open (and high $$ too). Big Sky has supposedly expanded the base mall quite a bit and reimagined the cafe dining experience since we were last out. But without the Moonlight Lodge by Iron Horse open to the public, that is the one thing Big Sky majorly lacks at the moment. On mountain dining options for such a huge area.
The Vista Hall is nice. But oddly enough most of the venues close at 4pm if not 6pm, so people staying up here (like us) have limited options for dinner. We were going to try Scissorbills, but it was packed.

Boyne's focus seems to be lifts, or in this case, lift$. As a skier that makes me happy. We brought a lot of groceries with us to save money and not have to eat out. But as you all have said it seems odd to not have more dining options (the Italian joint in the base is closed up).

Those bubble chairs saved us this very cold week.

Abominable

A bit off topic buy awhile back (years?) we had a great thread about lesser known places out west (Silverton, Schweitzer, a bunch of places I'd never heard of or heard much of). I can't seem to locate that thread. If anyone else remembers it or what it was called.... little help!

thetrailboss

Staff member
A bit off topic buy awhile back (years?) we had a great thread about lesser known places out west (Silverton, Schweitzer, a bunch of places I'd never heard of or heard much of). I can't seem to locate that thread. If anyone else remembers it or what it was called.... little help!
That is a good idea. There are a lot of gems out here.

jaytrem

Lots of stuff in Krusty's trip planning thread...

Might not be it though.

snoseek

I'm skiing powderhorn on Sunday I'll try to take a pic or two. May also get to sunlight as well

djd66

The Vista Hall is nice. But oddly enough most of the venues close at 4pm if not 6pm, so people staying up here (like us) have limited options for dinner. We were going to try Scissorbills, but it was packed.

Boyne's focus seems to be lifts, or in this case, lift$. As a skier that makes me happy. We brought a lot of groceries with us to save money and not have to eat out. But as you all have said it seems odd to not have more dining options (the Italian joint in the base is closed up).

Those bubble chairs saved us this very cold week.
The bubble chairs with heated seats are awesome! Skiing was awesome, (although I will need a new pair of skis after the cheese grater rocks) food options for lunch completely suck. I don’t need much, just a table to sit down - this place is really lacking in that department and lost a lot of my money due to lack of seating. Gate House lodge has more seating than the base lodge at big sky,…. And this is the biggest mountain in America?

thetrailboss

Staff member
The bubble chairs with heated seats are awesome! Skiing was awesome, (although I will need a new pair of skis after the cheese grater rocks) food options for lunch completely suck. I don’t need much, just a table to sit down - this place is really lacking in that department and lost a lot of my money due to lack of seating. Gate House lodge has more seating than the base lodge at big sky,…. And this is the biggest mountain in America?
We went to Westward Social for apres. The waitress was desperate to sell us on a full meal when we wanted nachos and beer. I sensed that her tips were low due to it being apres with small checks. When we got the check the “apres special prices” were not charged—instead it was full price. When we pointed it out she feigned some reason about a new menu or something. We did leave her a big tip because nobody was eating big meals and running up big tabs (and we felt bad) but still…

skiur

We went to Westward Social for apres. The waitress was desperate to sell us on a full meal when we wanted nachos and beer. I sensed that her tips were low due to it being apres with small checks. When we got the check the “apres special prices” were not charged—instead it was full price. When we pointed it out she feigned some reason about a new menu or something. We did leave her a big tip because nobody was eating big meals and running up big tabs (and we felt bad) but still…
She tried to rip you off by charging you full price and coming up with a BS reason for it. I would have given her no tip. I tip quite well for good service even if the food sucks (that's not the servers fault) but give me bad service or try to get over on me and you won't get shit.

Tonyr

We ate there twice last year. I thought the food was pretty good, it was packed both times we went. Westward Social is a newer restaurant within the village area that Big Sky is trying to build up and thought they did a nice job with the place. On mountain resturants anywhere definitely hope you order a full meal or atleast lots of drinks to run up the tab, they only have a small window to make money during the lunch rush. (I guess they have the apres window too) With that being said she shouldn't be trying to rip people off, that's not right.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

15 mg and a protein bar can usually get me through the day. A big lunch makes me want a nap.

But…..it’s vacation, I get that. Someone mentioned telluride for on mountain food and they ain’t lying, it’s damn good but expensive but of course it is, it’s telluride.

thetrailboss

Staff member
She tried to rip you off by charging you full price and coming up with a BS reason for it. I would have given her no tip. I tip quite well for good service even if the food sucks (that's not the servers fault) but give me bad service or try to get over on me and you won't get shit.
That was my thought. My wife felt otherwise.

snoseek

Chalky packed powder bumps in Colorado with maybe a refresh closer to the weekend. The skiing is fine and the weather is even better.

Attachments

• 20220228_133223.jpg
    20220228_133223.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sunny and warm this week here in Utah. Something in terms of snow maybe late this week or weekend.