• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you ski so much?

Hawkshot99

Seeing some of the skier day #'s on here amazes me on the number of times people get out.

For you big number skiers, how do you get to go so often? Do you ski long hours, or just a few hours at a time?

I work 50ft. from the lifts so I can get out alot when businesses is slow. When I go out is usually for around a hour, unless it is my day off and I go skiing some place else for the day.

icedtea

I have 42 days in this year up in VT. I have school 3 days a week and only work 1 day a week this semester.

So with with weekends and breaks I should end up with around 50. At some point I am hoping to get a job closer to the mountains.

Next year will be interesting when I am working full time to see how many days I get in. . .I figure about the same, since I will not have to miss weekends to get work done for school as the semester winds down.

bvibert

Staff member
I don't think that I get out a lot, but more than some people. Most of my ski days are 3-6 hour night sessions at Sundown, which is only 25 minutes from my house. There's even a few that were 2 hours or less. I just get out when I can. I was just thinking about it last night and I think only 3 of my days were outside of Sundown; Killington, Sugarbush, and Magic. I'm perfectly ok with that, Sundown was awesome this year! :cool:

Vortex

I should make 80 days. Not like the guys who can get over 100 and are in the groove.

I take 3 weeks vacation off to ski in the winter, those are mostly full days, plus all the holidaze.

Probably 4 nights are in that total.. A few runs only then. Most days are around 4 to 6 hours of skiing not including breaks. I leave mid day on Sunday to get the family home to do stuff.

hammer

I should make 80 days. Not like the guys who can get over 100 and are in the groove.

I take 3 weeks vacation off to ski in the winter, those are mostly full days, plus all the holidaze.

Probably 4 nights are in that total.. A few runs only then. Most days are around 4 to 6 hours of skiing not including breaks. I leave mid day on Sunday to get the family home to do stuff.
Your ability to pack so many days in still amazes me...is your family as committed to skiing as you are?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Your ability to pack so many days in still amazes me...is your family as committed to skiing as you are?

This where I run into a snag. I got in just over 20 days this year, and my wife is about burnt out. I think she would prefer around 10, maybe going once every other weekend, but I want to try and raise it up to 40 next year. Luckily, my younger brother just graduated from college, so he'll have a lot more free time to be my ski buddy.

I tried going alone a few times this year, and it's just not the same.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Would be nice to ski more than I do. I wish I had a place like Sundown 45 minutes or less from my house so I could do the night thing or quick afternoon session on the weekends, but then again I love where I live and have no desire to move to have that as a possibility.

So, for now I'm pretty much a 1 day a week guy, which will hopefully improve some with added vacation time if I continue with my same job/company.

Would love to find myself in a position financially and time wise some day to have a modest home in the mountains to ski both days every weekend and spend vacations up there. Definitely envious of fellows like Bob R that accomplished this, though from the sounds of it Bob has and continues to work his ass off for it.

Yo Bob, you're company hiring? :lol:

Vortex

My son is almost as in to it as me. My wife likes it, but thinks I'm nuts, my daughter would prefer I had a summer addiction. She does enjoy asking for money and going to lunch.:spin:

My wife and daughter usually miss a weekend a month. Many late night rides on Friday so we can make kids events, this weekend its the globetrotters, and we leave early on Sunday so the kids can see friends at home. The rest of the year I'm the follower.

Vortex

Would be nice to ski more than I do. I wish I had a place like Sundown 45 minutes or less from my house so I could do the night thing or quick afternoon session on the weekends, but then again I love where I live and have no desire to move to have that as a possibility.

So, for now I'm pretty much a 1 day a week guy, which will hopefully improve some with added vacation time if I continue with my same job/company.

Would love to find myself in a position financially and time wise some day to have a modest home in the mountains to ski both days every weekend and spend vacations up there. Definitely envious of fellows like Bob R that accomplished this, though from the sounds of it Bob has and continues to work his ass off for it.

Yo Bob, you're company hiring? :lol:

Ha no, My wife has a good job also. We chose to both work full time from day one.. That helps.

Greg

Staff member
I'm pretty fortunate to get out as much as I do with two small children at home. I have to thank my wife for that. She's very patient with the ski habit and I try to do a lot to help out around the house and with the kids to balance it out. I would never ski as much as I do without Sundown. Very lucky to live so close.

4aprice

This where I run into a snag. I got in just over 20 days this year, and my wife is about burnt out. I think she would prefer around 10, maybe going once every other weekend, but I want to try and raise it up to 40 next year. Luckily, my younger brother just graduated from college, so he'll have a lot more free time to be my ski buddy.

I tried going alone a few times this year, and it's just not the same.

St Bear:

Get a pass at a local area. I live about 10-20 minutes from you depending on where you are in Parsippany. In my case Camelback is 45-50 minutes from my house. Yes I currently spend weekends there because of the race team (son) and my daughters employment, but I also find it very easy to go up there and get some weekdays or nights even if its for only a couple of hours. I-80 makes travel very easy and in 1/2 a days time I can get a mighty good workout and be back in North Jersey. Camelback on a weekday morning is like a club. I like you love to travel to northern New England and out west. I will tell you this that those workouts at Camelback make the trips more enjoyable. It's tough when your significant other starts to tire. My wife is ready for the warm weather too but still give me (and my son) the freedom to ski.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dmc

Running out for an hour of riding at lunch adds up...

I think I'm going to have around only 40 days this year... Just a guess... I was a little lame on my choice of days.... If it was remotely sucky - i stayed inside... yeah I know... I'm lame... :)

ESki is way over 100 now... He has to take a few days off but he's at it again...

WWF-VT

I am at 36 days so this season. I am fortunate that my wife and kids share my enthusiasm for skiing/riding. We go to VT almost every weekend from Dec to April as well as the Xmas and February school breaks. The entire family participates in weekend seasonal programs at Sugarbush and we get out regardless of the conditions.

Warp Daddy

I envy those who have a hill within a half an hours drive > That's key to a high day count .

For me an average ski day is 3.5 -4 hrs in the car round trip and 5-6 hrs of hill time plus a few overnite road trips .

So until i pull the plug on our home here on the St Lawrence WHICH WE BOTH LOVE and move to a ski hill region it ain't gonna happen ! Probability of this happening = marginal since there are simply too many other pluses to living where we are now..

Thus 20 -25 days a year is it . I ski with 5-6 others about half the time,ith my wife about 5-6 times, the rest i ski alone and ITS ALL GOOD .

dbking

I don't know how people who don't ski alot make it thru the day. If I take a couple days off, I feel out of it for a couple runs. And I don't fall ( much ). How do people pick themselves up all day long then go after it again the next day?
I'm over 60 days this season. Unemployment is good that way. I always thought that it takes 20 days before you get into mid-season shape, so that you are on your game. Then, when you get over 80 days, you regress and start breaking down. As I get older ( 50 ) I am leaning towards 65 -70 days breaks you down.
Back in maybe 1988, Sugarbush tried to compete with K to see who had the early/late skiing. I patrolled that season and counted 148 days of skiing. That's alot of icy bumps to the knees. It was too much. I wonder how GSS is feeling with his ski totals this year. How many days does it take before you start getting weaker?

Puck it

I am getting so many in this year due to the sucky economy. We have 3 weeks of shutdown per quarter through the end of the year. Next year , will be a problem with no vacation time left.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
St Bear:

Get a pass at a local area. I live about 10-20 minutes from you depending on where you are in Parsippany. In my case Camelback is 45-50 minutes from my house. Yes I currently spend weekends there because of the race team (son) and my daughters employment, but I also find it very easy to go up there and get some weekdays or nights even if its for only a couple of hours. I-80 makes travel very easy and in 1/2 a days time I can get a mighty good workout and be back in North Jersey. Camelback on a weekday morning is like a club. I like you love to travel to northern New England and out west. I will tell you this that those workouts at Camelback make the trips more enjoyable. It's tough when your significant other starts to tire. My wife is ready for the warm weather too but still give me (and my son) the freedom to ski.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Part of the 'Noreaster pass is unlimited skiing at Jack Frost/Big Boulder in the Poconos, which is only another 10-15 minutes from Camelback, and will serve as my "home mountain". My logic is that I'll easily make up the difference in price with a few day trips to Mount Snow and most of my long holiday weekends in NH.

4aprice

Part of the 'Noreaster pass is unlimited skiing at Jack Frost/Big Boulder in the Poconos, which is only another 10-15 minutes from Camelback, and will serve as my "home mountain". My logic is that I'll easily make up the difference in price with a few day trips to Mount Snow and most of my long holiday weekends in NH.

I love mountain cooperation and multi mountain passes but Jack Frost could not keep me entertained for the season. That pass is pretty expensive and I think you ought to ski Jack Frost on multiple days before buying. (there is no night skiing at Jack Frost). To me the mountain is just too small and its more like 20-25 minutes further by the time you make it through Blakeslee and the access road to the area. Too bad Peak didn't buy Camelback, I know they looked at it. I'd be glad to show you around Camelback if you want to come up sometime. Was there yesterday and the base is still holding up. They plan on going till April 4th and I still think they'll make it. I'm heading to NH tonight for my first 3 days outside of PA this year. Normally I ski plenty elsewhere but this year it wasn't in the cards. Will be back at CBK next weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

mondeo

Usually a couple hours a day after work. Killington on the weekends tends to be in the 4-6 hour range per day.

No family is key here.