• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

i got bored and booked a 2 week ski trip

KustyTheKlown

i started hitting the gym almost every day after the season ended in may. i just finished an 85 day program and restarted it and am on day 5 now. its super out of character for me to exercise in a gym on any sort of regimented schedule. my weight has stayed steady at 200 but i basically moved my gut to my arm chest and legs as muscle. also running 2-5 miles in there almost every day. its pretty dope and i am excited to see how it effects my skiing. i think mainly i wont be sore as shit the first 5 days out. this wasn't thread worthy so i decided to stick it in my own thread about my big trip.

BenedictGomez

It's the tree skiing that kills me now. I can ski groomers all day & throw in a mogul trail every 3 runs on the day & I'm completely fine. But if I start skiing trees at 9:30, my legs start to feel it by 1:30 for sure. This probably means I need to work out in the offseason on some particular leg exercise(s); alternatively, maybe I'm just getting old. I could ski trees all day without ill-effect about 10 years ago.

KustyTheKlown

when the woods are skiing well i ski woods over and over with no real breaks all day, but 'all day' for me is first chair to 2:30 pm. i don't go 8-4. my weird little compulsions don't really let me stop skiing until i have tracked at least 20k vertical. i never stop for lunch and i feast at like 3 pm most days.

jaytrem

I'm 51, my last day of the year at Killington was the first time I had trouble keeping up with my kids (10 year old twin girls). I did tweak my knee a bit earlier in the day Probably because I had to ski super shaped skis after snapping a mogul ski, they're not great for the zipper line on the bottom left. But I'm not sure that made much of a difference. They were going top to bottom for the last few runs trying to time the last chair. I did manage to catch the very last chair with them, so I guess I'm still doing okay. Will no doubt be harder and harder to keep up as the years go by.

2Planker

I'm 51, my last day of the year at Killington was the first time I had trouble keeping up with my kids (10 year old twin girls). I did tweak my knee a bit earlier in the day Probably because I had to ski super shaped skis after snapping a mogul ski, they're not great for the zipper line on the bottom left. But I'm not sure that made much of a difference. They were going top to bottom for the last few runs trying to time the last chair. I did manage to catch the very last chair with them, so I guess I'm still doing okay. Will no doubt be harder and harder to keep up as the years go by.
I hear ya. We’ve skied w/ our neighbors daughters growing up. Now they both rip it up for UVM who was #2 in last years NCAA Championship to Utah
They grew up skiing ”NE Powder” at Cannon, & Wildcat since they were 4yo

KustyTheKlown

this is just the thread where i've decided i will put random ski-related thoughts which i don't consider to be new thread worthy...

my parents are selling the house our family has been in since 2001. yesterday i went to clean out the basement and my teenage bedroom. we found ancient bins of ski clothes which were basically a time capsule back to 1994. holy shit purple and teal sure were fashionable in the early 90s! i salvaged a pair of hot chili bottoms, a duofold top, and two neck warmer+over the head facemask things. most of the rest is going to goodwill.

i took my skis in for pre-season tune ups, and also moved bindings from a trashed pair to my new fischers. i also made an appointment with a certified pedorthist bootfitter for October 22 and i will probably end up buying whatever he says is right for me + custome soles etc. i have been in the same pair of boots since about 2015, and those were purchased online without trying on. they were heat molded and had the shell punched out in one spot, and they have after-market inner-soles but not custom. i bought new outer soles from technica last year since the toe and heel pieces were wearing down. the boot fits and i could keep skiing it, but i am intrigued by the possibility of 'custom' boots, and curious if they will make a significant difference in my skiing. the bootfitter is at the ski barn in wayne nj

cdskier

i took my skis in for pre-season tune ups, and also moved bindings from a trashed pair to my new fischers. i also made an appointment with a certified pedorthist bootfitter for October 22 and i will probably end up buying whatever he says is right for me + custome soles etc. i have been in the same pair of boots since about 2015, and those were purchased online without trying on. they were heat molded and had the shell punched out in one spot, and they have after-market inner-soles but not custom. i bought new outer soles from technica last year since the toe and heel pieces were wearing down. the boot fits and i could keep skiing it, but i am intrigued by the possibility of 'custom' boots, and curious if they will make a significant difference in my skiing. the bootfitter is at the ski barn in wayne nj

Is the name of the bootfitter you made an appointment with at ski barn Greg?

cdskier

yep. you know him? good experience? bad?
Yes...he's the former owner of a smaller ski shop that was a bit north of Ski Barn further up Rt 23 called Heinos. Honestly that was the only place in NJ I trusted to either buy stuff from or work on my skis. Greg in particular was always in high demand from many ski racers in the NJ (and even NYC) area. He definitely has a reputation as an excellent boot fitter. Only person in the NJ area I would ever actually recommend going to for boot fitting.

KustyTheKlown

Yes...he's the former owner of a smaller ski shop that was a bit north of Ski Barn further up Rt 23 called Heinos. Honestly that was the only place in NJ I trusted to either buy stuff from or work on my skis. Greg in particular was always in high demand from many ski racers in the NJ (and even NYC) area. He definitely has a reputation as an excellent boot fitter. Only person in the NJ area I would ever actually recommend going to for boot fitting.

sweet, thanks. yea i was very explicit with them that i wanted to work with a pedorthist, not a teenager selling boots off the wall. looking forward to it

crank

I had a 90's era teal anorak thing. I wore it to a retro day, that and jeans about a dozen years back. Also had my old yellow Lange TII boots that I bought in "89 and skied for about 24 years. When I finally went to a boot shop on Stowe access road they had a pair of my Lange's on display with other antique boots.

I tossed the boots and somehow lost the anorak having divorced, downsized and moved twice since then.

ironhippy

i started hitting the gym almost every day after the season ended in may. i just finished an 85 day program and restarted it and am on day 5 now. its super out of character for me to exercise in a gym on any sort of regimented schedule. my weight has stayed steady at 200 but i basically moved my gut to my arm chest and legs as muscle. also running 2-5 miles in there almost every day. its pretty dope and i am excited to see how it effects my skiing. i think mainly i wont be sore as shit the first 5 days out. this wasn't thread worthy so i decided to stick it in my own thread about my big trip.
I think you will be quite pleased at how being in shape will affect your skiing. Although, depending on how young you are you may not notice much of a difference after the first 5 days (as you mentioned). When you're in your 20's it's pretty easy to ski yourself into shape if you are consistent.

Getting into the habit of exercising now will greatly improve your ability to continue skiing (and doing other athletic endeavours) as you age.

KustyTheKlown

More miscellany in this thread from me.

I am in Portland Oregon. Look at these cool glasses which I did not buy bc I generally opt to not own more stuff. But I appreciate these as cool items:

Attachments

• 1A7B3C7A-9C28-46F9-A9FB-E5F7D5D26AC2.jpeg
    1A7B3C7A-9C28-46F9-A9FB-E5F7D5D26AC2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • AFCAEA32-925C-4BAD-815D-F5BE37EF66F5.jpeg
    AFCAEA32-925C-4BAD-815D-F5BE37EF66F5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 72852B2C-C8C8-4453-BAE2-E09CAD751111.jpeg
    72852B2C-C8C8-4453-BAE2-E09CAD751111.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 441DFF31-FAB7-4240-A56B-B0D978D801B4.jpeg
    441DFF31-FAB7-4240-A56B-B0D978D801B4.jpeg