• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ideal ski towns for the future factoring in all issues?

raisingarizona

Ahh, forest fires are only climate related. Not! Perhaps if we want to talk growth of a fire and length of season. But the amount of fires starting is also quite related to the massive growth in popularity if humans recreating in the wilds of the west. Most of the fires are human originated, not natural ignition sources. To pin western fire activity to just one factor is very popular but so non-scientific.

BTW, the big Caldor Tahoe fire? Yup, started by humans, I believe an arrest or 2 have been made in connection now.
A bunch of different factors or ingredients come together forming a hot, steaming pile of poop sandwich.

A changing climate is definitely a big ingredient though.

bigbob

To my knowledge maine taxes 401k disbursements as income. If you have spent your life working/saving and plan to be retired for any length of time, this works out to a tremendous amount of money.

Best I can determine NH resort towns are the best deal for retirement in the northeast. Hebron, bridgewater, bartlett, Moultonborough, hart's location come to mind.
There are plenty of towns in NH with tax rates that are lower than where I presently live along with lower property prices. Lincon NH also has a low tax rate. Colebrook has a higher rate than what I would be interested in. Columbia has a cheap rate. Most lake front towns have cheap rates and lower tax bills if you don't buy waterfront property.
The Rangley area of Maine might be worth looking at also being close to Sugarloaf and Saddleback, but you have to look at the whole burden.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Rangeley and Bridgton areas are the two in Maine I'm thinking about researching down the line. Having great boating nearby is equally as important to me as proximity to skiing. So if I discover those areas are more affordable than retiring near Winnipesaukee, I'd consider them. Lake Champlain and Lake George areas will also get a look.

PAabe

Long off reality currently but southern Adirondacks like Indian lake or Speculator would be nice - lakefront, near fantastic paddling, local hills literally right there, Gore down the road, Vermont options within 2hr. Closer to PA than Vermont and better summer activities imo. Good snowshoeing and touring opportunities as well.

I assume taxes aren't great in NY though

Are there ski club lodges in NY or is that mostly a vermont thing?

ThatGuy

Long off reality currently but southern Adirondacks like Indian lake or Speculator would be nice - lakefront, near fantastic paddling, local hills literally right there, Gore down the road, Vermont options within 2hr. Closer to PA than Vermont and better summer activities imo. Good snowshoeing and touring opportunities as well.

I assume taxes aren't great in NY though

Are there ski club lodges in NY or is that mostly a vermont thing?
Indian lake and Speculator don’t really have great lakes for what DHS wants imo. I love that area and fish SoADK all the time but its pretty remote and the lakes aren’t very deep or large. Also very far from anything non-nature related and I think he’d appreciate some culture/dining options. Washington, Warren or Essex county might be more his wheelhouse with Killi and Gore less than an hour away and easy access to either Lake George or Champlain.

AdironRider

I'd like to have a place to get away in Rangeley but living there full time in retirement would leave me with some healthcare availability concerns.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd like to have a place to get away in Rangeley but living there full time in retirement would leave me with some healthcare availability concerns.

You're basically stuck with either Rumford Hospital who will transfer you to Lewiston or Farmington who will transfer you to Portland.

Bridgton has more appeal to me even though the Shawnee Peak and Sunday River options don't excite me as much as Saddleback. The Long Lake and Sebago combo is far better than Rangeley lake for my tastes. Though those are still not as great as Winnipesaukee. 1 hour to Portland would be nice too.

2Planker

To my knowledge maine taxes 401k disbursements as income. If you have spent your life working/saving and plan to be retired for any length of time, this works out to a tremendous amount of money.

Best I can determine NH resort towns are the best deal for retirement in the northeast. Hebron, bridgewater, bartlett, Moultonborough, hart's location come to mind.
Exactly ! NH is way better than MA, ME and VT

JimG.

Staff member
Indian lake and Speculator don’t really have great lakes for what DHS wants imo. I love that area and fish SoADK all the time but its pretty remote and the lakes aren’t very deep or large. Also very far from anything non-nature related and I think he’d appreciate some culture/dining options. Washington, Warren or Essex county might be more his wheelhouse with Killi and Gore less than an hour away and easy access to either Lake George or Champlain.
We used to think we would get place in VT or NH. But as time has passed and the pandemic arose it became clear to us that staying in NY (despite the tax issues) is our best bet. So now we are looking in the Lake George and surrounding areas. As you mentioned only an hour or so to K and Gore and plenty of other options within 2 hours. We have no desire to live slope side or in a busy resort town.

VT went away because they tax social security which amazingly NY does not. Property taxes in NH are insane on a percentage basis, but that is balanced out by no taxes on retirement income. In the end, we decided there is no real good reason for us to leave NY.

raisingarizona

We used to think we would get place in VT or NH. But as time has passed and the pandemic arose it became clear to us that staying in NY (despite the tax issues) is our best bet. So now we are looking in the Lake George and surrounding areas. As you mentioned only an hour or so to K and Gore and plenty of other options within 2 hours. We have no desire to live slope side or in a busy resort town.

VT went away because they tax social security which amazingly NY does not. Property taxes in NH are insane on a percentage basis, but that is balanced out by no taxes on retirement income. In the end, we decided there is no real good reason for us to leave NY.
I’m a big fan of living in a ski resort-less mountain/lake town.

kbroderick

Rangeley and Bridgton areas are the two in Maine I'm thinking about researching down the line. Having great boating nearby is equally as important to me as proximity to skiing. So if I discover those areas are more affordable than retiring near Winnipesaukee, I'd consider them. Lake Champlain and Lake George areas will also get a look.

Not sure about Bridgton, but I was talking to a guy from Rangeley yesterday who said that the real-estate boom is hitting there, too. One of the local contracting companies that used to average one call a week asking about new construction is now averaging one a day and has workers commuting in from hours away (and is still turning away a lot of work).

JimG.

Staff member
I’m a big fan of living in a ski resort-less mountain/lake town.
I like driving a little to go skiing. Even though I've skied for over 55 years I still get excited about it every day I go. The drive to the slopes is a time to enjoy thinking about the adventure ahead. I think I would get complacent if I could just walk out the door to the slopes.

abc

I think I would get complacent if I could just walk out the door to the slopes.
You think?

I've only rather recently started booking lodging slope side. Boy, was that luxury! And to ski right back to the door at the end of the day.

Not that I care to actually LIVE slope side. But that's only because I much prefer a lively city life. As far as skiing goes, the closer the better for me.

kbroderick

I like driving a little to go skiing. Even though I've skied for over 55 years I still get excited about it every day I go. The drive to the slopes is a time to enjoy thinking about the adventure ahead. I think I would get complacent if I could just walk out the door to the slopes.
I wouldn't want to (and couldn't afford to) live on the hill at most larger resorts, but having some form of skiing I can access without involving a car is really nice. Where I'm at now is a short drive to lift-served (and work, where I coach), but I can also walk across the street, put on my three-pin fishscale setup (lightweight tele) setup, and get into a network of logging roads.

Geoff

I've only rather recently started booking lodging slope side. Boy, was that luxury! And to ski right back to the door at the end of the day.

Not that I care to actually LIVE slope side.
This sounds like the Fox and the Grapes Aesop fable. I’ll take Aspen, pleeeeze. LOL

If I can afford Aspen slopeside, I can afford the pied a terre in Manhattan or wherever.