• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ideal ski towns for the future factoring in all issues?

snoseek

I'm also looking more and more at Lake Tahoe in the near-distant future. I personally believe California it's self has become a bubble that is working on bursting its self. The mass exodus may take some time but it has certainly begun. For ha-ha's I looked/found a couple of studio apartments around Lake Tahoe for around $1,500 a month. Crazy expensive? Sure. Less than I was thinking they'd be...and just the fact they're available too. That does not exist in Jackson or Aspen or even Park City.
My plan out there before i ended up back here was to spend my summer seasons in Tahoe and Winters in Utah, Tahoe in the warm months is awesome but man there's some rough winters there.

snoseek

There's also some awesome skiing there too.
I mean sure I get it but if you have any desire for consistency then go elsewhere. One year they didn't clear 80 inches at heavenly and kirkwood barely made it into March. The skiing sucked and they don't have east coast snowmaking that covers a good percentage. Those years are also tough when you gotta pay the rent. When it's on it's magic

abc

but if you have any desire for consistency then go elsewhere
What makes Tahoe great is almost the inconsistency!

The mega dumps and insane steeps are hard to find elsewhere. I dig that.

Plus, when it's too warm or too dry, it's an easy commute down to the foothills at either CA/NV for some wicked mountain biking (which admittedly is my thing).

snoseek

What makes Tahoe great is almost the inconsistency!

The mega dumps and insane steeps are hard to find elsewhere. I dig that.

Plus, when it's too warm or too dry, it's an easy commute down to the foothills at either CA/NV for some wicked mountain biking (which admittedly is my thing).
Hey I agree. The mtb riding in reno Carson has come a long way and when it's on the skiing is great but factoring in the whole making a living thing...that makes it tough. Plus when the fires get going some summers that can really shut things down. I can't imagine owning a business there

deadheadskier

Staff member
The whole concept of seasonal wildfires is so wild to me. I mean sure, we have hurricane season and some periodic punishing floods here in New England that can kill ya, but the gates of hell it is not.

snoseek

The whole concept of seasonal wildfires is so wild to me. I mean sure, we have hurricane season and some periodic punishing floods here in New England that can kill ya, but the gates of hell it is not.
I only stayed for two summer seasons out there but it was an issue both. One of them was really bad enough that you really couldn't be outside hiking or biking almost all of the summer.

ThatGuy

Blew my mind the first time I drove cross country and you could see a wall of smoke by Colorado and Wyoming from fires. Could smell it before that too.

kbroderick

The concept of "seasonal" wildfires is changing pretty rapidly, too. Wildfire seasons are getting longer (and hotter and drier) as a whole, which isn't great news for living in wildfire country (the definition of which is changing, too).

abc

The concept of "seasonal" wildfires is changing pretty rapidly, too. Wildfire seasons are getting longer (and hotter and drier) as a whole, which isn't great news for living in wildfire country (the definition of which is changing, too).
And to think 20 years ago those wild fires weren't "seasonal" but only once in a few years...

And only in different, isolated areas, not spread across wide areas.

raisingarizona

My plan out there before i ended up back here was to spend my summer seasons in Tahoe and Winters in Utah, Tahoe in the warm months is awesome but man there's some rough winters there.
I drove through on a late June Saturday this past summer and the weekends to me looked intolerable. I didn’t stop once in fear of the insane crowd scene.

BenedictGomez

On the bright side, the more they happen, the less they'll happen.

snoseek

I drove through on a late June Saturday this past summer and the weekends to me looked intolerable. I didn’t stop once in fear of the insane crowd scene.
Oh its bad and that time of year is absolute peak but I never mind thats when you make the rent. September was my favorite. Even the end of August it would slack.

abc

This past summer, it's intolerable everywhere in this whole freaking country! I guess you weren't at Utah this past June... ;)

Not just weekends. The whole summer!!!

raisingarizona

This past summer, it's intolerable everywhere in this whole freaking country! I guess you weren't at Utah this past June... ;)

Not just weekends. The whole summer!!!
I was in Utah last June! Hiding out though just east of Zion building a new trail system. It’s still quiet over there.

Hawk

Taxes in California are insane. There is the Reno option but I would want a different climate and overall landscape. I don't think I would choose Tahoe based on my prior experiences most of which were discussed above in some maner. My decision will be retirement based because that is comming soon. We were looking into the Vancouver area and maybe Europe kind of an outside dream. We also looked into the Bend Area and SLC. Somewhere north of SLC might be the ticket with culture and decent food close by.

Hawk

There are several options. You can stay for 6 months and appy for an extension and stay longer. You can also apply for perminent resedency which is a longer process. I know people who have reired there so I am sure there is a process and unless you have some kind of criminal record or blemish in your history, you can make it happen.

Edd

There are several options. You can stay for 6 months and appy for an extension and stay longer. You can also apply for perminent resedency which is a longer process. I know people who have reired there so I am sure there is a process and unless you have some kind of criminal record or blemish in your history, you can make it happen.
Isn’t there a fairly large amount of $ you’d have to put up to move to Canada? Also, I’m pretty sure Vancouver is more expensive than Tahoe generally speaking.

Hawk

Hoestly Edd, I have not looked at all the specifics. I am not even sure I would live in Vancouver. One positive thing that I am interested in is not having to listen to continuous bithing about american politics and Covid. That will be a bonus from moving up there that far outways any cost. :)