• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

In Memory of ...

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
A thread in the weather forum got me thinking about this.

I grew up skiing with my family but most especially my Dad and brothers so now I ski with a little bit of my older brother - a dhart pin, and my Dad - a chrome ski chain. And every year around the time of my Dad's death (end of March) my younger brother and I have a memorial ski day.

What about you? Any special stuff you ski with or special memorial ski day?

MadMadWorld

A thread in the weather forum got me thinking about this.

I grew up skiing with my family but most especially my Dad and brothers so now I ski with a little bit of my older brother - a dhart pin, and my Dad - a chrome ski chain. And every year around the time of my Dad's death (end of March) my younger brother and I have a memorial ski day.

What about you? Any special stuff you ski with or special memorial ski day?

Great idea for a thread...

A bunch of my buddies from college and I used to rent a place up near Stowe/Smuggs at least once a year. It was a ritual that went on for years. After awhile though career and families took a front seat and the trip was cancelled for a few years in row. It wasn't until one of our friends passed away from cancer that we realized the importance of it. Last year was the first time in 3 or 4 years that all of us managed to make the trip. It was amazing that we were all able to get together to celebrate our buddies life and to enjoy sharing in the fun of skiing with our next generation of rippers. I can't wait until this year!

Newpylong

I don't have anything specific but evertime I go skiing I think about my mother (she passed way in 2000), because skiing is what I remember most about childhood. Most of the time when I drive by Brodie I tear up - both at memories and what has become of the place. My mother and father were on the adult race club there, so besides going over every weekend and snow day, I was there after school every Wednesday night for the late races. My mother was a timer at the bottom and my father at the top.

Warp Daddy

Yep every dec 26 th me my sons and grandsons and my BIL. Gather for a Ski day in memory of my dad who started me with winter. Sports when I was 5 yrs old in 1948

steamboat1

I just get together with "Da Boyz" the 1st weekend of Dec. & then again whenever K-Mart closes. Been doing this every year for 15 years or so. We're getting older.

Fortunately both my parents who taught me how to ski are still alive, they both quit skiing a few years ago though.

JimG.

Staff member
I want to go over to Switzerland with some of my mom's ashes and scatter them on top of a summit at one of the ski towns we visited during holidays in my childhood. Maybe St. Moritz or Zermatt. Bring the family.

Then, each year after, I can celebrate her life on top of any mountain I happen to be at.

Cannonball

Great stories! I don't have one quite at that level. But I did spread the ashes of my old dog on the summit of Mary Jane. He was a Colorado dog and he loved being in the mountains big time. Makes me smile every time I get up there.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I don't have anything specific but evertime I go skiing I think about my mother (she passed way in 2000), because skiing is what I remember most about childhood. Most of the time when I drive by Brodie I tear up - both at memories and what has become of the place. My mother and father were on the adult race club there, so besides going over every weekend and snow day, I was there after school every Wednesday night for the late races. My mother was a timer at the bottom and my father at the top.
Where would you go for a Brodie memorial?:sadwalk:

I want to go over to Switzerland with some of my mom's ashes and scatter them on top of a summit at one of the ski towns we visited during holidays in my childhood. Maybe St. Moritz or Zermatt. Bring the family.

Then, each year after, I can celebrate her life on top of any mountain I happen to be at.

Great stories! I don't have one quite at that level. But I did spread the ashes of my old dog on the summit of Mary Jane. He was a Colorado dog and he loved being in the mountains big time. Makes me smile every time I get up there.

That right up there Cannonball. Maybe we need a "Where I spread ashes" thread?