• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

4aprice

Indy is really a spectacular deal for NH (really New England as a whole) skiing.

I live in the Upper Valley, and within 45 minutes I have 8 days between Dartmouth, Suicide 6, Whaleback, Ragged. Make that an hour and I've got another 2 days each at Cannon, Pats and Waterville. Now within 1.5 you add Jay, Bolton, Middlebury, Black and a few others. Unreal value.
I like someone who lives up to their word. You have been one to say in the mega pass threads that there are indeed other options available and not everyone needs to be at those resorts. I went to school in the Upper Valley and so I know these small mountains are chock full of fun and good skiing. Logged a lot of time on both Whaleback and Dartmouth and when the snow is good they are just as exciting as the bigger hills. I do keep a mega pass by choice but am thinking about getting the indy add on to my Granby Pass as it seems pretty reasonable and look forward to enjoying some of the little guys as well.

2planks2coasts

As critical as I am of Indys strongarm shenanigans, it's a super sweet deal. Those of us in central NH are literally surrounded by Indy resorts. The only downside I see is that Tenney is unlikely to end up on Indy now that so many other NH resorts have joined.

Edd

As critical as I am of Indys strongarm shenanigans, it's a super sweet deal. Those of us in central NH are literally surrounded by Indy resorts. The only downside I see is that Tenney is unlikely to end up on Indy now that so many other NH resorts have joined.
That’d be nice but I’ll eat a ticket on that one, very curious about the place.

abc

Then we run out of season.
when the snow is good they are just as exciting as the bigger hills. I do keep a mega pass by choice but am thinking ab
I enjoyed those smaller mountains a lot, “when the snow is goid”

However, given our NE weather, there are a LOT of the days when the snow isn’t good!

Then, “we run out of season”!

I dislike the mega-pass mountains in Vermont. The crowds, the over-groomed soulless runs… But, when Mother Nature doesn’t cooperates, those same overgroomed, soulless runs of man made snow are what save the season! ☹️

Last edited:

snoseek

I enjoyed those smaller mountains a lot, “when the snow is goid”

However, given our NE weather, there are a LOT of the days when the snow isn’t good!

Then, “we run out of season”!

I dislike the mega-pass mountains in Vermont. The crowds, the over-groomed soulless runs… But, when Mother Nature doesn’t cooperates, those same overgroomed, soulless runs of man made snow are what save the season! ☹️
Meh, those big hills ski off real fast when the snow sucks. I would rather ski a place like bolton or ragged when all goes to shit vs killington or stowe.

2planks2coasts

That’d be nice but I’ll eat a ticket on that one, very curious about the place.
Totally worth it. We're buying a condo there, fully aware of the tenuous ( or Tenney-uos?) future of the resort. It's a great spot with or without the resort open.
I think the resort needs to be a part of a bigger network one way or another to be more visible marketing wise. Either Indy or a reciprocal group like the Freedom Pass with Cooper, etc, etc.

I bought a pass there for next season, even before we decided to buy the condo. That pass, combined with Indy (and a few day passes in Europe as Indy only has Ski Welt) should give me all the ski days I need next season.

Though all the Japan additions to Indy might have me rethinking Europe 😁😁

Last edited:
Reactions: Edd

abc

Meh, those big hills ski off real fast when the snow sucks. I would rather ski a place like bolton or ragged when all goes to shit vs killington or stowe.
They may “ski off” fast. But there’s something to ski at all.

I don’t feel like skiing when “all goes to shit”. It’s not like it’s “free”, even if it work out to be only $25/day. It’s $25 I don’t need to spend. Plus gas, food (never mind lodging if it’s an overnighter)

snoseek

They may “ski off” fast. But there’s something to ski at all.

I don’t feel like skiing when “all goes to shit”. It’s not like it’s “free”, even if it work out to be only $25/day. It’s $25 I don’t need to spend. Plus gas, food (never mind lodging if it’s an overnighter)
Overgroomed man-made snow at a small mountain beats overgroomed man-made at a big mountain imo. That's all I'm saying. An easy drive and a cheap pass and I'll ski just about anything unless it's truly gone to total shit. This is a good portion of most seasons

Dickc

So of I have a cannon and ragged passing buy an add on how does that work?
I hold a Pats Peak pass. You go to the Indy site and buy the add on pass. They need a hard confirmation of your pass purchase like your email receipt from your home mountain to activate it. You will NOT be able to use your Indy pass at your home mountain, but it works like a regular Indy pass everywhere else.

abc

Again, every pass keeps adding more and more mountains to the pass. I never care about the numbers. I only care the individual mountains on the pass. It’s only of better value if the added mountain is one I want to ski. Otherwise, it’s of no value to me, even though it may benefit others.

This round of addition is a good one though. But I’ll only think about it come October (Which I believe is the next “window” to buy).

The truth being, I typically ski far fewer days than the maximum of what’s theoretically available on whatever pass I have. So rather than counting how many days I could “possibly” use it, I count what I “realistically” could use. The “realistic” part being the weather and season length.

Taking into account various discounts on day tickets, it’s not a given that a pass will come out ahead.

2planks2coasts

They added Innsbruke in that same announcement. Apparently there are 12 areas there, I assume you only get 2 tickets though.
Someone on FB said that too, but I don't see that in the announcement or on the website. Got a link?

ETA: it's in the email list, but not the announcement on the website, nor on their map. Premature?

Last edited:

abc

They added Innsbruke in that same announcement. Apparently there are 12 areas there, I assume you only get 2 tickets though.
European resorts are typically groomers only. So some of the small mountain can be really limited.

But if you know the area, you can seek out the bigger ones which maybe worthwhile.

LoafSkier19

There are five Northeast additions:
  • Camden Snow Bowl, ME
  • Cape Smokey, NS
  • Middlebury Snowbowl, VT
  • Mt. Abram, ME
  • Ragged Mountain, NH
I’m psyched to check out the ocean views at Camden Snow Bowl
These are great additions for me. Mt. Abram was always my go to spot if there’s snow early in the week. Could guarantee an empty powder day once they reopened on Thursdays. Camden I can probably sneak to on a short work day. Never been to Ragged but I’ll definitely check it out. Between Ikon and Indy I’ve pretty much got my state covered now which is sweet!

2planks2coasts

These are great additions for me. Mt. Abram was always my go to spot if there’s snow early in the week. Could guarantee an empty powder day once they reopened on Thursdays. Camden I can probably sneak to on a short work day. Never been to Ragged but I’ll definitely check it out. Between Ikon and Indy I’ve pretty much got my state covered now which is sweet!

Abram is OK but I took my wife there back in the first Indy Pass year before they left it.

I'm still hearing about about how the base area is a tent with no power plugs and a bar that doesn't open til 3. Not a place to bring a non-skier.

Mum skier

Totally worth it. We're buying a condo there, fully aware of the tenuous ( or Tenney-uos?) future of the resort. It's a great spot with or without the resort open.
I think the resort needs to be a part of a bigger network one way or another to be more visible marketing wise. Either Indy or a reciprocal group like the Freedom Pass with Cooper, etc, etc.

I bought a pass there for next season, even before we decided to buy the condo. That pass, combined with Indy (and a few day passes in Europe as Indy only has Ski Welt) should give me all the ski days I need next season.

Though all the Japan additions to Indy might have me rethinking Europe 😁😁
Regardless of Tenneys future that location is pretty convenient for many summer and winter activities. We bought a house in Rumney (main driver was the climbing) a few years ago. But it pretty central for many Indy resorts, summer hiking and doesn’t come with the price hike of Lincoln or North Conway. Plymouth is a cute town with nice restaurants, big Walmart, easy access from 93. Sounds like a good buy to me!

abc

Not a place to bring a non-skier.
Isn’t that an oxymoron?

Early in my skiing life, I went skiing with a couple of friends. One got tired and decided to wait in the lodge. By the time we finished, he’s bored to near insanity. I’ve learned from that experience NEVER to bring any non-skiing companion to wait in the base lodge of these “non-resort” ski mountains.

Sure, Vail/Alterra mega-mountains have base “village” that can amuse non-skiers. But that’s the part some of us hate about the corporate ski mountains!

2planks2coasts

Isn’t that an oxymoron?

Early in my skiing life, I went skiing with a couple of friends. One got tired and decided to wait in the lodge. By the time we finished, he’s bored to near insanity. I’ve learned from that experience NEVER to bring any non-skiing companion to wait in the base lodge of these “non-resort” ski mountains.

Sure, Vail/Alterra mega-mountains have base “village” that can amuse non-skiers. But that’s the part some of us hate about the corporate ski mountains!
She works from home and is fine working from any lodge with wifi & a decent bar with food. If there's a fireplace she can sit by, even better. Abram was a bit too rustic for her.

Reactions: abc

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's too bad the old lodge burnt down at Mt Abram. I recall it being pretty decent for a mountain it's size. I don't see them ever having the cash for another classic, stick built lodge, but maybe some day they can replace what they have with something like Crotched at least. Crotched lodge is ugly, but highly functional.

As for the skiing itself, it's probably tied with Big Rock for me for my favorite %1000 vertical mountain in the East. Great pitch , excellent character to some of their trails and minimal run out. On a Saturday powder day I'd much prefer stopping at Abram vs going up the road to Sunday River.