• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

RH29

Indy only makes sense as an Eastern, Midwestern, and Japanese pass (unless maybe if you live in Boise or Spokane). There are no giant draws in the west. PowMow was probably the closest to that that existed and that pales in comparison to the other Utah giants.

KustyTheKlown

Some steep terrain around Paradise. And Hidden Lake is a fast lift with interesting terrain. It's slowly going private so in a few years will be off bounds to public

one chair with steep terrain. hidden lake terrain is not interesting. unless you use it to get to woodys and then ski down to a bus shuttle. horrible infrastructure. no sustained vertical. stupid layout. tons of lengthy flats. slow lifts. lower elevation than almost any other utah ski area. overrated in every way. especially overrated by the indy pass weirdos.

snoseek

1399 is
If you want to head a bit further north, Beaver Mountain is a nice local mountain on Indy, very uncrowded.
I hit this place on a very ideal day like 5 years ago. Somebody showed me some sidecountry stuff and I got some of the very finest turns I've had in my life. Byob fwiw.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The people I know who love Powmow say they do so because of lack of crowds . I've never particularly heard anyone talk about the great terrain.

eatskisleep

Some steep terrain around Paradise. And Hidden Lake is a fast lift with interesting terrain. It's slowly going private so in a few years will be off bounds to public
Wow really? That’s too bad I’ve always wanted to ski there. Makes me sad the sport is becoming so expensive and for the elitist.

jaytrem

Wow really? That’s too bad I’ve always wanted to ski there. Makes me sad the sport is becoming so expensive and for the elitist.
Things seem up in the air with Powder. This year they're not limiting the season pass sales. So who knows???

2planks2coasts

Not at all. They're making a few lifts private. They're also lifting the cap on season passes, inviting the unwashed masses in wholesale. It won't likely ever go fully private, especially with Wasatch Peaks nearby.

I really enjoy powmow, at least the indy years iteration of it. Had a couple of amazing pow days there and managed to find plenty of pitch steep enough to keep me moving through the fluff. But I rather enjoy old and slow lifts.

The loss is a big hit to Indy for sure, but not a deal breaker for most. Indy is promising 200 resorts this season or you can get a refund on your pass.

Hillwalker95

Not at all. They're making a few lifts private. They're also lifting the cap on season passes, inviting the unwashed masses in wholesale. It won't likely ever go fully private, especially with Wasatch Peaks nearby.

I really enjoy powmow, at least the indy years iteration of it. Had a couple of amazing pow days there and managed to find plenty of pitch steep enough to keep me moving through the fluff. But I rather enjoy old and slow lifts.

The loss is a big hit to Indy for sure, but not a deal breaker for most. Indy is promising 200 resorts this season or you can get a refund on your pass.
I've got no inside knowledge (east coaster i am) but was speaking to a couple of long time season passholders and they see the hiving off of Marys/Village as just the start. I also like PowMow and its quirkiness, starting with the lodges being half/full way up the mountain, all natural snow, and as you said no crowds.

Hillwalker95

one chair with steep terrain. hidden lake terrain is not interesting. unless you use it to get to woodys and then ski down to a bus shuttle. horrible infrastructure. no sustained vertical. stupid layout. tons of lengthy flats. slow lifts. lower elevation than almost any other utah ski area. overrated in every way. especially overrated by the indy pass weirdos.
LOL - say what you really think, bud. No sitting on the fence ...

deadheadskier

Staff member

I wonder how losing Powder impacts redemption rates at Beaver? I bet few people fly to Utah for Beaver, but they did for Powmow and end up hitting Beaver while there.

Kinda like how I would be unlikely to travel to Rumford to ski Black on its own, but when I go to Saddleback on Indy, we also hit Black.

Any other SLC area places they could pick up?

2planks2coasts

I wonder how losing Powder impacts redemption rates at Beaver? I bet few people fly to Utah for Beaver, but they did for Powmow and end up hitting Beaver while there.

Kinda like how I would be unlikely to travel to Rumford to ski Black on its own, but when I go to Saddleback on Indy, we also hit Black.

Any other SLC area places they could pick up?
Maybe Sundance. Ideal fit but they have a reciprocal deal with Cooper. Indy would require them to ditch that.

TyWebb

I think a while back someone posted that Jay won't be on the pass next year - any info on that?

Edd

Yeah, that’s what we did last year so I’d think visits will drop to Beaver.

However, they have no bar or booze otherwise. They have a small cafe, sure, but when people are drinking they often have a proper meal, spending more on food than you’ll spend in a cafeteria. So maybe it won’t affect them too much with their current business model.

AdironRider

I think a while back someone posted that Jay won't be on the pass next year - any info on that?

This rumor gets bandied about it seems like yearly, but Jay gets the most redemptions from Indy compared to any other resort (I believe not just for the East but for all of Indy), and that has to be a financial win for them.

jimmywilson69

New owners though so at least this year the rumors makes sense but you are probably correct that it is a nice wind fall for them.

2planks2coasts

New owners though so at least this year the rumors makes sense but you are probably correct that it is a nice wind fall for them.
PGRI had purchased Jay prior to this season, but agreed to keep it on Indy. Who knows what they'll do this year?

Holding onto Jay blurs the lines a bit for Indy. PGRI is every bit as corporate an operator as Boyne or POWDR. Jay is also, as of now at least, the only resort in their portfolio that participates in a major pass outside of their own network. There are other multi mountain groups on Indy, but they (AFAIK) have all their mountains participate on the pass. Silver/49N, Mission Ridge/Blacktail, Mt High/China Peak/Bear Valley, B.East/Catamount, etc.

Last edited:
This rumor gets bandied about it seems like yearly, but Jay gets the most redemptions from Indy compared to any other resort (I believe not just for the East but for all of Indy), and that has to be a financial win for them.
Are you sure about that? I heard it was Pats Peak

skimagic

They haven't made too many inroads into Colorado either. Sunlight is a great place and a lot of fun, but I thought they would get Powderhorn as well and it hasn't happened
The GEMs card seems to keep the smaller colorado ski areas together. Plus im sure they dont need much more traffic that INDY would provide given plenty of CO skiers go to these areas to escape the mega crowds.