• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

IPhone owning skiers may wish to upgrade

VTKilarney

The iPhone 6 has a barometer built into it - which is a first for the iPhone. (Some Android phones have had barometers for a while.)

This is good news for those of us who like to use our iPhone to track vertical statistics. I know that when I use my bicycling app, the vertical is WAY off.

I don't seem to have as much of a problem with skiing apps. I'm assuming it's because the skiing apps know how much vertical various mountains and/or ski lifts have and don't rely completely on the GPS. Or maybe I've just been lucky.

And if you order the iPhone 6 Plus, you can also use it as a lunch tray in the cafeteria!

The only real concern I have had when bringing my iPhone skiing is that it gets condensation on it when it is in an inside pocket. And I've been too nervous to have it in an outside pocket - although I am not sure why.

jimmywilson69

I don't own an iphone I use Android, and I've never had an issue with condensation on an inside pocket. I've been using them to listen to music and track my days for 4-5 years.

My new Galaxy S5 is water resistant, so I'm definitely not worried now.

AdironRider

I have had my iphone 4 for almost 4 years now, 350 ski days, no case, and have not had one issue with it, it sits on the outside breast pocket every time I go skiing.

I also think that barometer is going to be just as wonky for vertical, if its snowing it'll say your higher (in a general sense - low pressure bad weather) etc. Weather especially in the NE, isnt static for an 8 hour ski day.

Still cool though, and that big screen is awesome.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have an S4 and I'm not sure if it has barometer or not. But can't they pull elevation based on terrain maps? In other words, if you are skiing, and you know your lat / lon coordinates, can't apps use terrain data (like a topo map) to figure out elevation at that particular coordinate?

Obviously this doesn't work when you are doing something like flying. but for ground-based activities they should be able to get an accurate elevation and vertical.

Edd

The only real concern I have had when bringing my iPhone skiing is that it gets condensation on it when it is in an inside pocket. And I've been too nervous to have it in an outside pocket - although I am not sure why.

It's always puzzled me that condensation isn't more of a problem with smartphones. Except for temporary battery drain, the cold hasn't caused issues for me.

Highway Star

I prefer to ski without the phone. But when I do, it goes in a ziplock snack bag in an inside pocket.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Good point AR. And I'm a droid guy.

I bet a donut that barometer is worthless. Riding lifts/skiing (quick 1000 ft elevation changes) and proximitely to varying heat levels by being next to the body, will make it fluctuate wildly.

fbrissette

Good point AR. And I'm a droid guy.

I bet a donut that barometer is worthless. Riding lifts/skiing (quick 1000 ft elevation changes) and proximitely to varying heat levels by being next to the body, will make it fluctuate wildly.

Barometers work especially well with quick elevation changes such as happen when skiing. They are less precise with slow changes since changes in atmospheric pressure will interfere with precise readings.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Barometers work especially well with quick elevation changes such as happen when skiing. They are less precise with slow changes since changes in atmospheric pressure will interfere with precise readings.

I haven't seen that.

It was a few years ago and maybe the technology has advanced. I had a pricey Avocet barometer/altimeter watch that was useless as either IF I was wearing it. Especially skiing.

It was excellent sitting on my desk.

If someone gets one I'd love to see a report back.

fbrissette

I haven't seen that.

It was a few years ago and maybe the technology has advanced. I had a pricey Avocet barometer/altimeter watch that was useless as either IF I was wearing it. Especially skiing.

It was excellent sitting on my desk.

If someone gets one I'd love to see a report back.

My garmin edge 500 tracks altitude pretty well (I do the Jay Peak Richford loop regularly) and my Nexus 5 phone tracks with it very well. I don't know why you had a bad experience. A barometer is a simple pressure gauge. It should respond nearly instantaneously to changes in pressure.

HowieT2

My iPhone works about 3 minutes in temps under 40

Fwiw-there is a free battery replacement program for the iphone5. Go to apple website and enter serial number to see if you qualify.
also, I use a mophie to double the battery.

yeggous

A respected (and big mouthed) meteorology professor has been using cell phone barometer observations in weather forecasting for a couple years now.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2012/12/can-smartphone-observations.html

Now that cell carriers have decoupled service and phone prices, I am having a hard time justifying an iPhone 6. I just don't see how a phone can possibly be worth $750. I've previously owned the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5, and I have an iPhone 4s for work. Right now I am seriously considering abandoning Apple and buying a Google Nexus 5 or OnePlus One. I can use the extra money on beer and skiing.

AdironRider

Well considering its about a tenth the size of a laptop with arguably just as much capability (in a general sense, we all know people aren't working on excel spreadsheets from a phone), it seems like a fair deal.

Also, if you were to buy a standalone digital camera, radio, mp3 player, web machine (tablet), etc you'd come in way above a 750 pricepoint, so again it seems like a good deal there as well.

That being said, buying the latest and greatest is probably not going to ever be worth it, just like with computers they are obsolete the day you buy them.

SIKSKIER

I have an Avocet also.The barometers are pretty accurate as far as vertical ascended/descended.They must be adjusted for known elevation right before use to have an accurate elevation but the vertical up or down doesn't care if its calibrated or not.Thats all relative.Same for a phone with a barometer.