• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is 4WD/AWD a neccesity on your ski vehicle?

C-Rex

I'm on my 3rd WRX and I can't say enough for them. So much fun to drive, decent mileage considering the power, and reliable as hell. My '13 has a surprising amount of trunk space for a smaller car. With the roof rack I can easily get 4 people and all our gear on board. I've cruised right up the killington access road on an icy day when 4wd trucks were sliding backwards. And I've driven my '06 down unplowed roads with 10 inches of snow and higher drifts with no problem. Snow was coming up over the hood and I was worried that the radiator opening would get packed up and cause me to overheat but it never became an issue. I have a lead foot so I get around 23mpg average when commuting where my drive is about 50/50 back roads to highway. On long highway trips I can get over 27mpg if I keep it under 75mph. That's not too bad considering AWD and 265 hp on tap.

hammer

I'm on my 3rd WRX and I can't say enough for them. So much fun to drive, decent mileage considering the power, and reliable as hell. My '13 has a surprising amount of trunk space for a smaller car. With the roof rack I can easily get 4 people and all our gear on board. I've cruised right up the killington access road on an icy day when 4wd trucks were sliding backwards. And I've driven my '06 down unplowed roads with 10 inches of snow and higher drifts with no problem. Snow was coming up over the hood and I was worried that the radiator opening would get packed up and cause me to overheat but it never became an issue. I have a lead foot so I get around 23mpg average when commuting where my drive is about 50/50 back roads to highway. On long highway trips I can get over 27mpg if I keep it under 75mph. That's not too bad considering AWD and 265 hp on tap.
How are the insurance rates on the WRX?

Savemeasammy

Our ski vehicle will be my wife's Jetta tdi wagon we bought in the spring. We will put snows on it, and I expect it to do nicely for most of our ski trips. If needed, we can use my Ram 4x4 gas guzzler. At 13 mpg, prefer to let it hang out in the driveway. I do use the truck when I go to my local hill so that my wife isn't stuck driving it - or worse yet, my van... She hates both!

C-Rex

Not too bad since it's a sedan and they get very good safety ratings. But telling you my rates wouldn't give you a good idea because I have a dividend policy with Amica and a less than spotless driving record.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
"Is 4WD/AWD a necessity on your ski vehicle?" Well I don't like use my truck for skiing. But as far as getting around up here in ski country, having good snow tires make a huge difference (studs are annoying and overkill). I have mine mounted on a set of steel rims. Even in just 2 wheel drive they really help keep the back end from stepping out in slippery conditions. When it gets deep, the feeling of all four tires hooking up and pulling the truck through the snow is a good feeling. And then, IMHO, the most important part is being able to stop and/or not slide sideways off the road. The difference here between non-snow and snow tires can be HUGE.

steamboat1

My ski car is a Subaru Imprezza Outback Sport. Same car as a WRX without the extra horsepower. Engine power is adequate for the way I drive. Car runs on regular gas not high test which is required in the WRX & STI models. That can save in excess 30-40 cents a gallon which adds up. The sport model also has an extra 2" of ground clearance due to a raised suspension. Haven't really noticed much of a difference in gas mileage between running her with snow tires as opposed to all seasons. Temperature seems to be a more important factor for gas mileage than tires. In warm weather I get around 31mpg hwy & in cold weather about 28mpg hwy. Car comes with a built in roof rack if I ever wanted to put a box on top. Haven't needed to even though I already own a box I used on my previous car. Plenty of space for two people with ski's & luggage with the back seats down. If I ever was going to drive her with more than two people then I'd put the box on which would only take a couple of minutes because the racks are already there. I know I used to lose about 2-3mpg with the box on top with my old car. Don't know how much I'd lose with the Subi. This is my first AWD car & it makes a huge difference when driving in snow, especially climbing hills. Last year was the first year I put snow tires on her & I couldn't really tell you how much better they are in snow as opposed to all seasons. Only had one opportunity to drive in snow last year because I got hurt early in the season & couldn't drive. I know even with all seasons she went through snow with no problem. I've been very happy with the car.

El Bishop

What makes more sense: switching tires for snows on existing rims or buying 4 new rims and doing the switch myself? I figure teh cost savings from not paying to put them on and off the rims would cover the cost of the rims within a season or two. But do I need to be concerned with the balance if I switch out four wheels myself?

Riverskier

I have always had fwd cars. Up until 2 years ago I always just used all season tires and got around fine (no mountain passes or anything). Two years ago I finally bought snow tires, and wow, what a difference! I actually enjoy driving in the snow now, and haven't had a problem driving in even the worst storms. I feel like I am driving a tank, and can't imagine ever needing AWD or 4WD, though it would be nice. Talk about tanks though, my wife drives a 2011 Subaru Outback with snow tires, and that thing is a beast! You can literally drive through snowbanks in that thing.

octopus

What makes more sense: switching tires for snows on existing rims or buying 4 new rims and doing the switch myself? I figure teh cost savings from not paying to put them on and off the rims would cover the cost of the rims within a season or two. But do I need to be concerned with the balance if I switch out four wheels myself?

it seems to kinda be a wash, at least around here. i've heard a couple tire dealers advertise they'll change over your snow tires every year(free) for you if you buy them at that dealer. i personally went on craigslist and just bought a used set of rims and tires because my stock rims are kinda nice alloys.

steamboat1

it seems to kinda be a wash, at least around here. i've heard a couple tire dealers advertise they'll change over your snow tires every year(free) for you if you buy them at that dealer. i personally went on craigslist and just bought a used set of rims and tires because my stock rims are kinda nice alloys.

My tire dealer offered to change my tires free of charge because I bought both sets of tires from him.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
We have all Subaru's, four of them. We keep one up at our house in Hunter and non of them have snow tires just "all weather" ones. These Subie's are the best! My wife and daughter both drive Outback wagons and average 30 miles per gallon! Way better then the overpriced Audi's. I drive an Impreza, very basic cheap commuter car.

HD333

I had a Saab with nice rims and I used to switch the wheels out for snows mounted on cheap steel wheels each year myself, had them balanced once and never had to do it again. With the Tahoe the cost of rims was a bit much (had a tough time finding simple steel wheels) so I went with mounting the tires on the existing rims, in the long run separate wheels will probably be cheaper, but I am banking on at least a few "free" switch overs for being a repeat customer, unfortunately after looking at the summer tires that just came off I think I will be in the market for some summer tires come May.

BenedictGomez

Summer Tires < All Season < Winter Tires < AWD < AWD + Winter Tires

There are a lot of variables to consider (weight of vehicle, etc...), but all things considered the above is typically correct*

*assuming your "AWD" at least has all seasons on it, which it should given the "summer tires" are pretty much going the way of the Dodo bird anyway.

mlctvt

Absolutely crappy for us on our '05 WRX. Much more than our 05 Legacy GT even though the Legacy has more horsepower and is worth more.
WRXs are VERY expensive to insure even with a perfectly clean 30 year history for both my wife and I . Kids wreck too many and drive up the rates for everyone.

I'm with C-Rex on these WRXs, awesome cars. Especially with snow tires!
I'm thinking about getting a new 2014 WRX hatchback since the 2015 won't have a hatchback version available.

Last edited:

podunk77

I've never had 4WD or snow tires on any car I've owned. I'm a big believer in "keep your speed down in adverse weather conditions and you'll be fine."

MadMadWorld

I can give my experience as a police officer. 4WD is nice to have after a storm if the roads haven't plowed or sanded adequately. Some mountain access roads are worse than others too. There is a downside to 4WD though. It gives a lot of people a false sense of security. Drivers go faster and take a lot more risks. I receive a lot more calls for accidents and rollovers for 4WD vehicles than non during storms. Good tires and smart driving can get you there safe and sound.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

I've never had 4WD or snow tires on any car I've owned. I'm a big believer in "keep your speed down in adverse weather conditions and you'll be fine."

Try going up hill in season tires with front wheel drive doesn't usually work in few inches. My little Toyota Tercell was great in snow. My Honda Accord not so much.

octopus

i almost didn't make it into magic mtn a couple years ago with the stock tires on my vw golf after a couple inches of snow were on the road, the same thing happened at sunday river going up a hill. got a set of blizzak tires and its much better now.