• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keeping glove dry in the rain?

abc

I surprised myself by skiing in the pouring rain yesterday!

I always thought skiing in pouring rain are for losers. ;) But I got a free ticket, a place to crash and someone fun to ski with. So I thought oh well, maybe just a couple runs...

As it turns out, it was FABULOUS! The snow was consistently creamy and, due to the relatively low temperature, it never turned to slush. Basically, long duration corn! So I ended up making quite a few more than "a couple" runs! :)

So, I'm officially a convert to skiing in the rain (given the right condition).

To help with my enthusiasm, I stayed pretty much bone dry! Well, almost bone dry. One area of failure was the wrist. Even though the glove shell itself was waterproof, water ran down my sleeve (waterproof jacket + poncho = 100% bone dry) through the wrist into my gloves! :( So my hands were cold after about 2 hrs. (didn't help I had a hole in one of them, but even the other one WITHOUT the hole also got wet a bit later, starting from the cuff)

Oh yea, I wear mitts (got cold hands). So I really can't help but to need to occasionally take the mitts off from time to time, to adjust boots, look at watch, read trail map... So suggestion of duct taping the "interface" in raining days need not apply ;)

My current gloves had always been a bit of a shortcoming in my setup. While incredibly warm, the cuff wasn't long enough so if I'm not careful, a gap develops between my jacket cuff and glove. Snow got in if I fall, or when snowing. I've thought about snowboard gloves, which typically has a huge long cuff. But I'm not sure if that works in preventing water running down my sleeve into the cuff.

Since my current pair of mittens has developed a hole, I'm naturally in a position to look at better alternatives. Anyone who's been there and have suggestion on what feature to look for that would work for skiing in pouring rain?

(I wish my jacket sleeve has an over cuff. But none of the jackets I have has that and I'm not sure if such feature even exist in the current fashion. Besides, my jacket is relatively new so I'd rather not buy a new one for a while)

drjeff

If at all feasibly possible, you've got to get the cuffs of your hand wear of choice tucked under/into the sleeves of your coat when skiing in the rain. Makes a HUGE difference in terms of keeping your hands dry and getting more comfortable laps on what is very often AWESOME wet snow!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Under the cuff + Gore Tex gloves or mitts. They are on sale this time of year. I like my Black Diamond gloves a lot.

abc

If at all feasibly possible, you've got to get the cuffs of your hand wear of choice tucked under/into the sleeves of your coat when skiing in the rain. Makes a HUGE difference in terms of keeping your hands dry and getting more comfortable laps on what is very often AWESOME wet snow!
Yeah, I always felt the cuff of my mitts were kind of short. More over, while the shell of the gloves are waterproof, the cuff part isn't. So unless I can get the jacket sleeve to overlap part of the shell, water can get through via the non-waterproof cuff.

However, my jacket's sleeves aren't terribly long. I'm not sure it's long enough to cover the cuffs of typical gloves. I guess I need to find gloves/mitts that has extra long shell pass the typical cuff area...

Cannonball

Xwhaler, Mishka, and I skied in the pouring, freezing rain one day this year. Mishka was rock'n some long, rubber, chemical-handling gloves. I goofed on him for awhile, until my hands were soaked and his were dry.....

boston_e

Yeah I'd say just good waterproof gloves with a longer cuff.

The thing is though, I find that if its raining enough there is a limit to how watertight and waterproof everything is.

I've enjoyed being out in the rain, but I find the days are shorter, just because I'm done with being in the rain after a while.

I take the day, enjoy it for what it is, and then enjoy some more down time after being out.

Puck it

Xwhaler, Mishka, and I skied in the pouring, freezing rain one day this year. Mishka was rock'n some long, rubber, chemical-handling gloves. I goofed on him for awhile, until my hands were soaked and his were dry.....
I will get you a pair of orange acid gloves for you from work

mishka

rubber gloves not exactly stylish but practical. Downside they are cold.....hmmmmm I never thought about orange gloves can be color-coordinated with my skis :cool::cool:

xwhaler

Lol. Truth.....While my nice over the cuff EMS Gore tex gloves were sopping wet/cold

abc

I found that interesting but also goes kind of against my past experience. Rubber gloves tend to keep sweat in and, without insulation, would have led to cold hand pretty quickly.

(this experience of mine didn't come from skiing but from white water... above 50 degrees, I was ok. But my hand got cold fast at lower temperature. Granted, water of 50 degree is probably as cold as 40 degree of air?)

drjeff

Also one other thing when considering hand ware in the rain..... water RESISTANT is NOT the same as WATERPROOF!!!

If you're out there long enough in water RESISTANT gloves you're more than likely going to end up with damp/wet hands (and not from sweat ;) )

abc

I know WHERE water was coming in: from the cuff.

First, wrist got wet, then palm, the finger part stayed dry the longest.

Whether the glove shell is waterproof or water resistant would only have bearing until I can stop the water from coming in through the cuff. (given I was out there for over an hr and the fingers stayed dry, I'd say the shell was truly water PROOF)

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I routinely carry two pairs of gloves when I go skiing. If the forecast includes rain, I bring an extra pair or two. Can't afford fancy gloves? Get some winter work gloves at Home Depot or Lowes for about $7. They're not good on really cold days, but when it's raining, it's not that cold.