• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keeping your Christmas Tree Alive Longer

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Did you get yours yet? Any secrets for keeping them alive longer? I have a high ceiling in my living room and we normally get an ~10' tree, but it usually goes about 3 weeks and then is completely burned out. When I ultimately pull it out of the house, it normally weights about 2 pounds and is completely dried out :lol:

I've tried the additives to the water and fresh-cutting the trunk, and I make sure the water is always there, but it always seems to just dry out really fast.

I was considering getting my tree today as I will be away next weekend, but we usually keep it up until about 4 - 5 days after new years, which is > a month from now.

Sky

I don't have the answer....but I have an idea. We now use a HUGE tree stand which hold a ton more water than the old one.

Still....and here's the challenge...the water gets sucked below the bottom of the fresh cut on the first night. I "think" that's the trick.....keeping the water above the cut.

Once the bottom is out of the water, the (can't recall the chemistry term for water climbing up small pipettes) is done. So if you can baby sit that tree.....maybe you win the battle.

Heh....that, and keeping the cats from drinking the water. :>

speden

I don't have the answer....but I have an idea. We now use a HUGE tree stand which hold a ton more water than the old one.

Still....and here's the challenge...the water gets sucked below the bottom of the fresh cut on the first night. I "think" that's the trick.....keeping the water above the cut.

Once the bottom is out of the water, the (can't recall the chemistry term for water climbing up small pipettes) is done. So if you can baby sit that tree.....maybe you win the battle.

Heh....that, and keeping the cats from drinking the water. :>

Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong. Letting the water get below the fresh cut on the first night. I've noticed that the tree seems to stop absorbing water after the first week or so and then dries out fast. I'll try to babysit it that first night this year and see if it makes a difference.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That's what I read online, it said that if you let the water get below the cut it essentially "scabs over" and then it won't absorb anymore. I find my tree normally only drinks water for 2 - 3 days and then I never need to fill it again... prob b/c it's completely dead haha

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong. Letting the water get below the fresh cut on the first night. I've noticed that the tree seems to stop absorbing water after the first week or so and then dries out fast. I'll try to babysit it that first night this year and see if it makes a difference.

Exactly.

bigbog

HAHA..PICS Nick!...trying to grow the SuperTree...;-) I usually just add water, then take it into the woods afterwards...to decay into maybe something useful....$.01

legalskier

We like to cut the tree down in the field ourselves, so it's as fresh as can be. When I get it home I freshcut it, place it in a large bucket of water, and keep it in the garage for a couple of days so it can start to acclimate to warmer indoor temps. Once inside we place it away from any heat source. Obviously, a tree you cut yourself doesn't need as much water as one you buy on a lot which has been drying out for weeks during shipment/display. Our favorite variety is White Fir, commonly called "Concolor." It holds up very well, looks terrific, and has an appealing citrus scent. Unfortunately they're tough to find.

concolor.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I usually like to cut myself but my new house has high ceilings in the living room and I get a 10' tree. I can't find anywhere good nearby for 10' trees that I can self - cut :( they are either too thinned out

Geoff

I just wrapped a 50-bulb strand of GE Indoor/Outdoor LED bulbs around an arborvitae and a sky pencil holly in front of my cottage. As the trees grow, I'll just buy more strings of LED bulbs. It's about 3 watts per strand. I just leave them plugged in 24x7.

6462594359_febd2818b2_b.jpg

C-Rex

I tried my boss' trick last year and it worked great.

He fresh cuts the trunk and gets it into the stand with plenty of water. Mix a couple cups of sugar into the first day or two's water. The idea being that the first day is when the cut is freshest and the tree will absorb the most water. The sugarwater will give the tree some fuel stores for later when it can't get enough nutrients through the cut.

Our tree stayed nice for over a month, even with forced air heating drying the place out.

o3jeff

Where? There is no way I'm pulling the tree down. I can't just make a diagonal cut, can I?

Maybe try drilling some holes in the trunk see if it takes some water? Btw I know nothing about trees, I put up an artificial 3' pre decorated/lighted tree.