• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington has started blowing

songfta

Website
www.randomduck.com
Blowing on SS as well.

That's good, as SS and Highline are the trails being used for the World Cup events, and I'd imagine they'll try to get Ovation on board as well (for training courses). The resort has a lot invested in these races (higher risk than opening the North Ridge area for early season crowd surfing/pinball), so I'm glad the snowmaking crew is getting things started (and on SS, I'm fairly positive they're simply testing the guns - they had to do some reconfiguration of things to meet FIS safety standards).

jimmywilson69

It has been stated that the SS pod will have its own air supply so that their usual trail rollout can commence independently and without taking resources from the North Ridge Area.

cdskier

I think they'll open up Saturday PM (passholders only, of course) then shutdown for the week. It's 10am and the guns are still going with two more suitable nights of snowmaking that are forecasted to be cooler than last. If they get 8 hours snowmaking tonight and another 8 hours on Friday that's 20ish hours of snowmaking.

There's a couple problems... 1) Even if they get those windows, there are also still substantial windows of warmth (and sun) that will melt a lot of what they make. 2) I'm not seeing much of a window Friday night with the current forecast. Even at the summit the forecasts I'm seeing show it barely making it down to the low 30s.

I'd say there's little chance they can open this weekend unless the forecast changes. And maybe they started making snow with the hope that it would possibly change and be colder than currently forecasted.

benski

I really don't think this is a test. All the guns on North Ridge are staged, and Killington hasn't done an early-season snowmaking PR stunt in ever, that I can recall.

It really does not cost them anything to set up the guns a week before they are used. Why would you wait till it gets cold out to do the prep work when it can by done in warmer weather.

steamboat1

It has been stated that the SS pod will have its own air supply so that their usual trail rollout can commence independently and without taking resources from the North Ridge Area.
It was posted on K-Zone that they have 13 rented compressors at Snowshed & 10 at Bear. I'm pretty sure last year they only had 8 rented compressors at each location.

Tin

My question is are they going to let people ski SS or will be closed most of the fall for prep reasons?

I'm hoping they go into the Canyon and get Lower East Fall and Cascade/Downdraft/Double Dipper going early, they have the water and compressors to do it.

dlague

I am not sure - seems more like a test to me to make sure all systems are go. They only fired up guns around the top Terminal on North Ridge. In any case, according to forecast for the summit, the temps are not really going to allow much opportunity for snowmaking. Friday will be marginal at best and they will probably make snow, but I do not see them opening this weekend. Starting October 21st there will be a sustained window of cooler temps that will be their best shot. My prediction Opening Day - October 29th. Unless they do a soft opening mid-week. However, weather forecast may change.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Killington-Peak/forecasts/1291

There's a couple problems... 1) Even if they get those windows, there are also still substantial windows of warmth (and sun) that will melt a lot of what they make. 2) I'm not seeing much of a window Friday night with the current forecast. Even at the summit the forecasts I'm seeing show it barely making it down to the low 30s.

Exactly!

machski

That's good, as SS and Highline are the trails being used for the World Cup events, and I'd imagine they'll try to get Ovation on board as well (for training courses). The resort has a lot invested in these races (higher risk than opening the North Ridge area for early season crowd surfing/pinball), so I'm glad the snowmaking crew is getting things started (and on SS, I'm fairly positive they're simply testing the guns - they had to do some reconfiguration of things to meet FIS safety standards).

Highline? Not what has been stated. SS and Skyelark is what I have seen for WC, keeps everything on Skye Peak. Highline has horrible early season exposure (sun angle) to hold up through any warm-up. And middle ovation too flat for WC and lower is far too steep for early season.

machski

Look, we're all chomping at the bit to ski, but going to have to wait. Granted the North Ridge Cam doesn't show upper Rime but Upper reason did have some blow over this morning. But it's all gone now.

Attachments

• 1476118066021.jpg
    1476118066021.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 141

dlague

Look, we're all chomping at the bit to ski, but going to have to wait. Granted the North Ridge Cam doesn't show upper Rime but Upper reason did have some blow over this morning. But it's all gone now.

It as a test! Just like on SS.

steamboat1

It as a test! Just like on SS.
I'm not disagreeing it's only a test but they had already fired up a gun on Supe Fri.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 14612401_10154145719294401_3219032897409052458_o.jpg
    14612401_10154145719294401_3219032897409052458_o.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 352

ALLSKIING

Staff member
It's definitely not a test. Guns were on for over 6 hrs. Who knows the plan ornhiw long the snow will last but it's not the typical blow out the mice test.

steamboat1

It's definitely not a test. Guns were on for over 6 hrs. Who knows the plan ornhiw long the snow will last but it's not the typical blow out the mice test.
I'm not seeing it. With the exception of possibly tonight night temps are forecasted to be above freezing all week. Fri. night temps will possibly drop below freezing again followed by even warmer weather next week than this week. At least that's the forecast I'm seeing.

mriceyman

Def just to say that the guns were on. That minimal snowmaking will have 0 effect on opening day

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

IMG_20161010_200040.jpg

6 hours is quite a test just to say the guns were on. I just have no idea. If it's just a gamble that has a side effect of being good hype, that's quite the gamble.

Last edited: