• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington 🎿🏂🏂🎿🎿🏂🏂🎿😀

Newpylong

The argument that Skyeship 1 doesn't go anywhere is stupid. Really good beginner and low intermediate terrain down there (til the bottom switchbacks). Skyeship has tons of parking Killington desperately needs. Access to homes. And it's only open Christmas-April 1 which is when the mountain needs the additional parking/lift/trail capacity. The lines down there on a weekend are ridiculously long because of the demand.
If it doesn't effect someone it's not needed... Thankfully ski area planners don't think the same way.

KustyTheKlown

Usefulness of skyeship notwithstanding, it’s a gorgeous day at killington. Bear and south ridge and needles skied great from open. Rams head and snowdon skiing pretty great now. Will pop over to k peak and superstar pods while making my way back to the car. Shame I gotta hit the road relatively early. Everything will be game on by like 2 or 3. Hoping OL is in soft shape for my last run around 1.

Royal flush is cooked lol:B6826ABE-378F-4125-B21D-D0C3C8F43152.jpeg

KustyTheKlown

Wtf does this gold star indicate?

Attachments

• 172FDF7F-0282-4664-894A-93919C2E7B24.png
    172FDF7F-0282-4664-894A-93919C2E7B24.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 23

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Early season pop-up park... there's one on Reason as well. Only the printed trail map has the legend.
I was confused too when I first saw it.

Zand

Usefulness of skyeship notwithstanding, it’s a gorgeous day at killington. Bear and south ridge and needles skied great from open. Rams head and snowdon skiing pretty great now. Will pop over to k peak and superstar pods while making my way back to the car. Shame I gotta hit the road relatively early. Everything will be game on by like 2 or 3. Hoping OL is in soft shape for my last run around 1.

Royal flush is cooked lol:View attachment 58008
Enough snow in the north facing woods to still be skiable Thursday? Hoping to finally get a good day in before the heat wave.

KustyTheKlown

Enough snow in the north facing woods to still be skiable Thursday? Hoping to finally get a good day in before the heat wave.

hard to say with the torch incoming this week but as of yesterday, i'd say yes. i didn't tiptoe into any northfacing woods because it was pretty frozen solid off piste in the AM. i skied by julio area and it looked full on, but it prob gets sketchy at the steep bottom. nowhere/somewhere looked fine. patsy's looked fine but i skied past it to vagabond to ski into the sun. i only skied tinman and the throne for woods yesterday. southfacing stuff.

skef

F04D7F4D-5900-4E9D-B073-14DA0FB91B1A.jpeg39710412-BD8E-43D0-89F8-EF51596899F1.jpeg361B4DDF-C39F-462C-ABB0-2215E5E88E95.jpeg9460D994-52A1-4EC8-AD33-6EBE9D9729D7.jpegTrail count dropping fast. Something like: 115 Friday, 105 Saturday, 92 Sunday. Then to 91 before 8:30 — my first ride up the Gondi a woman told me, “East Fall lost a lot of snow since yesterday” and by the time I got there, patrol was roping it off.

But today was solid spring skiing. Soft bumps, some sketchy stuff, big sun.

drjeff

Being up in VT all last week, not only was it warm during the day, but it was warm at night as well. Been over a week now since the snow pack actually froze back up for a few hours....

KustyTheKlown

real fuckin bummed about the weather this weekend

got plans next Sunday so maybe I'll get 49 on sat may 6 and 50 on ?

sugarloaf is tempting this weekend they have so much terrain open but the weather looks like dogshit.

drjeff

sugarloaf is tempting this weekend they have so much terrain open but the weather looks like dogshit.
Yup.

And if the long range models are remotely correct, starting on Saturday we're in for a 10 day or so stretch of mainly unsettled weather, with possibly even a Nor'easter like system and some "cold" air for the time of year along around that 1st weekend of May

LoafSkier19

Yep. Had plans to ski all remaining 4 days at Sugarloaf and get to 50 myself. Probably just going tomorrow after work for the afternoon for potentially my last lift served day there.

chuckstah

I was there today as well, 11-4:15 or so. I thought the SS bumps were near perfect last couple hours with the bright sun. Lower Skylarke is pretty much cooked. Mid O is hanging on nicely if you don't mind the walk out. It was fun watching Hannah Soar and her crew absolutely killing it on Supe. Screenshot_20230427-195727.pngIMG_20230427_170955042.jpgScreenshot_20230427-195657.pngGreat day.

BodeMiller1

Killington, Meow.

Killington search and rescue teams split​

By Katy Savage
Killington may soon have the service of two search and rescue teams.
Around 12 former members of Killington Search and Rescue (KSAR), who quit or were fired over a dispute with the new fire chief in March have joined Rescue, Inc. out of Brattleboro and expect to be in service to the Killington area again next week. Meanwhile, the town has a new 12-member KSAR group that will start operating in June, according to Town Manager Chet Hagenbarth.
It’s unclear how the two entities will operate together or in parallel.
“This is all new to me,” said Drew Clymer, the search and rescue coordinator for the state Department of Public Safety. He said Rescue, Inc. is one of his trusted go-to resources, but would work with any team that was accredited and vetted.
“We all work together to achieve a common goal — to find someone lost in the backcountry. Period,” said Clymer, while calling the Killington leaders passionate and acknowledging that the local dispute is politically charged.
Killington has been without a local search and rescue team since new Killington Fire Chief Chris LaHart abruptly deactivated KSAR in March, citing that KSAR members weren’t properly trained and lacked proper equipment. Seventeen current and former members of KSAR signed a letter shortly thereafter, saying they had no confidence in the chief and outlining a toxic work environment. The issue culminated in an explosive Select Board meeting in which the town sided with the chief denying KSARs separation from his leadership.
“This is just people who don’t want to follow any rules,” Hagenbarth said of the former KSAR group.
LaHart, who started his role in January, is the town’s first paid fire chief. In addition to overseeing the volunteer fire department, he was hired to oversee KSAR and EMS, but disputes started early with KSAR, a volunteer organization that responds to about 15-20 calls a year to find lost skiers and injured hikers and rock climbers in the area. Former KSAR members claimed the chief was difficult to work under and made women particularly feel uncomfortable and/or left out, while LaHart claimed KSAR members wouldn’t cooperate with simple rules and paperwork.
KSAR’s deactivation came as a shock to many.
“I’ve never seen a team deactivated like that,” said Clymer.
The organization’s departure put a strain on local resources. A handful of rescues in Killington were taken care of by ski patrol, which put in “effort out of the operating requirement,” Clymer said.
Dave Coppock, one of the former leaders of KSAR, said Rescue Inc. reached out to him after learning about the problems in Killington.
Rescue, Inc., which formed 1966, was among the first EMS agencies in the nation to offer paramedic care and now services 13 towns in southern Vermont and two in southern New Hampshire.
“We would still be providing the service we did before,” said Coppock. “The difference is this time the town of Killington would have to pay nothing for our gear and training.”
Rescue, Inc. allows technical teams to decide which areas of rescue they want to be involved in. Some team members could be trained to do swift water rescue, for example — a service that hasn’t been offered locally.
“We don’t have a consensus yet among team members on how much we want to do,” Coppock said. “Rescue, Inc. will train us to the proper standard to do what we want.”
They will also operate under Rescue, Inc.’s insurance.
“Basically it’s not going to cost the town anything,” said Murray McGrath, formerly a long-time member of KSAR.