• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ˜€

KustyTheKlown

Attention k mart shoppers - 2โ€ of unreported blower pow on all aisles

Enough for me to ski trees and steeps. Awesome. Unexpected

Attachments

• A5EDEA1E-CE69-4E67-A95A-2EEF1C2CABAE.jpeg
    A5EDEA1E-CE69-4E67-A95A-2EEF1C2CABAE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 17145B0E-01C5-4AAC-87C0-69E2CD47E545.jpeg
    17145B0E-01C5-4AAC-87C0-69E2CD47E545.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 43
  • 742B2124-7EB5-478F-901D-C19D2089124D.jpeg
    742B2124-7EB5-478F-901D-C19D2089124D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 43

gladerider

conditions in general yesterday was trash. hard, frozen, huge golf balls everywhere. the wind was far stronger than i expected. skiied till 1230 and left after that. there is plenty of snow so a little warmer temp should soften up and should be fine. but that was not yesterday.

KustyTheKlown

conditions in general yesterday was trash. hard, frozen, huge golf balls everywhere. the wind was far stronger than i expected. skiied till 1230 and left after that. there is plenty of snow so a little warmer temp should soften up and should be fine. but that was not yesterday.
lol this is such a gross over exaggeration. I skied trees all day yesterday with 2โ€ of soft edgeable snow on top of a hard layer. Sounds like you skied a bunch of frozen groomers instead. Cool.

flakeydog

Wasn't at Kmart this weekend but there was some surprisingly good skiing to be had this weekend if you explored the mountain a bit, especially some of the ungroomed. I was pleasantly surprised both days.

gladerider

lol this is such a gross over exaggeration. I skied trees all day yesterday with 2โ€ of soft edgeable snow on top of a hard layer. Sounds like you skied a bunch of frozen groomers instead. Cool.

exactly! i think the snow in the trees were protected? if i didn't have my daughter, i would have tested the trees but there was no one on the canyon quad lift where i typically do my tree skiing. so didn't bother. glad you had fun in there.

gladerider

Wasn't at Kmart this weekend but there was some surprisingly good skiing to be had this weekend if you explored the mountain a bit, especially some of the ungroomed. I was pleasantly surprised both days.

was at Stratton on Saturday and it was fantastic. should have stayed there on Sunday. oh well.

RH29

So with the K1 lodge finished and the new base village on the horizon, what are Killington's priorities for this summer? With skier visits on the rise and the lifts there in the state that they are, it'd be really disappointing if they didn't get anything done. I'll note that these observations come from someone who, as of late, only skis at Kmart for a couple days a year.

Snowshed Quad gets worse every year. Everytime I go down there something is wrong. Last year, a bunch of chairs had jammed in the terminal, closing the lift for several hours. This year, it had a mechanical issue and stopped for a half hour with riders on it. It gets huge lines, stops constantly, and more importantly, it'll be a main access point from the village. If Killington can't afford to put in a high speed six yet , they could consider putting in a fixed grip triple/quad to replace the Snowshed Double and serve as a reliable, higher-capacity backup for busy days and whenever the quad is having issues (a lot).

Skyeship needs work, similar to what the K1 got a few years ago. It's prone to 10-20 minute stops, has a lot of cabin damage, and runs slower than it used to. A full replacement isn't necessary, but new cabins and some TLC to the terminals would go a long way.

machski

So with the K1 lodge finished and the new base village on the horizon, what are Killington's priorities for this summer? With skier visits on the rise and the lifts there in the state that they are, it'd be really disappointing if they didn't get anything done. I'll note that these observations come from someone who, as of late, only skis at Kmart for a couple days a year.

Snowshed Quad gets worse every year. Everytime I go down there something is wrong. Last year, a bunch of chairs had jammed in the terminal, closing the lift for several hours. This year, it had a mechanical issue and stopped for a half hour with riders on it. It gets huge lines, stops constantly, and more importantly, it'll be a main access point from the village. If Killington can't afford to put in a high speed six yet , they could consider putting in a fixed grip triple/quad to replace the Snowshed Double and serve as a reliable, higher-capacity backup for busy days and whenever the quad is having issues (a lot).

Skyeship needs work, similar to what the K1 got a few years ago. It's prone to 10-20 minute stops, has a lot of cabin damage, and runs slower than it used to. A full replacement isn't necessary, but new cabins and some TLC to the terminals would go a long way.
I don't know, Skyeship is considerably older than K1. An overhaul like K1 might not be worth it.

boston_e

On the heels of the K1 lodge behind schedule and over budget, I would not expect a whole lot this year but who knows?

cdskier

I don't know, Skyeship is considerably older than K1. An overhaul like K1 might not be worth it.

Is it really considerably older? I thought they were built only a few years apart.

skiur

Killington needs to put a lot of money into snowmaking this year. I know it isn't exciting but that system is in bad shape and it showed this year.

RH29

Is it really considerably older? I thought they were built only a few years apart.
3 years apart (94/97) but K1 has about twice as many hours because it runs almost year round, Skyeship runs 3.5 months a year.
Killington needs to put a lot of money into snowmaking this year. I know it isn't exciting but that system is in bad shape and it showed this year.
a lot of pipe replacements are needed, especially Bear-side and down near Route 4. They've had at least four or five blowouts this year, and let's not forgot the bear mountain flood that happened last year.
On the heels of the K1 lodge behind schedule and over budget, I would not expect a whole lot this year but who knows?
hence the snowshed suggestion...replacing the lift there would be a very cheap project, probably under $2m.

cdskier

3 years apart (94/97) but K1 has about twice as many hours because it runs almost year round, Skyeship runs 3.5 months a year.

That's a good point too. By that logic, even though Skyeship is older from a purely age perspective, it is actually decently younger from an hours of use perspective.

RH29

That's a good point too. By that logic, even though Skyeship is older from a purely age perspective, it is actually decently younger from an hours of use perspective.
For whatever reason it's just in very rough conditions, especially the cabins. And such a long, important lift really needs to be at full speed like it always was.