• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

King of Spring

skiMEbike

It's the annual debate who will be King of Spring this year...(which for me means: who will be the last spin their lifts). I am hoping it is the Loaf, however I have a feeling it will be K. Anyways some good news from the Loaf's head of operations...See below memo to employees today:

Team,

Following last week’s unseasonably warm temperatures and what has been, to say the least, a challenging weather pattern throughout the winter, I know that there are many questions circulating regarding our operating plans from here on out.

To that effect, I would ask for your help in communicating the following with our guests:

1. We have zero intention of calling it quits any time soon. We fully intend to be skiing deep into the spring, and we are doing everything possible to ensure that happens, including the resumption of snowmaking operations this weekend. Snowmakers will be back at work beginning Friday on Hayburner, Tote Road, and Candyside, to bolster base depths and help ensure that we will continue skiing through Reggae Fest and beyond.

2. We are in better shape than many other mountains. Our northern location and elevation have helped us tremendously, and though our snow pack is not what we’re used to seeing at this time of year, it is substantially greater than many other New England resorts.

3. Sugarloaf is the King of Spring, and we will do whatever it takes to ensure a great spring skiing experience for our guests. We embrace and celebrate spring skiing here, and the best of the spring season is still ahead of us with events like Pond Skimming and Reggae Fest.

4. We have not set a closing date yet. Like always, we will continue skiing through Reggae Fest, and if conditions allow, we’ll shoot for May.

You have all worked incredibly hard through what has been one of the most challenging winters in memory, and your efforts have been evident in our Guest Satisfaction scores, which, despite the weather, remain the highest in the entire company.

Thank you all for your efforts, and for helping to communicate this message to our guests. Let’s have some fun over the next month and a half, and finish strong.

All the best,

Karl

Karl Strand
Sugarloafer since 1987
General Manager

KustyTheKlown

Killington is done blowing snow. I'd think Sunday River may win out, but maybe loaf. Killington ain't making may this year (hope I'm wrong, don't think I am)

Jully

Fantastic sentiment, but sadly with the exception of this weekend, there's not much they can do.

drjeff

Killington - no question about it!

Doesn't matter that they're not blowing snow this weekend, or a couple weekends ago. There's so much more snow on Superstar than on any other trail in New England, and another night or 2 of snowmaking by anyone else won't come close to closing that base differential

xwhaler

Lynx is quite deep at Wildcat. Catapult and Polecat not as much. Not saying they will be last to close just that they will certainly provide a very nice spring option. Some pics from today 3/17
Guns on Polecat starting tomorrow night

Attachments

• 1458252678101.jpg
    1458252678101.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 1458252695133.jpg
    1458252695133.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 256

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Killington ain't making may this year (hope I'm wrong, don't think I am)

Really? It's not *as* big of a pile as last year, but they will make it WELL into May. I got flack for saying they'll make it to Memorial Day in another thread, but I still believe that. For those who don't recall, last May was an absolute scorcher. Superstar would've easily made it into June had we had seasonable weather.

King of Spring will 100% positively be Killington this year. Too much snow on Superstar for them too not be. The Loaf, Wildcat, and SR could all pick one trail this weekend and absolutely pummel it for 96 hours and they still wouldn't have the amount of snow that is on Superstar right now.

skiberg

Cannon still making snow also. They will try to hang around for at least three more weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Angus

Killington with SuperStar will be last to close. Sugarloaf will offer the most terrain until they decide or are forced (base area melts out) to close. Depends on definition. Have always felt Wildcat could be last to close with a 2,000' vertical run every year and their 2,000' base if they wanted to make the snowmaking commitment to Lynx.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm going with the outlier this year. Wildcat, since they are blowing snow tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

If they make it to the 17th I'd be pumped. Even with the snowmaking, they won't have enough to make it to last mountain standing.

If their strategy was last to close in New England, I would think blowing a glacier on the Bobcat trail would make most sense. Lynx is just too long to be realistic. Reality is they'll never get the business that a place like Killington does. That distance from major population centers is what keeps the crowds down peak season. Love that

They seem to want the title of last to close in NH every year with that date falling around May 1st. Works for me

steamboat1

Don't forget that once the headwall on Superstar melts out & hiking down to the snow is required Killington will close. Doesn't matter how much snow is left on the rest of the trail, it's just to dangerous to require the general public to hike down. It also opens up a serious chance of law suits if someone gets hurt while climbing down. The pile on top isn't as deep this year & will likely melt out early. If you think they'll use the snow that was piled up behind the fence at the top of Superstar I'm sad to inform you that has already been used to replenish snow on the top of Gateway & the traverse leading over to the top of the Skye Peak chair. Will they be the last to close? Good chance they will but I wouldn't bet on it.

eatskisleep

Honestly, Wildcat should blow snow top to bottom on Gondi-line and lift-line. That would actually be worth traveling for. Lynx is a great cruiser trail, but once things heat up (re: spring skiing in 60s-70s) you want steep bumps. Cruisers are boring in warm weather and soft bumps rule. Not to mention, 90% of people who ski in the spring, are dedicated skiers, and usually of a higher ability level. Lynx is a good backup option, but I wouldn't pay $$ to ski it, like I would to ski Superstar at Killington.

Gondi Line @ The Cat > Superstar @ K-Mart... if Wildcat would actually ever make snow on it and blow it deep.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Honestly, Wildcat should blow snow top to bottom on Gondi-line and lift-line. That would actually be worth traveling for. Lynx is a great cruiser trail, but once things heat up (re: spring skiing in 60s-70s) you want steep bumps. Cruisers are boring in warm weather and soft bumps rule. Not to mention, 90% of people who ski in the spring, are dedicated skiers, and usually of a higher ability level. Lynx is a good backup option, but I wouldn't pay $$ to ski it, like I would to ski Superstar at Killington.

Gondi Line @ The Cat > Superstar @ K-Mart... if Wildcat would actually ever make snow on it and blow it deep.

They made snow on the middle section a few years ago and fairly deep. Had a mid April day up there with several AZ members which was great. First time I got to try Mishka's skis.

The reason I suggested Bobcat is the shorter length and it does have the same pitch if not even a bit steeper than Middle Superstar. In the spring it could be a fine lower angle bump trail. Cheap lift to run as well. Only thing that sucks about it is it's a bit of a walk to get there from the lodge. My thoughts behind Bobcat are pure economics. Running a 2100 vertical chair and covering that length of trail just seems like a lot to ask for a late spring trail.

yeggous

They made snow on the middle section a few years ago and fairly deep. Had a mid April day up there with several AZ members which was great. First time I got to try Mishka's skis.

The reason I suggested Bobcat is the shorter length and it does have the same pitch if not even a bit steeper than Middle Superstar. In the spring it could be a fine lower angle bump trail. Cheap lift to run as well. Only thing that sucks about it is it's a bit of a walk to get there from the lodge. My thoughts behind Bobcat are pure economics. Running a 2100 vertical chair and covering that length of trail just seems like a lot to ask for a late spring trail.

Yes, Lynx is a long trail. Several times longer than Superstar. Not practical economically.

SkiFanE

I don't care if it's SR or Killington - between them both I should have an 8 month season this year, for the season everyone said sucked :p