• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's play SimSki Area!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Things have been quiet in here as of late, so here goes for those who still have skiing on the brain. :idea: So, what kind of mountain would you build if you could (i.e. specific lifts or terrain features)?

Mine would be on a 4000 foot mountain with about 2300 vertical. I would have mainly narrow, New England trails winding down the mountain with some sweet glades in between them. I'd also have another separate area similar to Stateside at Jay with some steeper and wider terrain. Like Burke, there would be a separate beginner area at the bottom and as inspired by Pat's, a separate terrain park and lift for the jibbers. The main focus, though, would be windy NE trails with natural snow and snowmaking. Lifts: maybe a HS quad, but 2 fixed triples, a POMA, surface lifts for the kids, and maybe a fixed quad.

Oy...that's a lot of money!

ChileMass

Trailboss -

Interesting thread! I like your ideas. I would add some additional winter/alpine activities to draw more people who enjoy other sports, like X-C skiing, racing facilities, alpine and freestyle jumps, mogul park, specific race trails, skating arena, winter climbing, etc. I think Lake Placid is the model to emulate.

Q - Let's make this wild theorizing a little more tangible - what currently unused mountain would you target for development, assuming you could get all the permits, licenses, real estate, etc? Equinox or Dorset in the Manchester VT area look good to me, but there's a lot of competition in the central VT region. Greylock was slated for development as a ski area years ago and got shot down, but that would also be a terrific location, too. How about some of the 4000 footers in the Presi area?

A reminder to all pursists that this is just random dreaming at work here....... :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks, Chilemass.

I just thought that it could be something fun. The more tangible rec. is a good idea.

My mountain would probably have more skiing terrain and amentities for skiing rather than the other junk at the bottom. Unfortunately, such a place would have a hard time existing now with current trends.

The cool thing is that we can get a sense of what people here value in their skiing/riding experience! Pretty Freudian, huh?

ChileMass

More ideas -

Snowfields like out west, and lots and lots of sunshine. Where in the East does the sun shine a lot in the winter? Certainly not on the east shore of Lake Champlain or in the Mt. Washington Valley. Maybe we could set the mountain on Cape Cod......

Mid-mountain restaurant/bar for hanging out on nice afternoons......

I

IndyJones

Tons and tons of terrain features. And then some super long trails, some of which are glades and some chutes. About 4,000 vertical feet.

Big Game

Dorset Peak...I've been scoping it out for a while (big ol' hill halfway between Machester and Rutland on 7)...think high elevation is 3850...well over 2000 of steep vert north facing slope (could probably get 2500, but that last 500 might no be worth it) ...one lift...no snowmaking...cut mostly glades and off limits to skiers (until Mad River decides to venture into the way back machine and step into 1983)...motto will be "if you don't like it, get the %#@& out."

Of course with Act 250 and anti-everything in them hills, and my limited target market, there is no way it could happen with a conventional business plan...don't think it would be too profitable. I more or less need to win powerball or marry really really rich.

That's why I like riding the Stratton Gondola...I can look to the northwest and see the peak that I dream someday will be mine.

ChileMass

Hey Big Game - welcome aboard -

Dorset is a great-looking hill for sure. The only problem is access from the North and West is really remote. That area over by the NY State line is out in the middle of nowhere. That said - I agree - Dorset has a lot of great terrain I 'd love to ski down someday.......and Manchester is alot of fun after hours.....

Big Game

Dorset Peak

My brother lives right around Dorset (Clarendon)...yepp...he says its tough to access. He's not even sure if there's a trail to hike up yonder. And there might be some sort of boron(?) mine there? (maybe I have the wrong hill). I really got to do a little recon this fall...see if it make for good back country after a dump. Anyone have more info?

Terry

simski area

Any great ski area needs to have night skiing for us poor souls who have to work during the day. Also, night skiing is just plain fun on nights that aren't to cold. :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good call--

I love nightskiing! Great times at my home town ski tow. One of my pre-reqs for this season, now that I am in Boston, was nightskiing and we settled on a Pat's. I know, I know, it is small, but has been good. They are adding another trail of nightskiing....which I am looking forward to. Nice nightskiing there as well.

Great to see nightskiing return to Cranmore.

Greg

Staff member
I would like to see more ski areas that offer numerous manmade bump runs like Loon has been doing. I would also like to see jumps that are built with the more timid (read: older) jumper in mind. I prefer jumps with a more gradual launch, perhaps 3 feet high, and with slightly sloped landings.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Actually, I would erect a rather tall mountain somewhere outside Boston so as to steer the crowds of people, and their cars, here rather than clogging up 93 or 95 north and the slopes of VT and NH.

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
Hmm...

Well, here's a list of what I'd like on my mountain:

-Above tree line skiing--nothing like just skiing anywhere on the mountain.
-Great bowls--see the above request.
-Glad skiing--I'm not really into this but many people are. Gotta keep everyone happy!
-Nice wide-open trails--sorry, I prefer the wider trails like out West.
-LOTS of veritcal--preferably 3,000 feet or more.
-Glacier skiing--too much to ask? Would love to be able to ski year round...
-Summit elevation of about 8,000 feet--seems to be a good height for a good mix of snow without altitude sickness--or at least less likely.
-Spectacular views---need I say more?
-Great summit lodge--need to have a place to hang out and take in those views!
-Fast lifts--easy to understand.
-Keep the beginners and advanced areas segregated--don't like to mix the two. Just causes trouble.
-Enough naturual snowfall--need enough in order to keep those bowls covered! Need the freshies!
-Keep enough ungroomed--let's not groom the whole mountain.
-Groom a path through the tough bowls--Just enough of a path so your friends who may not be able to handle the bowl can still get down and you can still ski with your friends. Whistler-Blackcomb is like this. I loved the idea.
-Good food lodge--Gotta have a lodge with good food. Keep it reasonably-priced but make it good.
-Good bar--well, after a hard day skiing you gotta have a brew...
-Ample close parking--don't want to make people walk forever or get on a shuttle if possible.
-Lift tickets under $45--keep the prices down.
-Longer ski days as days get longer--always hated to come off the slopes in February when it's still light outside! :)

Did I miss anything?

The Rickster

TeleGrrrl

Solon, Maine. Avatar: Mule Skinner, Saddleback, ME
Gotta have a telemark festival so I can meet up with other like minded folks.

I vote for lots of glades, soft managable bumps, and a couple of narrow winding trails--like Double Bitter at Sugarloaf. Lift assisted backcountry access would also be nice.

An on mountian tele ski shop would be a plus. And a bar that had 15 or so microbrews on tap, with decent hot wings, and an interesting bartender would really make my day :beer:

And doggie daycare. So Moxie can be entertained while I'm out having fun :D

Nadine

thetrailboss

Staff member
Parks do have the great benefit of drawing people that want to jump, ride rails, get air, do tricks, and all that stuff away from the other trails leaving me and other non-park types with plenty of room and snow! They also attract a population to the mountains that might not otherwise come.