• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's talk Kryptons

jack97

The problem I had on my Nordicas is they were a bit more of an upright stance, or at least they didn't flex forward enough to stay stacked (or at least as close to stacked as this poser can get). It seemed like my lower leg was always perpendicular at 90 degrees to the ski. At least with the Kryptons, I can't blame the boot. :lol: As far as edging goes, I've never felt the boot was a hindrance there. Very quick and predictable side to side. Don't mistake forward flex as being an overall soft boot. It's very stiff laterally where you need it. Also, with the soft tongue you can really load the boot and get a nice pop out of the turn.

imo, having the boots more upright (meaning little forward) and stiff (laterally and fore/aft) is meant for the carve centric crowd. Nothing wrong with that but it does little good in the bumps.

One of the golden nuggets I got from having a lesson with Evan at Whaleback were the reasons why you need the forward flex and the three piece design (Krypton and full tilt). He was a Lange guy when he competing and he thinks the Kryptons are awesome.

Philpug

Maybe a bit, but I'd still like to be able to do that. Racing influence perhaps.

In my skiing? very little.

The Krypton is great for a low volume foot. The positioning of the hinge is lower than a traditional overlap and truer to the positioning of the skiers ankle. There is much I have written about the Krypton over the past 5 or so years. I liken the Krypton to Apple, The Apple does 90% of the things that a traditional ski boot does, but it is the other 10% that makes the Krypton different, kinda like a Mac to a PC.

Trekchick

Phil, whether you're rocking the bumps, taking the jumps or carving a groomer like its a halloween jack-o-lantern, you seem to be in harmony with the Kryptons!

I have been playing with the softer and stiffer version of the women's kryptons, (storm/kryzma).
I've been extremely happy with the Kryzma, even with its taller cuff height and stiffer set up, for most everything. The trouble is that I feel like I can fold the Storm in half now that I've been skiing in the Kryzma so much.

Still, my deep love for both models is mutually exclusive.

Excuse me while I go fondle my Kryptons for a minute. :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
mine were last years model and looks to be the same as yours, the V seems less pronounced when in the shell

boot.jpg

So, I noticed while skiing with mondeo that I had reverted back to this 'backwards' overlap set up. It doesn't surprise me as after Phil pointed out my error, I switched them to the 'correct' way of overlap opposite of the picture above, but it seemed that every time I took the boots off and the overlaps would 'spring' back together, they would do so as pictured above.

I have no idea how long I had been skiing them 'backwards', but I switched them back skiing at Tenney last week and they just didn't feel right, downright uncomfortable on my shins. This was even more the case today at Wildcat skiing more demanding terrain.

I said f it and switched them back my way after two runs and it's night in day in terms of comfort and they perform exactly the same. I've been accused of having a 'backwards' way of thinking in other aspects of life :lol: , so I'm thinking why not be different with my Kryptons.

Honestly, I really don't think it matters which way you have the line up overlapped; it's what's most comfortable on your leg that matters.

coreybyrnes

Website
www.coreybyrnes.com
question on sizing... i wear a 44 (10.5) size shoe and have a slightly wider foot... i'm seeing that i'd fit into a 28.5 kyrpton, but in checking out a particular ebay auction this dude is saying he's a size 13 and fit into a 28.5 boot... was he treating this boot like a climbing shoe (toes curled)? or would i fit into the boot? i'm worried about my wide foot though... i sold a pair of full tilt bumble bee pros cause my feet felt like they were in a vice all day...

mondeo

question on sizing... i wear a 44 (10.5) size shoe and have a slightly wider foot... i'm seeing that i'd fit into a 28.5 kyrpton, but in checking out a particular ebay auction this dude is saying he's a size 13 and fit into a 28.5 boot... was he treating this boot like a climbing shoe (toes curled)? or would i fit into the boot? i'm worried about my wide foot though... i sold a pair of full tilt bumble bee pros cause my feet felt like they were in a vice all day...
I'm in a 28, probably should have a 28.5 liner (shell size is the same.) Adidas I'm a size 12, dress shoes size 11. If I remember correctly, the forefoot on the Krypton is slightly wider than the Full Tilt. With my thicker socks, they're basically climbing shoes, but after my toes go numb it doesn't bother me; thin socks they're perfect.

I think the answer to your question is a decent bootfitter. There's a decent amount of variability between shoe sizes based on manufacturer of both the shoes and the boots.

coreybyrnes

Website
www.coreybyrnes.com
I'm in a 28, probably should have a 28.5 liner (shell size is the same.) Adidas I'm a size 12, dress shoes size 11. If I remember correctly, the forefoot on the Krypton is slightly wider than the Full Tilt. With my thicker socks, they're basically climbing shoes, but after my toes go numb it doesn't bother me; thin socks they're perfect.

I think the answer to your question is a decent bootfitter. There's a decent amount of variability between shoe sizes based on manufacturer of both the shoes and the boots.

thanks for the info... i'm gonna try to stop by my shop and try on some kryptons... the problem i find is that standing around for 10-20mins in my salomons or full tilts i'm fine... after a full day in the tilts my feet were in agonizing pain and after a full day in the sollys i have all these strange pressure points... i wear super thin socks and never have bunching so i dunno...

Greg

Staff member

Like mondeo, I'm a street shoe 12 (11.5 on the left) and I fit into a 28.0. Right foot is snug, but it loosens up as the liner warms. Personally, I think a 28.5 Krypton shell would be way too big for you if you wear a 10.5 street shoe, but consult a boot fitter to be sure.

MR. evil

I'm in a 28, probably should have a 28.5 liner (shell size is the same.) Adidas I'm a size 12, dress shoes size 11. If I remember correctly, the forefoot on the Krypton is slightly wider than the Full Tilt. .

Having just tried on the Krypton's and Full Tilts at the same time I would disagree. I found that the Full Tilts to be wider than the Kryton's. If I remember correctly (Peter can chime in here) I was actually trying on Full Tilt boot onsize smaller than the Krypton and still found the FT wider.

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
Like mondeo, I'm a street shoe 12 (11.5 on the left) and I fit into a 28.0. Right foot is snug, but it loosens up as the liner warms. Personally, I think a 28.5 Krypton shell would be way too big for you if you wear a 10.5 street shoe, but consult a boot fitter to be sure.

Do you still feel any shin bang after a day or two of bumping?