• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's talk Kryptons

bvibert

Staff member
Like mondeo, I'm a street shoe 12 (11.5 on the left) and I fit into a 28.0. Right foot is snug, but it loosens up as the liner warms. Personally, I think a 28.5 Krypton shell would be way too big for you if you wear a 10.5 street shoe, but consult a boot fitter to be sure.

+2
Same deal hear, size 12 street shoe and I wear a 28.5. I have a really wide foot so my shells required some stretching and grinding. Keep in mind that going up in size doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get a wider boot. And, no, my toes are not curled in my boots. I tried on some Full Tilts (not the Bumble Bees, not sure which model) when I first tried on my Krypton Cross's and found them to seem slightly wider, but the difference was barely noticeable. I think we could have made either boot work equally well, but in the end I liked the buckling system on the Krypton's better.

Remember that you can always make more room (to a point), but it's harder to fill in voids if the boot is too big to begin with.

Greg

Staff member
Is there a particular benefit towards the 'correct' way? Inside in. I honestly can't see a difference in performance, but find it much more comfortable the way I have it set up.

Probably because you heat molded them the "wrong" way. I've inadvertently reversed mine and didn't know it until I took the boot off. The liner is supposed to wrap one way and will sorta bunch up at the bottom if you wrap it wrong. Just another good reason to pull the liner out each day, not only to let it dry out, but to be sure it's wrapped correctly. My liner usually "unwraps" when I pull my foot out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
hmmm, haven't seemed to have a bunching issue. Oh well, I'll go with what has been working unless someone tells me I'm risking serious damage to the liner skiing them they way I have them. It really seems six one way, a half dozen the other honestly.

Greg

Staff member
hmmm, haven't seemed to have a bunching issue. Oh well, I'll go with what has been working unless someone tells me I'm risking serious damage to the liner skiing them they way I have them. It really seems six one way, a half dozen the other honestly.

My liner, right way:

IMG_4832.JPG

My liner, wrong way:

IMG_4833.JPG

You can see how it doesn't lay flat. There is also a black seam that should be on the outside. You might also notice the black pads on the shin area that are positioned in certain spots. Now does all this really make that much of a difference? Probably not, but I just like to have things the right way. Less opportunity for me to blame equipment over my crappy technique. :lol: Again, if you had your liners set up "backwards", that would explain why they feel better that way. You could always rebake them if it bothers you that much.

deadheadskier

Staff member
liners.jpg

just for point of comparison, liner on right in picture is how I ski them, liner on left is the 'correct' way

suppose I could change them, but they ski just fine as is, so I'm thinking, why bother.

Greg

Staff member
liners.jpg

just for point of comparison, liner on right in picture is how I ski them, liner on left is the 'correct' way

suppose I could change them, but they ski just fine as is, so I'm thinking, why bother.

The liner on the right is the correct way you doofus..... :lol:

Greg

Staff member
not right foot liner, right in the picture where its inside out as opposed to inside in

I'm confused. The liner on the right, which I assume is your left foot, is correct. The other is not.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm confused. The liner on the right, which I assume is your left foot, is correct. The other is not.

liners.jpg

boot.jpg

we're both getting confused here :lol:

Top is just the liner, liner on the left in the picture would be my right foot, which Phil said is the correct way to have them.

Bottom is the liner in what is my right foot boot, which Phil said was wrong

I ski them how they are shown in the boot shell.

Greg

Staff member
liners.jpg

boot.jpg

we're both getting confused here :lol:

Top is just the liner, liner on the left in the picture would be my right foot, which Phil said is the correct way to have them.

Bottom is the liner in what is my right foot boot, which Phil said was wrong

I ski them how they are shown in the boot shell.

I think you have you left liner in the right boot and right liner in the left boot

+1

that's it! I was getting dizzy there for a minute. :lol: As a point of reference, this is my right foot liner:

deadheadskier

Staff member
You guys are probably right, but what's weird is that I took the boots straight from the box to eastcoastpowderhounds place where we molded them one at a time, taking them straight out of the boot. There was no room for mix up

liner pic again

liners.jpg

bottom to show the arch

arch.jpg

work perfect the way I have them

just goes to show how versatile the Krypton is. Not only can you reverse the overlap, but if you receive the boots with the liners reversed and mold them as such, they'll work just fine.

Holy freaking boot Vortex, but I dig em all the same :lol:

Perhaps I should change them, but I'm really inclined not too as they fit great just the way I have them.

mondeo

So it looks to me like DHS's liners look perfectly normal as formed, just wrap the other way. Going back into the thread to sort some of this stuff out, and came across this picture. Looks to me like the two Pros have the wrap one way, and the freestyle boot (Il Moro?) has it the other. Then I remembered that the liners come premolded to the boot shell. Maybe the right way is just whatever way they were molded? And based on that, they take on the right shape to fit whatever side they're on?

bvibert

Staff member
My head hurts... :eek:

DHS, it looks like you have the overlap correctly for your liners, that's all that matters.

coreybyrnes

Website
www.coreybyrnes.com
fwiw,
i have a 10.5 foot and i have 28.5 proteon 8s. my foot is on the wide side.

as you said, your comment was only a "for what it's worth", but the protons are a totally different shell than the kryptons, right? so a 28.5 in a proton might be a perfect fit for a 10.5 foot but a 28.5 in a krypton might be a totally different deal... am i correct on that?

do the rampages and pros have a different sizing to them? i'm getting word that a 10.5 length D/E width foot fits perfectly into a 28.5 rampage... does he just not know that his foot doesn't fit the boot or would his foot not fit into a 28.5 k-pro?

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I am not a Krypton expert, but I've been through boot sizing woes. It's entirely possible (and I'm not speaking for Gary, I'm talking in general) for a "bootfitter" (I'm using the term loosely here) to put a person in a boot that is 1-2 shell sizes too big based upon what that customer tells them they'll use the boot for. Someone who proclaims himself to be a recreational skier will usually end up in a larger shell, whereas someone who claims they want performance will have a closer fit. You have to be honest about what you want from your boots.

The other thing you're bringing up is that yes, different lines, and different styles of boots in the same line, will fit differently. Again, I am not intimately familiar with Kryptons as I don't have them, but you'll find that there will be variations in the toe box width, for example. Some "fitters" will put customers into a larger shell to make up for the toe box not being wide enough. Not always a great move, but it happens a lot.

My first pair of boots were at least 1 shell size too big. I was moved down from 26.0 Salomon Performa 4.0s (beginner cheapo boot) to 25.0 Nordica Olympia Beasts (supposedly more advanced of a boot than the Salomons). In all honesty, as my boots pack out, I'm almost wishing I had gone down 1 more shell size. I had an opportunity to pick up a pair of Dalbello Storms in 24.5 and now I wish I had; I feel like I have a little too much room in my Nordicas. For reference, I wear a women's size 10 shoe which is about a men's size 8 or 8.5, IIRC. If you go by sizing charts for ski boots (which are notoriously wrong), I should be in 27.0 mondo boots.

Be careful about putting your foot into a boot that's too big. A great deal isn't a great deal if it doesn't work for your feet.