• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LiftBlog Reports that Smuggs and Stowe are Exploring an Interconnect Gondola

NYDB

Fun fact - there are more empty homes in Vermont than in any other state in all of America.

About 20% of all homes in Vermont currently sit empty.

ummm…..no.
there are more vacant homes in Florida than there are total homes in VT.

if you meant to say - there are a greater % of vacant houses in VT ithan in any other state, I would agree.

but it’s not like VT is some outlier. as a %, Maine, and NH are right there are well. NH rate a bit lower due to southern NH being a suburb of Boston.

RH29

Fun fact - there are more empty homes in Vermont than in any other state in all of America.

About 20% of all homes in Vermont currently sit empty.
Does that include second homes used as ski houses?

SkiingInABlueDream

^what they said
Late reply to this (sorry, catching up) but towards the end of that article it says "However, leaked audio via Skiology Weather and News’s Facebook page shows..."
Backcountry magazine is referencing Skiology?? I must be missing something here🤔

kbroderick

Late reply to this (sorry, catching up) but towards the end of that article it says "However, leaked audio via Skiology Weather and News’s Facebook page shows..."
Backcountry magazine is referencing Skiology?? I must be missing something here🤔
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Or maybe the audio is very interesting but of questionable provenance, so they wanted to reference it but also point to someone else should the audio be questioned further.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wasatch Back.
Fun fact: in the late 1980's, Brighton proposed to have lift-served skiing off the backside of Snake Creek and down towards Midway so that those in the Wasatch Back could access Brighton without the long drive.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Fun fact: in the late 1980's, Brighton proposed to have lift-served skiing off the backside of Snake Creek and down towards Midway so that those in the Wasatch Back could access Brighton without the long drive.

Whatever came of this? Was the land bought and conserved to block future development?

Looks like the length of a lift to get over to Midway would be several miles long no?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Whatever came of this? Was the land bought and conserved to block future development?
Yeah, I'm curious too. I was looking for the Brighton/Boyne EIS but cannot find it (yet).
Looks like the length of a lift to get over to Midway would be several miles long no?
I believe that there was going to be one if not two lifts. And the lift was going to end uphill of the village. Quite a ways uphill actually.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not related to Smuggs, but for those interested, here is the 1991 Brighton EIS that proposed expanding the ski area into Wasatch County (towards Midway)

Attachments

• Brighton 1991 EIS.pdf
    23.1 MB · Views: 16

BenedictGomez

if you meant to say - there are a greater % of vacant houses in VT ithan in any other state, I would agree.

Correct. I guess I could have phrased it in a better manner which left no metaphysical possibility for various interpretations, but TBH I thought it pretty obvious.

BenedictGomez

Not related to Smuggs, but for those interested, here is the 1991 Brighton EIS that proposed expanding the ski area into Wasatch County (towards Midway)

Looking at the map you'd be able to ski in to Midway to the bottom'ish of Snake Canyon. That would have been amazing. A Midway Mountaintop restaurant was planned too. If anything, this makes far more sense today than it did 32 years ago given the explosion of population in Heber City, Kamas/Francis, etc.....

raisingarizona

Looking at the map you'd be able to ski in to Midway to the bottom'ish of Snake Canyon. That would have been amazing. A Midway Mountaintop restaurant was planned too. If anything, this makes far more sense today than it did 32 years ago given the explosion of population in Heber City, Kamas/Francis, etc.....
Something to think about while planning now for the traffic in LCC/BCC. What will it all look like 20 or 30 years from now?

Thinking long term every option to ease traffic probably makes sense.

Tonyr

Wow Congrats BG. Hope Jersey doesn't take too big a bite when you depart. Good luck and Happy Trails

We're going to start with the 50//50 thing (2 yrs down the line as we have not retired yet) at least keeping a toe hold in Jersey where my daughter and her husband live.

I can't wait to do the same. Have about 6 years left here as a full-timer to go. As it is now, we spend about 4 months of the year out of NY.

BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Something to think about while planning now for the traffic in LCC/BCC. What will it all look like 20 or 30 years from now?

Thinking long term every option to ease traffic probably makes sense.

Funny you should say that, I glanced through the report TB linked, and they actually talked about traffic problems in LCC/BCC.................................... in 1991.

So some Utah peeps thought the traffic bad even 30 years ago. LOL