• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Limited day ticket sales at all Vail Resorts this year

drjeff

Not sure if this is or isn't worthy of a new thread or just continue in the Vail sucks thread (although IMHO this doesn't suck), but all Vail Resorts will have a limited number of day tickets they will sell this year at their properties.

Not sure what that limit is (don't think at my home hill of Mount Snow that they hit that undisclosed day ticket limit on the few holiday periods that policy was in effect last year) so this could very well be a marketing thing to sell more Epic Pass products ahead on a price increase around Labor Day, as there will be no limits (or reservations required) for numbers of folks with Epic Pass products all season. And no planned mask requirements or lodge capacity limits planned as of now for the entire season.

If any of their Resorts reach the daily pre determined pre bought online ticket sales number for thar day, no tickets will be sold at the ticket windows for walk up customers thar day this season.

Also a weather permitting opening day of Nov 11 for Mount Snow and a week later on the 18th for Stowe, Wildcat and Hunter and then Okemo on the 19th and Sunapee on the 23rd

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Not sure if this is or isn't worthy of a new thread or just continue in the Vail sucks thread (although IMHO this doesn't suck), but all Vail Resorts will have a limited number of day tickets they will sell this year at their properties.

Not sure what that limit is (don't think at my home hill of Mount Snow that they hit that undisclosed day ticket limit on the few holiday periods that policy was in effect last year) so this could very well be a marketing thing to sell more Epic Pass products ahead on a price increase around Labor Day, as there will be no limits (or reservations required) for numbers of folks with Epic Pass products all season. And no planned mask requirements or lodge capacity limits planned as of now for the entire season.

If any of their Resorts reach the daily pre determined pre bought online ticket sales number for thar day, no tickets will be sold at the ticket windows for walk up customers thar day this season.

Also a weather permitting opening day of Nov 11 for Mount Snow and a week later on the 18th for Stowe, Wildcat and Hunter and then Okemo on the 19th and Sunapee on the 23rd

"Limit" means absolutely nothing if it's limited to 10,000 day tickets

Besides, day ticket sales aren't their problem- it's the cheap pass. As long as the pass is cheap and has no/few restrictions it's going to be a shit show at their properties

raisingarizona

How many day tickets do they actually sell these days? At what? 250-275 for one pass I can't imagine very many.

This sounds like they are trying to make it sound like they are doing something for their epic pass holders experience while actually not doing anything at all. Smoke and mirrors is what it looks like to me. With climate change becoming more and more apparent every year they're gonna go out like Abercrombie & Fitch....F all!

abc

It still fits in “Vail sucks”. Because it doesn’t solve the problem of the crowding, but requires one more extra (& pointless) step to go skiing.

I’m lucky I’m not tied to Vail mountains. Can sit back and enjoy the entertainment of watching the shift show from the side line.

thetrailboss

Staff member
"Limit" means absolutely nothing if it's limited to 10,000 day tickets

Besides, day ticket sales aren't their problem- it's the cheap pass. As long as the pass is cheap and has no/few restrictions it's going to be a shit show at their properties
Yep.

Additionally, their whole business model is to eliminate day ticket sales. So saying you are going to limit a product you don't want to sell is kind of meaningless.

Having reservations in place for passholders is a better route if they were sincere and serious about limiting crowds. But they aren't going to do that. It would piss off too many passholders.

Last edited:

drjeff

Anyone who has a pass sees right through this BS...

Its amazing how stupid the decision makers really are at Vail...

Don't think that they were looking at the people who already have an Epic Pass product when they came up with this. Grab a few extra folks, who plan on skiing around the big 3 Holiday periods and/or had to wait in a line to get a ticket last season and now won't have to with their Epic product, and I am sure the folks behind this in Broomfield will be happy. This marketing announcement likely was never intended to sway anyone who frequents a ski related chatroom, unless of course they have a very specific, historical type family trip to a specific Vail property during one of the 3 major holiday times, then they might get one of the Epic Day tickets to ensure that they might not get sold out.

Truthfully last season when they had some "limits" on day ticket sales at some resorts during the Holiday times, does any recall hearing that they actually "sold out"? Not even sure if that happened at Stowe....

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

I can say for certain that there were always people buying tickets at Roundtop on the weekends and never heard any chatter that it sold out...

thebigo

2Planker

It appears that the Wildcat GM (JDC) is making the rounds of job offerings in Northern NE.
My buddy interviewed him for Boyne/Shawnee, and he was then seen next day at BW.

Wasn't he just appointed ?? Maybe it had to do w/ the Lift Ops mass walk out.
Talks already about how WC & AT are going to have to share snowmakers and groomers again this coming season.

SO SAD, used to be such a great place to ski.
A NH hallmark of ski history, then Vail came in and the place will never be the same....

thetrailboss

Staff member
As to the opening dates they posted, those are ambitious. I’d hope everyone could open that early.

IceEidolon

Some of the PA resorts seem pretty laid back as far as opening dates go. I'll be curious if anyone's allowed to open earlier with good weather.

drjeff

Some of the PA resorts seem pretty laid back as far as opening dates go. I'll be curious if anyone's allowed to open earlier with good weather.

I would bet that just like Vail in most seasons ends up making an announcement in early March that they plan on extending the season (weather permitting) and extra X number of weeks over a planned closing date, that if they get a GOOD weather window, and have the staff in place, that some of those resorts with say Mid December and later opening dates, could go early. Their marketing machine is fairly predictable in ways like that, even if at other times it certainly is very spartan and calculated at what it puts out there for public consumption

Many of them certainly have shown in the past that they have the snowmaking firepower to do so if mother nature is feeling cooperative

Domeskier

It appears that the Wildcat GM (JDC) is making the rounds of job offerings in Northern NE.
My buddy interviewed him for Boyne/Shawnee, and he was then seen next day at BW.

Note to self: don't interview at Boyne/Shawnee unless you're ok with them announcing it to the world.

2Planker

Note to self: don't interview at Boyne/Shawnee unless you're ok with them announcing it to the world.
Boyne said nothin'
Just coincidental that the Boyne VP was at the BW Club, golfing for the day and happened to run into the same dude he interviewed the day before.