• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Limited day ticket sales at all Vail Resorts this year

deadheadskier

Staff member
Even when Vail had a reservation system, it was a joke and the crowds were the worst I'd seen since the 80s. Let's stop pretending they give a shit. They don't

drjeff

Even when Vail had a reservation system, it was a joke and the crowds were the worst I'd seen since the 80s. Let's stop pretending they give a shit. They don't

Just for a point of reference, the 1 season where they did have a ticket reservation system, that was also the season where they weren't loading any lifts at full capacity (unless you chose to) and they had the spacer lanes between the actual queue lanes, so that made for some pictures of liftlines that were BIG, when the parking lots were crowded for sure, but not as crowded as they had been in other years, I know for a fact that neither me or any of my family members, or any of my friends encountered a day when we couldn't ski/ride if we wanted to, and we all skied/rode LOTS of days that season

In hindsight now, given all that COVID has evloved to in society, one could certainly make an arguement on some level that the COVID policies that so many ski areas had during the '20-'21 season, based on the gov't guidance, was likely more overkill that it was making a difference

KustyTheKlown

Just for a point of reference, the 1 season where they did have a ticket reservation system, that was also the season where they weren't loading any lifts at full capacity (unless you chose to) and they had the spacer lanes between the actual queue lanes, so that made for some pictures of liftlines that were BIG, when the parking lots were crowded for sure, but not as crowded as they had been in other years, I know for a fact that neither me or any of my family members, or any of my friends encountered a day when we couldn't ski/ride if we wanted to, and we all skied/rode LOTS of days that season

In hindsight now, given all that COVID has evloved to in society, one could certainly make an arguement on some level that the COVID policies that so many ski areas had during the '20-'21 season, based on the gov't guidance, was likely more overkill that it was making a difference

yep, nothin to see here, doc...

https://player.vimeo.com/video/745540613?h=83c13cfa2d

deadheadskier

Staff member
There were no "spacer lanes" in NH. I recognize the capacity limitations that year.

I'll say it again, their reservation system was a joke and they don't give a shit about over crowding at all. Cute little press releases like this one assume a naive clientele. Perhaps they are.

But by all means everyone, go to Mt Snow! You'll love it! Experience of a lifetime!

KustyTheKlown

i wish i knew how to embed that fuckin video i posted. i was impressed with my being able to get it from my text messages into vimeo, but couldn't figure out the last step. was sent to me by a friend with an epic pass on Saturday February 5. the scene at mount snow is ungodly. i wrote back "17" at killington, minimal lines. woods skiing great", with two sexy pics of snowy woods with no people

jaytrem

Odd are the North Face had minimal or no lines. People love that stupid bubble.

abc

Here we go again! Every chance…

When Covid restriction first came out, there was all the worry about those restrictions lasting long after the virus are no longer an issue. Little did we know “Covid moaning” last far longer than Covid itself…🤣🤣🤣

drjeff

Here we go again! Every chance…

When Covid restriction first came out, there was all the worry about those restrictions lasting long after the virus are no longer an issue. Little did we know “Covid moaning” last far longer than Covid itself…🤣🤣🤣

If you can't acknowledge what started becoming clear in mid 2020 and became quite clear as we headed into 2021 that COVID affected certain demographics far more than most others, and WASN'T something where a 1 size fits all approach towards dealing with it was the best approach when you factor in the affects on the economy, the mental health of many, and the social and academic development of our youth, and want to just brush that off as "Covid moaning" as you put it, then maybe it's time to put aside your ideological preferences and take an objective look at how things were handled.

I look forward to a ski season this year, like it SHOULD of been last season, fully normal as it was before any of us had heard of "Covid 19"

BenedictGomez

I look forward to a ski season this year, like it SHOULD of been last season, fully normal as it was before any of us had heard of "Covid 19"

Yeah, I'll sadly take the UNDER on that (depending upon which state you're skiing in).

drjeff

Yeah, I'll sadly take the UNDER on that (depending upon which state you're skiing in).

Curious as to your thought process on the under....

I mean we have statistically speaking gone through another spike recently in cases courtesy of the latest variant. We haven't seen a massive spike in hospitalizations/deaths from it. We haven't seen the media pushing the fear factor nearly as much now as they did in the past. We know that regardless of one's Vax status or not that you can contract it. We know that unless you're talking about a properly fit/worn N95 mask that mask wearing won't prevent you from contracting it. We aren't seeing the overwhelming majority of schools across the country having mask mandates as this school year starts up. We aren't seeing mask mandates in businesses or for air line travel anymore.

So just curious if you OBJECTIVELY look at all things COVID and society now as to why you would bet the under? Is it just about politicians wanting to "flex their muscles of control" over society, especially as we head towards elections? If so, isn't that an entirely, non science based, issue? Just curious

bigbob

Curious as to your thought process on the under....

I mean we have statistically speaking gone through another spike recently in cases courtesy of the latest variant. We haven't seen a massive spike in hospitalizations/deaths from it. We haven't seen the media pushing the fear factor nearly as much now as they did in the past. We know that regardless of one's Vax status or not that you can contract it. We know that unless you're talking about a properly fit/worn N95 mask that mask wearing won't prevent you from contracting it. We aren't seeing the overwhelming majority of schools across the country having mask mandates as this school year starts up. We aren't seeing mask mandates in businesses or for air line travel anymore.

So just curious if you OBJECTIVELY look at all things COVID and society now as to why you would bet the under? Is it just about politicians wanting to "flex their muscles of control" over society, especially as we head towards elections? If so, isn't that an entirely, non science based, issue? Just curious
There was an article today in The Union Leader (NH) about schools returning to normal. It is pretty much a bad cold now.

Great Bear

Out of curiosity, what did you find to be not normal last season? My experience was that lifts were loading at full capacity, lodges were open, etc. Most of the "not normal" was more staffing (not so much covid) related.

drjeff

Out of curiosity, what did you find to be not normal last season? My experience was that lifts were loading at full capacity, lodges were open, etc. Most of the "not normal" was more staffing (not so much covid) related.

Some reservations were needed for food and beverage operations early in the season,that then tapered off and went away in the late season, and yes, the staffing issue, which often was spun off as COVID related, even if was more likely COVID policy related verses actually a function of the disease process affecting actual people (maybe one could say that the initial Omicron spike around the Christmas Week/MLK weekend timeframe was from the actual disease itself affecting staff availability, but more often than not it was policy related, not disease process itself)

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I believe staffing issues were and are covid related.

machski

Out at Vail, it was closed food outlets on hill or super reduced service (just grab and go) and in the case of the Mongolia surface lift, never ran or was staffed last season.

abc

If you can't acknowledge what started becoming clear in mid 2020 and became quite clear as we headed into 2021 that COVID affected certain demographics far more than most others, and WASN'T something where a 1 size fits all approach towards dealing with it was the best approach when you factor in the affects on the economy, the mental health of many, and the social and academic development of our youth, and want to just brush that off as "Covid moaning" as you put it, then maybe it's time to put aside your ideological preferences and take an objective look at how things were handled.
Yea right, ”objective look” at how a health issue “were handled”, on a ski forum!

Perhaps you were not moaning. But clearly you’re bored to the bones to want to have a discussion of health issue on a ski forum, “Dr.”.

Maybe I should “have an objective look” at artificial intelligence (my field of work at the moment) on a ski forum? But somehow I think I’ll get a lot more “objective” response in cohorts of my equal rather than a bunch of random internet ski bums.

In short, I still think you’re “Covid moaning”, not “objective look”.

Lotso

All I know is that I won't be contributing to the overcrowding of any Vail areas. I'll patronize the little, non-corporate places and be able to see why I still love the sport.