• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Low angle/intermediate glades at Jay

TheArchitect

I've searched but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for....

My son and I are heading up to Jay this Saturday. It’ll be my first visit in an embarrassingly long time. Anyway, I’m wondering if Jay has any glades suited for people who don’t have a lot of experience in the trees but want to get more. We skied some glades at Okemo this past weekend (Forrest Bump) and thought it was great. Does Jay have anything similar or not too much steeper? I’ve skied some glades at Sugarbush but my son isn’t ready for anything too steep.

Anyone ski Jay this past weekend? How was the snow coverage in the glades?

Last edited:

C-Rex

Check out Bushwacker. It's low angle and very open. I think Half Moon is similar but I haven't riddent it so I can't say for sure.

If you get bored with those, check out Hell's woods. It's pretty steep at the very top but mellow's out from there. You can also cut in from Hell's crossing to avoid the more difficult entry. It's fairly open as well and a good place to ratchet up your woods riding.

Oh, and I was there Thursday and the conditions were amazing. I think they are supposed to get more snow this week as well.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Thanks C-Rex. We'll check those out. Glad to hear the conditions are still good in the trees.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Bushwacker and the Moon Woods for absolute never ever.

Buckaroo Bonzai and Stateside once you are ready for a small step up.

Beaver Pond would be a good step up from there. That should be plenty to get you going.

Lower Everglade is a really nice low-angle glade. Just don't fall in the stream. The catch is, you have to ski the top pitch of JFK to get there, which may not be everybody's cup of tea. Look for the obvious (complete with sign) entrance on skier's right, at the base of the steep pitch on JFK, just before the run doglegs to the left.

TheArchitect

JFK won't be an issue for me. I'll have to see if he can make it down. Thanks for the warning on the stream :)