• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lug or Wear? - Boots/Gear from car to-and-from the lodge

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

If it is a resort then usually boots I put in in the lodge, if it is Platty then I put stuff on by car with trunk open.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have a transpack also. I almost always change up in the lodge even when flying solo.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

hammer

Each person in the family has their own Transpack. Worked out well for the kiddos because they could carry their own gear. My boots fit pretty snug which works out fine for skiing but makes them very uncomfortable when walking.

I saw a lot of people in Park City wearing their boots from the condo to the bus to the ski area. The only people we saw with Transpack bags were from MA.

Madroch

Family of transpacks. WE all lug boots, I lug ski pants everytime, and everything but baselayers when traveling more than 1/2 an hour- I get cold easy and I find that wearing too many layers in teh car makes me colder when I hit the slopes.

Riverskier

I am a lugger, but mostly because I always finish my day with a couple beers at the bar. I like to take my boots off, put on dry socks, etc. and relax comfortably. If I just left right after a ski day, I would probably boot up in the car and avoid the lodge altogether.

BenedictGomez

they fit easily without stretching. Just took another look and put the helmet in the top pocket and the front pocket had plenty of rooms for gloves, hats, goggles and more. I owned a transpac and stuff fits easier in this pack then in the transpac.

SOLD (that's all I needed to know, thanks)

Ordered one for the girlfriend and another for myself. Cost = $29.95 each shipping included. The reviews online are fantastic, and some even prefer it to ones costing 2x or more the price.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Depends on the ski area. I boot up at the car at Gunstock. The lodge there is incredibly inconvenient to get to the lifts. I can park 50-100 feet from the quad. That same parking spot is several hundred feet to the lodge and then it's a several hundred foot walk back to the lift. I always boot up at the car for the same reason at Stowe.

Most places I'll boot up in the lodge. I have just a regular old back pack and find I can sling my boots over the back so they are positioned just like a transpack. All the gear I need fits inside. The boots move around only a little bit, but not enough to warrant me going out and buying something I really don't need.

boston_e

I'm 50/50 depending on the day and the resort. When with family (kids 6 and 4) I too am the Mule that carries the big bag up... but the kids carry thier own skis.

rocojerry

i'd say it depends a lot on the day, the lot, the company, the mountain for me...

On one end, you have the spring-skiing tailgate session, with a late arrival to the lot where I tend to boot up sitting on the tailgate and get some sun and whiffs of burgers and dogs...

On the other, a fridgid snowy start, wife en tow, the lot isn't skiable to at the end of the day or i'm packing big lunch...

but overall, i guess majority goes to boots/goggles/contacts(i woke up at 4am) on in the lodge

BenedictGomez

Ordered one for the girlfriend and another for myself. Cost = $29.95 each shipping included. The reviews online are fantastic, and some even prefer it to ones costing 2x or more the price.

Deal wound up being even better than I thought, as enclosed with each bag from backcountry.com was a $5 Liftopia gift certificate = $10 in free money, which basically brought the cost down to $25/bag.

steamboat1

One of my ski buddies lugs his boots to the lodge the old fashioned way. He sticks his ski pole in the boot & carries them over his shoulders like you would ski's. Pretty funny to watch actually being he's about 6' 6". Keeping the toe side down is important when using this method. On the other hand I'm only slightly more modern. I have a boot strap I just throw over my shoulder. I'd say 90% of the time I lug the boots from the car to the lodge & buckle up there. I put my boots on in the car only when I occasionally park in an area that I only need to take a few steps, pop into my ski's & ski onto the lift. On the few occasions I'm staying slope side I'll put my boots on in the room/condo or in the locker area that some lodges provide. Nobody is going to steal my smelly sneakers with a boot strap attached when I leave them in the base lodge. A nice boot bag on the other hand might be more tempting to a thief.

Breakout12

I like boot and ski bags, but only for carrying to and from the car and apartment, hotel, etc. At the ski area, I don't want to leave anything in the lodge. My helmet bag is a sling type that goes over the shoulder easily. I took the shoulder strap off an old gym bag and use it like a boot strap. Goggles fit in a jacket pocket. So, helmet and boots over the shoulders, skis and poles in hands. The strap and helmet bag go in pockets while on the hill, and the helmet bag becomes a stuff bag when taking a break - helmet, goggles, gloves, etc. Now I just need a pair of cheap boots or shoes that I won't mind getting stolen.

ceo

My mother made boot straps out of an old seatbelt when I was a kid; I still use mine.

k123

Just picked up this bag for $34 including shipping from altrec.com
66730.117254_e.jpg

millerm277

I just boot up at the car, but I put cattracks on the boots while walking in the lot, so I don't wear down the boot by doing it.

WinnChill

Please excuse the bump. I've been seeing many Transpacks and am temped to get one. So far, I've fitted the family with shoulder straps for boots and skiis, then a backpack for gear/lunch. So far so good. However, I just saw a lady towing everything (couple sets of skis and some light gear) with a plastic sled--same idea from folks lugging stuff via wagons at large outdoor sports venues, then lock up at the chainlink fences outside. Slide everything to the lodge and tie the sled up somewhere, but I would clear it with lodge staff if it's ok to tie up in a corner somewhere. Not the best if parking lots are bare like this weekend though.