• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MAX Pass 2016-2017

KustyTheKlown

Just cleared two weeks off of work end of feb beginning of March

Winter park copper and eldora 2/19-27, big sky 2/28-3/5

BRING IT

Jcb890

BRING IT

That sounds awesome!

The wife and I are debating a trip in mid/late January to Copper with a possible day-trip to Winter Park, Steamboat or Eldora.

We were also debating going to BC instead and splitting time between Kicking Horse and Fernie.

Housing prices in CO and MT appear to be pretty close, but BC is cheaper. Flights to Denver and Calgary are both similar while Bozeman, MT is higher priced.

4aprice

BRING IT

We just pulled the trigger on trip #1 this week with a nice airfare out of Newark (surprise, surprise). Hitting Winter Park and Cooper that one. Now shopping for the March trip. Going to drive Den - SLC via Steamboat and maybe more, for that one. The selection of flights to Denver is much more then to Salt Lake City where we usually fly.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

mccleaks

Reviving this thread for some advice. I bought a MAX Pass this year. I'll get some solid use out of it here in the NE, but I'm looking into planning an away game due to current weather conditions. The only mountain on the pass outside of the Northeast that I have been to before is Big Sky. I love Big Sky (and Bridger), but I think I'd rather try somewhere new. Any recommendations on who has been getting the best snow? Which mountains are must sees? Easiest/cheapest travel from Boston? Places with cheap accommodations vs being stuck in a yuppie ski town where everything is over priced?

Obviously there are a ton of options and this is mostly a personal preference thing, but tips to keep travel and lodging costs down are definitely appreciated. Worst case I'll drive to Canada and hit Tremblant or Sainte-Anne for a few days, but last time I was up there I saw -30 on the thermometer which isn't too fun to ski in.

4aprice

Reviving this thread for some advice. I bought a MAX Pass this year. I'll get some solid use out of it here in the NE, but I'm looking into planning an away game due to current weather conditions. The only mountain on the pass outside of the Northeast that I have been to before is Big Sky. I love Big Sky (and Bridger), but I think I'd rather try somewhere new. Any recommendations on who has been getting the best snow? Which mountains are must sees? Easiest/cheapest travel from Boston? Places with cheap accommodations vs being stuck in a yuppie ski town where everything is over priced?

Obviously there are a ton of options and this is mostly a personal preference thing, but tips to keep travel and lodging costs down are definitely appreciated. Worst case I'll drive to Canada and hit Tremblant or Sainte-Anne for a few days, but last time I was up there I saw -30 on the thermometer which isn't too fun to ski in.

Not sure about Boston but down here out of NY its a lot cheaper and there are a lot more flights to Denver then there are to say Salt Lake. Hard to go wrong in Colorado with 5 Max Pass options.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jcb890

We're heading out to Colorado Friday night, riding 4 days at Copper. We might check out Winter Park or Steamboat on one of the days instead, but the current plan is Copper since we're staying in Frisco.

I have never ridden anywhere outside of New England, so I'm pretty pumped.

KustyTheKlown

You really can't go wrong out west right now.

Cheapest flights would be Denver or Seattle. Copper and winter park are great and not far from Denver, but can be crowded on weekends

The Seattle resorts have basically no lodging so you stay in town and lodging can be cheap.

Same for Brighton/solitude, no lodging so you stay in SLC on the cheap. SLC also has ski buses to the mountains.

The interior BC option is good too, at kicking horse, fly to Calgary and drive 3 hours

JDMRoma

We're heading out to Colorado Friday night, riding 4 days at Copper. We might check out Winter Park or Steamboat on one of the days instead, but the current plan is Copper since we're staying in Frisco.

Great timing !! Enjoy !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

4aprice

I'm not sure you want to spend much time driving if the weather they are having continues. My son got stuck on the other side of Berthoud Pass and cost me a hotel room this past week. Believe me there is more then enough at Copper to keep you entertained. Driving can be an adventure out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

KustyTheKlown

Don't snooze on winter park. Epic steeps and trees in the mj side. Road to wp can be gritty in snow tho

dlague

While you are there check out West Tavern! In Silverthorne, Mint Steakhouse where you cook your food and in Dillon - Pug Ryans. That tri-town area is surrounded by skiing (Vail, Beaver, Breck Key, Cooper, Copper AB and LL) and a great area to put your feet up!

And yes great timing!

Jcb890

Great timing !! Enjoy !
Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Thanks! Hoping we'll get some fresh snow too while we're out there, but it seems like conditions should be pretty good (we hope!).

I'm not sure you want to spend much time driving if the weather they are having continues. My son got stuck on the other side of Berthoud Pass and cost me a hotel room this past week. Believe me there is more then enough at Copper to keep you entertained. Driving can be an adventure out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I don't know if we'll wind up driving, but its been something I have been thinking about. Steamboat is pretty far while Winter Park is closer to Frisco and Denver. We'll see, but I wouldn't be surprised if we just ride the 4 days at Copper.

Don't snooze on winter park. Epic steeps and trees in the mj side. Road to wp can be gritty in snow tho
We shall see. We're renting a Jeep Compass, but I don't think its going to be anything amazing in the snow. That said, I don't know if there will be any big dumps while we're out there, so roads might be OK from a weather standpoint.

While you are there check out West Tavern! In Silverthorne, Mint Steakhouse where you cook your food and in Dillon - Pug Ryans. That tri-town area is surrounded by skiing (Vail, Beaver, Breck Key, Cooper, Copper AB and LL) and a great area to put your feet up!

And yes great timing!
I sent you a PM also to see if you'd be around for some laps possibly. Let me know if you're around at all and interested.

Is West Tavern in Frisco? Thanks for the suggestions!

mccleaks

I posted about my Max Pass plans in this thread. May give you some ideas from what I am doing and what some others responded:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...ger-Colorado-ski-trip-in-Feb?highlight=whitey
Thanks! Just read that whole thread. I've spent a couple of weeks in CO in the past, just never at any of the mountains on the MAX pass (Breck, Vail, A-Basin). Lot of good info and recommendations in that thread on the different mountains. I may be leaning towards CO now if I'm able to make a trip happen.
Definitely take everyone's advise on hydrating. I have a camel back that I very rarely wear here in the east, but at altitude I drink at least a full bladder a day. Also, the rental car place is going to try to rent you a speed pass when you pick up your car. Last time I was there they refused to tell us if we would hit tolls between the airport and Vail, just threatened that if we went through a toll without the speed pass they would bill us for the toll and some ridiculous fee. We risked it and there were no tolls, but this might be something you want to look into before you go. Wrap your speed pass in tinfoil and pack it in a checked bag if you're going to need one. Hope you have a great trip. I'm sure your kids will love it. I'll never forget the first time my parents took me West.

Jcb890

Thanks! Just read that whole thread. I've spent a couple of weeks in CO in the past, just never at any of the mountains on the MAX pass (Breck, Vail, A-Basin). Lot of good info and recommendations in that thread on the different mountains. I may be leaning towards CO now if I'm able to make a trip happen.
Definitely take everyone's advise on hydrating. I have a camel back that I very rarely wear here in the east, but at altitude I drink at least a full bladder a day. Also, the rental car place is going to try to rent you a speed pass when you pick up your car. Last time I was there they refused to tell us if we would hit tolls between the airport and Vail, just threatened that if we went through a toll without the speed pass they would bill us for the toll and some ridiculous fee. We risked it and there were no tolls, but this might be something you want to look into before you go. Wrap your speed pass in tinfoil and pack it in a checked bag if you're going to need one. Hope you have a great trip. I'm sure your kids will love it. I'll never forget the first time my parents took me West.

Google Maps is telling me there are not any tolls from Denver International Airport to Frisco, CO either. Anyone know if this is true? Good heads up on the pass. We have an EZ Pass for MA, but I'm guessing that wouldn't work.

I don't have a hydration pack like a Camelbak and I'm a bit worried about it. I drink a lot of water here on the East Coast, but don't use a pack. Generally I'll drink a bottle while getting ready in the AM, carry a bottle up on the lift and drink it within the first couple of runs, then go without for a bit and stop for lunch and have another bottle or 2, then bring out another bottle with me for after lunch.

dlague

Thanks! Hoping we'll get some fresh snow too while we're out there, but it seems like conditions should be pretty good (we hope!).

I don't know if we'll wind up driving, but its been something I have been thinking about. Steamboat is pretty far while Winter Park is closer to Frisco and Denver. We'll see, but I wouldn't be surprised if we just ride the 4 days at Copper.

We shall see. We're renting a Jeep Compass, but I don't think its going to be anything amazing in the snow. That said, I don't know if there will be any big dumps while we're out there, so roads might be OK from a weather standpoint.

I sent you a PM also to see if you'd be around for some laps possibly. Let me know if you're around at all and interested.

Is West Tavern in Frisco? Thanks for the suggestions!

Snow is stopping after tonight until next Tuesday. Supposed to be a nice weekend.

Yes West Tavern is in Frisco. Good beer, good food.

I do not have a pass for Copper but if you want to try A Basin I have 2 for 1 deals. We ski off the Epic Local Pass.

If skiing does not happen then we could meet else where for the fun of it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

Snow is stopping after tonight until next Tuesday. Supposed to be a nice weekend.

Yes West Tavern is in Frisco. Good beer, good food.

I do not have a pass for Copper but if you want to try A Basin I have 2 for 1 deals. We ski off the Epic Local Pass.

If skiing does not happen then we could meet else where for the fun of it.

Don't know about this season but last year several gas stations down in the Denver metro had a 2 for 1 for Copper.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

NYDB

Google Maps is telling me there are not any tolls from Denver International Airport to Frisco, CO either. Anyone know if this is true? Good heads up on the pass. We have an EZ Pass for MA, but I'm guessing that wouldn't work.

I don't have a hydration pack like a Camelbak and I'm a bit worried about it. I drink a lot of water here on the East Coast, but don't use a pack. Generally I'll drink a bottle while getting ready in the AM, carry a bottle up on the lift and drink it within the first couple of runs, then go without for a bit and stop for lunch and have another bottle or 2, then bring out another bottle with me for after lunch.

Yes, there are no tolls on that stretch . Its the same stretch he was referring to, albeit shorter

+10 on the hydration. I was out there for a MTB stage race last year and even in the summer you had to drink crazy amounts of h20

dlague

Don't know about this season but last year several gas stations down in the Denver metro had a 2 for 1 for Copper.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Ya I have seen those. But we have so many 2 for 1 deals that we will never use. We are King Sooper fans because you do groceries there and if played right we get up to $1 off per gallon of gas at Loaf and Jug.

BTW almost everyone that visits reacts to the name of this gas station/convenience store.

89538720e33c0e3a35ca1a4849e5296a.jpg