• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mid-April trip out west

lerops

For best conditions, for next week or the following week, where would you go?

Temperatures seem to be climbing. I can't figure it out, but don't want to go all the way out there and not have good conditions.

Thank you.

4aprice

Was reading on another site (mostly inhabited by westerners) that they thought the current storm cycle in Colorado was coming to an end. That said I'm sure there is plenty of snow and skiing would be fine, just sunny and warm. If we didn't have a good snow pack in NNE I would be looking into going but for the 2 to 3 weeks left of my season and decent snow which should last that long here I'll save the airfare.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jimk

All the usual suspects near gateway airports of Denver and SLC seem to be in good to very good shape right now. I guess UT got more fresh in the last few days 2-3', but CO got some too and CO's had a consistently good season all the way. Even CA is coming around. I guess I would look at your flight and lodging costs/options. Are you going for a full week or just a few days?

snoseek

Pretty good here right now, Kirkwood's claiming 72 inches in that 5 day cycle, amazing week here...its gonna get warm again though so by next week it would be all about the corn cycle. Lower areas not so good. Honestly the ridge is building back up for the west next week, expect warm corn....hence why im heading to moab.

Bumpsis

For best conditions, for next week or the following week, where would you go?

Temperatures seem to be climbing. I can't figure it out, but don't want to go all the way out there and not have good conditions.

Thank you.

I'd definitely look into Banff. They usually go well into April, Sunshine Village, Lake Louise are great in spring. You also within driving distance of some other great palces like Revelsotoke.

BenedictGomez

All the usual suspects near gateway airports of Denver and SLC seem to be in good to very good shape right now.

Will any of them even be open? I saw that Deer Valley and The Canyons are closing April 13th unless they extended them. I was considering a trip out there instead of n.VT, but a few weeks ago when I looked that was the case.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Alta/Snowbird. We're getting the love right now. Two feet of new snow over the last three days or so. And the 'bird is set to go late into May if not June.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Will any of them even be open? I saw that Deer Valley and The Canyons are closing April 13th unless they extended them. I was considering a trip out there instead of n.VT, but a few weeks ago when I looked that was the case.

We DO have more than DV or Canyons ;)

lerops

All the usual suspects near gateway airports of Denver and SLC seem to be in good to very good shape right now. I guess UT got more fresh in the last few days 2-3', but CO got some too and CO's had a consistently good season all the way. Even CA is coming around. I guess I would look at your flight and lodging costs/options. Are you going for a full week or just a few days?

thinking of a week, but warmer weather moving in is making me rethink. maybe, I should go to Jay Peak, Stowe or Quebec and settle for what I get.

jimk

I think it will be great. Liftopia's offering Snowbird (good for advanced) and Solitude (good for intermediates) tickets for about $50 right now for that timeframe. If you got a deal on airfare you could do trip pretty cheaply by renting economy car and staying in a $50-75 motel in SLC suburbs for a week. If you wanted to really live it up look for spring package slopeside at Snowbird.

thetrailboss

Staff member
How do you think it will be in 10 days?

One forecast does suggest a warm up. The Utah Avalanche Center is saying that the end of next week it may hit the 50's on the higher ridges. I'm not seeing anything from NOAA that corresponds with that. We have plenty of snow....the most we've had in my three years out here. It is still snowing as I type.

Personally I'm going to Deer Valley tomorrow because they've got a lot of snow as well and they close in ten days. I've got to use my free days that are on my pass....they are worth $108 a day :eek:

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
thinking of a week, but warmer weather moving in is making me rethink. maybe, I should go to Jay Peak, Stowe or Quebec and settle for what I get.

It may warm up, but we are not going to lose all our snow. We have a lot up there. More than these areas.

It is also a slow time for the areas and deals can be found. Check out Snowbird's site--the Cliff is really nice. Easy drive from SLC.

drjeff

They cost $108....whether they're worth $108 is up for debate. ;).

If you catch DV on a good day, easily worth the $108 IMHO. If you catch DV on an "OK" day, then I'd say they'd be worth maybe $106.95 ;-)

I still say that if it's possible for a mountain with so many accolades to be underrated, that that describes DV. It's SO much more than the stereotypical intermediate groomers and Bogner clad folks! (although you can certainly find that there too)

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you catch DV on a good day, easily worth the $108 IMHO. If you catch DV on an "OK" day, then I'd say they'd be worth maybe $106.95 ;-)

I still say that if it's possible for a mountain with so many accolades to be underrated, that that describes DV. It's SO much more than the stereotypical intermediate groomers and Bogner clad folks! (although you can certainly find that there too)

I personally love Alta/Snowbird. I love Deer Valley as well. DV is awesome...on and off trail.

My biggest problem for tomorrow is which skis--the rockered pow skis or my Monster 102s. The latter really loved DV on my last visit and did not scare the kids and old folks as much.