• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountains only open on weekends?

ADKme

What mountains are only open on weekends? If there's a huge mid-week dump and I've been "sick" too many times this winter, what are the options for fresh tracks to still be available on the weekend?

skiNEwhere

I don't know if they are doing this this season, but a season or two ago, Pico was only open during the weekend. Not sure if that's the case now

skiersleft

I don't know if they are doing this this season, but a season or two ago, Pico was only open during the weekend. Not sure if that's the case now

Pico doesn't operate weekends only. It closes Tuesday and Wednesday. Opens Thursday through Monday.

legalskier

Hickory in Warrensburg NY is open weekends only. But note that it's heavily dependent on natural snow so check the website beforehand. Hickory was taken out of NELSAP a couple of years ago and had a rough time last year due to Mother Nature's lack of cooperation.
http://www.hickoryskicenter.com/

There's also Plattekill, open Fri-Sun. They open midweek after dumps of at leasr 12". Good time to get sick.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Plattekill, is open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sunday, also holiday weeks and when it snows about a foot they will open regardless of the day.

bobbutts

Your best lift-serviced bet is probably some place like Saddleback which has low traffic and high acreage and snowfall.

BenedictGomez

Plattekill, is open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sunday, also holiday weeks and when it snows about a foot they will open regardless of the day.

And so few people ski there on Friday, even after 8 or 12 inches of snow, there's still great conditions left on Saturday.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Pico doesn't operate weekends only. It closes Tuesday and Wednesday. Opens Thursday through Monday.
The problem with the Pico strategy is that Killington passholders go to Pico the day after getting the goods at Killington. So Thursday day after the powder day at Pico seems busier than it might be because so many Killington pass holders show up. Or at least that is what I experienced last season trying to scoop the powder at an area closed mid-week.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Your best lift-serviced bet is probably some place like Saddleback which has low traffic and high acreage and snowfall.
Saddleback is open 7 days a week. The powder will surely be sacked at a place like Saddleback within a day. It does not have high acreage, not by a long shot. They are going to groom most of the lower mountain leaving the Kennabago which is only 1k vert so even a few skiers can really track it up quickly in just a few runs. I'd rank Saddleback very low for a "day after the powder day" area. Especially considering that the OP is looking for places 100% untracked a day or two after the dump... but if you do want to talk what areas open 7 days per week would be great a day or two after the powder, look to lesser known areas like Middlebury, Dartmouth, Black NH, Balsams (when it reopens), etc. Those places are going to be dead during the week even on a pow day.

A better option in Maine would be Mount Abram. Black Mountain ME isn't open Mon or Tues but the pitch is considerably less, not sure what their grooming standards are.