• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

slatham

Well I guess there’s some hope that next week with a turn to cold and Presidents week coming up that they’ll go for it. But that’s the last chance IMHO.

SLyardsale

Found out today NSAA Winter Conference is going on here next couple of days Link . Interesting to see all the different fan guns going on Coopers til about noon time today. By the time I got back to Sundance, they had shut down. Fancy new groomers going up & down beaver hill too. Another blue bird with spectacular views.

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg
IMG_3397.jpg
IMG_3400.jpg

reefer

Hard and fast yesterday. Plenty of snow to be found. Agree that most closed trails should be open with a caution sign. It keeps people away or a one and done. Took a meandering run down Uncles and did not see a sole. Had the caution sign. The ice on the top third of the hill is amazing. Makes for a winter wonderland. Was told by off duty patrolman that Ego lift was never inspected. No intention of running it this year. No reason why. He also said the Grand Summit is waiting a part. That is why they still haven't de-iced it. Take that for what it is worth, could be fifth hand.
Not sure if the highway shooting the other day on 95 has anything to do with it, bit I have NEVER seen so many State Police on 91 and the Pike. Especially coming home at night. Looked like all hands on deck.
Going back tomorrow. Looking like another top ten ski day!

Attachments

• 20240206_115533.jpg
    20240206_115533.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240206_125311.jpg
    20240206_125311.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240206_125126.jpg
    20240206_125126.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240206_121956.jpg
    20240206_121956.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240206_120943.jpg
    20240206_120943.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240206_115544.jpg
    20240206_115544.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240206_124130.jpg
    20240206_124130.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16

SLyardsale

approx 3" of natural and then dry gun powder all around finally improved this place. photo of canyon (prior to the lift evac - which I missed out on, thankfully)

IMG_3403.jpg

connersw

The ENTIRE week is a holiday so you can charge for weekday parking? Mon wasn't even a black out day for Epic.

Over half of North Face is still roped off for no apparent reason and only one lift running at Carinthia base. Granted, looks like Nitro was unplanned downtime, but the people working it seemed pretty out of their element.

Skied plenty of Epic resorts, and this just seems like poor local mismanagement.

Last edited:

SLyardsale

The ENTIRE week is a holiday so you can charge for weekday parking? Mon wasn't even a black out day for Epic.

Over half of North Face is still roped off for no apparent reason and only one lift running at Carinthia base. Granted, looks like Nitro was unplanned downtime, but the people working it seemed pretty out of their element.

Skied plenty of Epic resorts, and this just seems like poor local mismanagement.
they had 2" of wet snow on Thurs nite 2/22 and then had 3 lifts go on maintenance hold friday morning- nitro, canyon, and GSE. They also couldnt open the bullwheel on Friday either. On Friday, I skied OMT and overbrook for the first time this season. hooray. challenging times for MS leadership. they are doing the best they can

drjeff

they had 2" of wet snow on Thurs nite 2/22 and then had 3 lifts go on maintenance hold friday morning- nitro, canyon, and GSE. They also couldnt open the bullwheel on Friday either. On Friday, I skied OMT and overbrook for the first time this season. hooray. challenging times for MS leadership. they are doing the best they can
50ish yr old blocked up sewer pipes at the Summit, do present challenges at the Summit at times...

If the state was less arduous with the permitting process, pretty sure a new, repositioned, Summit lodge, to accommodate future lift upgrades, would happen very soon

Newpylong

Gotta file the paperwork first and see what happens... I imagine it's not a priority. Trade back Tramline or Moonbeam if they don't have the acres banked for the summit clearing.

drjeff

Gotta file the paperwork first and see what happens... I imagine it's not a priority. Trade back Tramline or Moonbeam if they don't have the acres banked for the summit clearing.
Unless they want to build something HUGE, pretty sure they could build a new Summit Lodge, that could accommodate for a few new Summit lift terminals, without dropping more than a few brush pine (nest the top of the current Challenger top terminal)...

drjeff

Yep. Did you find out why they didn't do Ripcord this year? That has to be a first ever.
No idea as to why they didn't make snow on it this season. And since they've started pulling hoses on the non core trails, doubt that will change this season

SLyardsale

No idea as to why they didn't make snow on it this season. And since they've started pulling hoses on the non core trails, doubt that will change this season
abandoned Narrow Gauge (natural). abandoned iron run (natural), abandoned Rusty Nail (natural - they should give that back) abandoned lower wild lodge (natural), abandoned upper ex (snow making), abandoned ripcord (snow making), abandoned the farm between nitro & half pipe (snow making), abandoned pipe (snowmaking), abandoned high traverse between little john & canyon, (mixed), nixed bumps on bear trap, mine shaft is cut in half with snowmobile lane, They could have opened many of the natural runs for a much longer window between late Jan to Friday 2/23. rope dropping on north face does not happen very often.

Atomic

Medium-heavy and thick serving of spring-like mashed spuds of all textures smothered and covered the mighty Snow massif today. Sunshine daydream before the wet rot begins. Looks like late Feb. is the new late March.

1- Ridge.
2- Ridge woods which got soft and ok for a while for a few turns.
3- Ripcord which was closed and looking sorta evil and hungry for flesh.

1708998562856.jpeg
1708998716157.jpeg
1708998988907.png

jaytrem

Almost looks like they started to make snow on it and stopped? Did they?

reefer

Wait. Seriously? any tunes?
Didn't hear any tunes today when we checked it out. Didn't even go up the chair. Only half the trail has snow and is as flat as a pancake. Didn't look very deep for bump forming. Went back up the Sunbrook to the North Face.
Was sweet out there today as Atomic said. I do love my spring skiing. But not in February.
Also, I must say the paid parking has changed my life. Forced (sort of) to park at Sundance has been a blessing. Totally laid-back lodge now where I can bring my lunch and beverage right onto the deck or into the lodge. This is weekdays. There really isn't a big parking lot so It's probably pretty quiet on weekends also. But that lot is paid parking on weekends.
I think that is natural snow/sleet that fell on Ripcord. They had some decent snow that froze solid. You can ski all the glades. Not sure what the deal is with not opening some of these trails. Ripcord does look evil but I've skied it much worse back in the day. Plenty of tracks in it but probably there from when it was fresh. Does look very "firm". Why Challenger is closed, Uncles, etc. is a question I must ask one of these days.
Good points by SLy

jaytrem

Sundance lodge is a lot less crowded on the weekends ever since Vail chased all those buses away.