• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My '08-'09 Recession Tale

madskier6

I haven't been posting much here at AZ, in case you haven't noticed. The reason is I have been hit pretty hard by the effects of the 2008-2009 recession/financial meltdown. I got laid-off from my job in September 2008 & have been put through the ringer for the last 10 months, both financially & emotionally. Fortunately, my misery came to an end this past week: I just completed my first week of work at a new job. I'm very happy to finally be back in the world of wage earners paying taxes & contributing to our economy.

Being unemployed put a severe strain on my ski season in 08-09. I only got out about 10 times when previously, I averaged 25-30 days. I didn't participate in the 2nd Sundown Bump Comp & I wanted to be there. Spending money on skiing when you're struggling to pay the basic bills & put food on the table just doesn't make much sense. I soon began to learn what was important in life.

I lost my job at probably the worst time economically in the last 30 years. Jobs were few & far between but I had an optimistic outlook. I figured I'd have a job by Thanksgiving or Christmas at the latest. After all, I previously had a good recession-proof type of position and a good resume so how hard could it be? Oh boy, was I in for a reality check. I would never have believed it would take me 10 months to secure a job.

Thank God for the unemployment compensation system. Otherwise, I would never have survived. While it was very difficult to support my family of 6 on 22% of my previous earnings, there is no way I would have lasted without that 22%. Now that I'm gainfully employed at a salary comparable to, although still lower than, my previous job, I feel like I can finally pull my head above water financially.

In the end, my experiences during this recession have made me a better person. I've learned to appreciate the simple things in life. My relationships with my wife and children, while strained during the period of unemployment, have in the long run been strengthened significantly. This experience has also taught my children some important lessons about life. They've learned to do more with less & to not assume that Mom & Dad can always pay for anything they want to do.

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience to explain my absence from AZ & to provide a positive story about this nasty economic downturn we're experiencing. I don't want to turn this into a negative, depressing thread but how has the recession affected you or someone you know?

I'm glad to hear that you found a new job. At the local bar there are alot of regulars who are out of work. More blue collar as construction and other trades has dried up. Reading a story like yours makes me want to sock away as much money for a rainy day as possible because although I'm in a recession proof industry..the future is always uncertain. Hopefully we'll see more of you on the slopes this season!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Congrats on getting things turned around. Your story is not uncommon. My future brother in law and several very good friends have been victims of the economy as well and out of work for over six months.

I experienced it for 7 months in 2004 when while not as bad, there were severe job losses leading up to the election. I was a single man of 29 with no 'real' responsibilities at that time and the experience REALLY put me down in the dumps emotionally. I can only imagine how that would be multiplied having to provide for a family of 6.

Good job sticking it through and good luck with your new position!

bvibert

Staff member
Good to hear from you madskier, I've been wondering what you were up to. I'm happy to hear that you're back on your feet. I couldn't imagine being out of work for so long. Unfortunately, being that my current job is in the manufacturing sector, it's a reality that I may have to face myself.

I look forward to skiing with you again this season. I'm glad you made it down to the first BorB, you were missed at the second one.

Mildcat

Well I'm glad things are looking up for you now. Hopefully you can get your finances back in order. I was laid-off about four months ago after twenty years of working at that company. They were building a facility in Mexico so I could see the writing on the wall a couple of years ago. Between unemployment and a generous severance package I'm just sitting back, relaxing and enjoying the summer.

I do miss a lot of people that I've worked with for years and I miss having a reason to get up early.

Wow that was more than a hardship you went through. I am very glad you manage to survive it and things are looking up now. It gives me perspective about my life. My youngest son lost his job over a year ago and is still applying. It is not getting any better out there either.

Moe Ghoul

Good to hear yer back on yer feet. The financial crisis is prolly behind us for the time being (who knows how long since most of the crap that caused it is still in practice), the economic crisis is gaining speed. Destination unknown for the next few years, imo.

skijay

Congrats! I was unemployed from April 2006 to January 2007. I had an excellent severance package plus the economy was in good shape back then, so I enjoyed my summer & skiing in December. I did have a job lined up, again the economy was better.

2knees

Jeff, I cant tell you how happy I am to hear this bro. It'll be very nice skiing with you more frequently this year. Plus, now we can stop cramming into the civic and maybe take that spacious mini van of yours for once! :lol:

seriously, this is really good to hear. Jeff is a class act, an incredible skier and a top notch drinker. 3 awesome qualities.

Greg

Staff member
Congrats Jeff. I know that ski day in April was an escape from the stresses you were going through, but I could also tell it was still weighing heavily on you. Hopefully, things continue to look up for you.

Beetlenut

Glad to hear you are back in the job saddle again Jeff! I know it must have been hard providing for your family, and just getting to sleep at night! As far as how has the recession affected me? It was the last straw on the camel's back!

madskier6

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement & support. I know I'm not alone in what I went through. Unfortunately, lots of people are going through this right now. Hopefully, they will have a similar happy ending like mine.

I'm looking forward to skiing with all of my AZ friends again this winter. Hopefully, it will be a great winter, snow-wise.

ComeBackMudPuddles

glad to see things are looking up, jeff. thanks for the post and for sharing.

you're definitely not alone....my sister has been looking for a job since november, my cousin has been searching since october, my wife was laid off in june (but, luckily, recently secured a great position) and my dad's company is on life support. and that's just my immediate family!

it's a "rough patch" for sure! continued good luck.