• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Name Brand Gasoline

Grassi21

Hey, just trying to add to the board, you don't like it, I'll shut up and wait for your contributions.

i was just busting stones. all i contribute is crashes and pics of blueberries.

Grassi21

on a trip to the cape we stopped at the stop and shop on 95 off of exit 3 a or b. regular unleaded was 4.09 i think. with my stop and shop card we got it for 3.13. we don't have a stop and shop gas near me in CT. but from now on we will be stopping at that station to and from the cape.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
on a trip to the cape we stopped at the stop and shop on 95 off of exit 3 a or b. regular unleaded was 4.09 i think. with my stop and shop card we got it for 3.13. we don't have a stop and shop gas near me in CT. but from now on we will be stopping at that station to and from the cape.

WOW, that's a hell of a difference and good to know, especially since I do have a stop and shop card. You sure you're not mistaken with the savings?

Oh, and I could see the Andy Rooney resemblence in my posts :lol:

bvibert

Staff member

WOW, that's a hell of a difference and good to know, especially since I do have a stop and shop card. You sure you're not mistaken with the savings?

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but AFAIK S&S has some sort of gas rewards program depending how how much stuff you buy there. Even if your local store doesn't sell gas you can still get the rewards and use them when you visit a station that does.

drjeff

Stop n' shop has a cummulative thing (same with Price Chopper) where the more you spend on groceries, the more you save at the pump. If you don't have a Stop n' Shop gas station in your area and you do most of your Grocery shopping there, you can really rack up a discount when you finally get to a stop n' shop gas station for that 1 fill up.

Price Chopper's is a bit more user friendly since their gas discount is good at any participating Sunoco station

Grassi21

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but AFAIK S&S has some sort of gas rewards program depending how how much stuff you buy there. Even if your local store doesn't sell gas you can still get the rewards and use them when you visit a station that does.

i think that is how we got the big price difference. it was the first time we purchased s&s gas and we do most of our grocery shopping there.

Grassi21

credit cards, gas, and i think there was one more thread that i can't remember..... blueberry muffin for breakfast.

Grassi21

Don't forget store reciept checkers, stores asking for personal info and kids collecting money on street corners.

didn't you start one on customer service at backcountry.com or something like that too? :lol: in my eyes you are andy rooney from this day forth.

Moe Ghoul

Cheapness. I have a place down the road that has full service at self serve prices, Liberty gas, it might be a few cents more than the cheapest gas in the area but it's nice to have someone pump it for you on a miserably hot, bone chillingly cold or heavy rain days.

ctenidae

The gas all comes out of the same pipeline into the same tanks at the distribution center before going into trucks for delivery to the station. The only difference is the "proprietary" blend of detergents, etc that goes into the gas- it's mixed as it loads into the truck

Big names can be cheaper because they have a dedicated truck fleet, set delivery schedules, etc. The independents place their orders with jobbers who buy on the open market and set prices for delivery that way. If the individual station has a good purchaser who can place orders on down prices, or if the jobbers are good at reading the markets and can buy from the depot at good prices, then they can be cheaper.

Hess is cheaper most of the time because they're about the only ones that have a fully integrated line- from well to refinery to pipeline to truck to station, they do it all. I saw an Amereda station in Rhode Island this past week,- used to be Amereda Hess, until a split up some time ago. I didn't know Amereda was still operating anything.

As for which gas, I always go for the cheapest, if I can and know it is. Hess is often the winner, though there are a few independents that are real cheap, so if I'm near them when I need, I'll go slightly out of my way to get to them.

When it comes to avoiding anyone like Exxon or whatever, it doesn't make any difference at all- the Exxon station isn't making any money selling gas, anyway, and Exxon the corporation is making money selling gas into the pipeline no matter what- that $3.50 you pay at your local friendly independent probably came from an Exxon refinery, anyway, so Exxon makes their money regardless. But, if you figure you're striking a blow for the little man, go for it. Just don't buy a soda and a bag of chips from Exxon- that'll hurt them more, unless it's an independently owned Exxon station, in which case you're just hurting a small local businessman.

drjeff

The gas all comes out of the same pipeline into the same tanks at the distribution center before going into trucks for delivery to the station. The only difference is the "proprietary" blend of detergents, etc that goes into the gas- it's mixed as it loads into the truck

Big names can be cheaper because they have a dedicated truck fleet, set delivery schedules, etc. The independents place their orders with jobbers who buy on the open market and set prices for delivery that way. If the individual station has a good purchaser who can place orders on down prices, or if the jobbers are good at reading the markets and can buy from the depot at good prices, then they can be cheaper.

Hess is cheaper most of the time because they're about the only ones that have a fully integrated line- from well to refinery to pipeline to truck to station, they do it all. I saw an Amereda station in Rhode Island this past week,- used to be Amereda Hess, until a split up some time ago. I didn't know Amereda was still operating anything.

As for which gas, I always go for the cheapest, if I can and know it is. Hess is often the winner, though there are a few independents that are real cheap, so if I'm near them when I need, I'll go slightly out of my way to get to them.

When it comes to avoiding anyone like Exxon or whatever, it doesn't make any difference at all- the Exxon station isn't making any money selling gas, anyway, and Exxon the corporation is making money selling gas into the pipeline no matter what- that $3.50 you pay at your local friendly independent probably came from an Exxon refinery, anyway, so Exxon makes their money regardless. But, if you figure you're striking a blow for the little man, go for it. Just don't buy a soda and a bag of chips from Exxon- that'll hurt them more, unless it's an independently owned Exxon station, in which case you're just hurting a small local businessman.

The independent station factor became an issue in the town where my office is last weekend. One of the indie stations ordered up a truck of regular unleaded from his distributor who told the trucking company that they use for transport to bring something like 8600 gallons of unleaded of the station. Later that day the tanker shows up and unloads the fuel into the tank at the indie station. Later on that day, the station starts getting a bunch of calls about peoples cars not working after they filled up there that day. Turns out the station received 8600 gallons of Diesel :eek: and 40+ cars had filled up before they realized what had happened :eek: :eek: :eek: What makes it even worse is that the indie station doesn't even sell Diesel!

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news...Fuel-foul-up-damages-dozens-of-cars-in-Putnam

tjf67

Stop n' shop has a cummulative thing (same with Price Chopper) where the more you spend on groceries, the more you save at the pump. If you don't have a Stop n' Shop gas station in your area and you do most of your Grocery shopping there, you can really rack up a discount when you finally get to a stop n' shop gas station for that 1 fill up.

Price Chopper's is a bit more user friendly since their gas discount is good at any participating Sunoco station

Keep in mind though discounts are only good for a certain amount of days. I think it is 60 but it may be 90. I use the PC card when it gets up over a dollar off. Then I can fill my tank with one credit card swipe. 75 dollar limit. What are we in like 1985 or something. JEEZ

ctenidae

The independent station factor became an issue in the town where my office is last weekend. One of the indie stations ordered up a truck of regular unleaded from his distributor who told the trucking company that they use for transport to bring something like 8600 gallons of unleaded of the station. Later that day the tanker shows up and unloads the fuel into the tank at the indie station. Later on that day, the station starts getting a bunch of calls about peoples cars not working after they filled up there that day. Turns out the station received 8600 gallons of Diesel :eek: and 40+ cars had filled up before they realized what had happened :eek: :eek: :eek: What makes it even worse is that the indie station doesn't even sell Diesel!

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news...Fuel-foul-up-damages-dozens-of-cars-in-Putnam

That's brutal.

drjeff

That's brutal.

Yup, the station just finally reopened today. There's now a big 'ol pissing match between the station owner, the distributor and the trucking company about who's to blame, and more importantly whose insurance company is going to foot the bill for the 40 odd cars that were effected. The local paper ran a story the next day where they interviewed a mechanic at a local car dealership who had already fixed one engine, and the article said that the estimated cost to fix each car was in the $750 to $1000!

Beetlenut

Hey, that's my exit! For some resaon the Hope Valley/Richmond area has some of the cheapest gas prices in the entire state. If you went the other direction on that exit, you would have hit a Hess station, directly across the street from a Cumberland Farms station, with even cheaper gas prices than the Stop-n-Shop with your card!

Hawkshot99

Yup, the station just finally reopened today. There's now a big 'ol pissing match between the station owner, the distributor and the trucking company about who's to blame, and more importantly whose insurance company is going to foot the bill for the 40 odd cars that were effected. The local paper ran a story the next day where they interviewed a mechanic at a local car dealership who had already fixed one engine, and the article said that the estimated cost to fix each car was in the $750 to $1000!

Back when me and my friends all got our licenses, one of my friends let several people fill up from his fathers gas tanks for his business. They had just been filled, with diesel instead of gas and all the cars stopped working. The delivery company had to fix all the cars, and my friend got in a little bit of trouble with his father.

Hawkshot99

As far as were I get my gas. Whoever is cheapest were I am. I will not drive out of my way to save a few cents. Brand does not matter, except for Stewarts. I like to just swipe my debit card at the pump, hate going inside to pay, and all their stations you have to go pay inside.

As far as brand quality, with my car it doesn't matter. When I had my bike I always went to the Mobil or Sunoco station. If i went their I could run 87. If I went to the other local non-chain gas stations I had to run 89 to keep it from pinging.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I read over at Greenhybrid.com that the additives that Shell uses are pretty hybrid efficient, but I'll pretty much go to any name brand place. Plus the guys at the two Shell stations near me are ultra nice.

Interesting my town has the highest price gas in New Jersey. There are 3 Exxon stations in town. 2 of them are on main thoroughfares into town,and always have the same prices, the 3rd is in the center of town. The one in the center of town is slightly above average. The other 2 are currently they are charging $4.89 for regular, $4.94 for plus and $4.99 for supreme Here's a link to the prices in June

http://www.baristanet.com/2008/06/priciest_gas_in_new_jersey.php

What amazes me is I see people filling up there every day! :eek: