• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Name Brand Gasoline

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I read over at Greenhybrid.com that the additives that Shell uses are pretty hybrid efficient, but I'll pretty much go to any name brand place. Plus the guys at the two Shell stations near me are ultra nice.

Interesting my town has the highest price gas in New Jersey. There are 3 Exxon stations in town. 2 of them are on main thoroughfares into town,and always have the same prices, the 3rd is in the center of town. The one in the center of town is slightly above average. The other 2 are currently they are charging $4.89 for regular, $4.94 for plus and $4.99 for supreme Here's a link to the prices in June

http://www.baristanet.com/2008/06/priciest_gas_in_new_jersey.php

What amazes me is I see people filling up there every day! :eek:

Holy freakin crap, that is outrageous. By me, also in Jersey, gas just dropped to 3.45 for regular.

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I hardly ever look at the price of gas, but I had to get gas for the lawn mower on Sunday and the price at the Shell was $3.69

$3.42 at the Hess station today...FWIW..I hate full service..and avoid getting gas in NJ for that reason..it takes way longer than pumping the gas myself and the gas station guys at full service stations are usually pretty shady..

As for the pricey gas in Summit NJ..I do alot of work in that area and it's so affluent that some people really don't care...gas stations charge what the market will pay..

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Does anyone from NJ who drives up Rt 17 toward the Thruway ever stop at the station just before the Thruway that says "GAS"? They seem to have the cheapest prices but not sure if I would trust them...

when i was a kid before the had the 287 extension we would take 17 to get to the thruway to go to vt. i remeber stopping there once and then we never did again i think it scared my mom. that place is just shady.

mondeo

I typically buy at Shell. They do use a better mix of their detergents in their gas, keeps the fuel system cleaner. Probably not that big of a difference, but I didn't buy the car I bought to skimp on fuel (I have to buy 93 anyways.) Plus there's one between work and the onramp on the way home.

If a Shell isn't handy, any big name place. I know it's not a big risk, but I'd really rather avoid water or other crap being mixed with the gas. Not that big a deal to find a Mobil or Sunoco.

I do boycott Citgo, though.

Hawkshot99

FWIW..I hate full service..and avoid getting gas in NJ for that reason..it takes way longer than pumping the gas myself and the gas station guys at full service stations are usually pretty shady..

I absolutely hate getting gas in NJ. I have pumped gas since I was 6 or 7 for my parents. I know how to pump gas. I have been yelled at by the gas attendants in NJ for starting to pump myself, when I get tired of pumping.

Also I dont pay for gas with cash. I pay with my Debit card or a Credit card. Both of my parents have had problems with NJ gas pumpers. My mother handed her card to the guy at a NJTurnpike rest stop to pay. He swiped her card for the gas, as well as swiping it for cash before giving it back to her. It was on videotape, so he got arrested and and we were not made to pay the money.
My father had his card stolen by a NJTurnpike attendant when he handed it over to pay, and then was distracted by my mother, and not realize he never got it back. He ended up buying stuff and maxing out the card, before we were notified, and we were not forced to pay that either.

I absolutely hate getting gas in NJ. I have pumped gas since I was 6 or 7 for my parents. I know how to pump gas. I have been yelled at by the gas attendants in NJ for starting to pump myself, when I get tired of pumping.

Also I dont pay for gas with cash. I pay with my Debit card or a Credit card. Both of my parents have had problems with NJ gas pumpers. My mother handed her card to the guy at a NJTurnpike rest stop to pay. He swiped her card for the gas, as well as swiping it for cash before giving it back to her. It was on videotape, so he got arrested and and we were not made to pay the money.
My father had his card stolen by a NJTurnpike attendant when he handed it over to pay, and then was distracted by my mother, and not realize he never got it back. He ended up buying stuff and maxing out the card, before we were notified, and we were not forced to pay that either.

All those are reasons why I stay away from full service gas stations,,

ctenidae

Interesting article on Time.com by two Stanford profs titled "Are Oil Prices Rigged?"....Completely plausible and a decent policy recommendation at the end.

INteresting idea, but overall, I find it implausable. In particular, I think they've got the relationship between the price of oil and the value of the dollar backwards. They say " high oil prices also devalue the dollar," but I think it's the other way around. A weak dollar influences the price of oil.

I can't directly prove it yet, but that's my gut.

mondeo

INteresting idea, but overall, I find it implausable. In particular, I think they've got the relationship between the price of oil and the value of the dollar backwards. They say " high oil prices also devalue the dollar," but I think it's the other way around. A weak dollar influences the price of oil.

I can't directly prove it yet, but that's my gut.

It's called oil being a global commodity. Of course as the dollar gets weaker, oil becomes relatively expensive. We buy it from other countries. Really, just simple economics.

ERJ-145CA

I've been getting gas in NJ for 21 years and have regularly paid with a debit or credit card for the last 10 or so and have never had a problem, I always check my statements. I once had a guy at the last Mobil on Rt. 17 before NY pump 50 cents less than I asked for, I was paying cash, but I looked at the pump and said "it says 9.50" and he put another 50 cents in without saying anything.

I usually get gas at Shell, Hess or Quick Chek, I don't go to the no-name stations, and I won't drive around for the cheapest price, I just won't go to the most expensive. With a Corolla the difference between the big brand stations and the no-name stations is only about 50 cents a tank. Most of the name brand stations have pumps that would be self service in other states so you can see your credit card the whole time.

I pump my own gas when I'm in other states but personally I like not having to get out of my car when I get gas and a few stations still clean the windshield too. People pump my gas for me and it is still some of the cheapest gas in the country.

Hawkshot99

People pump my gas for me and it is still some of the cheapest gas in the country.

There is 1 full service station in my town that I know of. Today i drove by and they are charging $3.97 while the self service shell across the street is $3.85. That is a big difference for full service...........

There is 1 full service station in my town that I know of. Today i drove by and they are charging $3.97 while the self service shell across the street is $3.85. That is a big difference for full service...........

If it's freezing cold..alot of non snow-sports enthusiasts would pay the extra dime a gallon for full service..not me but there's still a small market for full service gas stations..

Gas down here is down to about $3.40-$3-50

ctenidae

It's called oil being a global commodity. Of course as the dollar gets weaker, oil becomes relatively expensive. We buy it from other countries. Really, just simple economics.

True, but incomplete. I'm trying to figure out which is the cart, and which is the horse. I think that the dollar has a greater influence on oil than oil does on the dollar.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I saw $3.69/gal last night when I filled up... but I know I saw $3.67/gal (87 octane) 30 minutes away from here over the weekend.

bvibert

Staff member
I don't like other people pumping my gas. It's something I prefer to do myself. It's probably because I'm not a very trusting person in general, especially when it comes to my vehicles.