• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

need Porterhouse marinade

SKIQUATTRO

Grilling up some Porterhouse's tonight.....need to marinate soon....suggestions?

EOS

No marinade on a Porterhouse! That's a great cut that tastes delicious, as is, when grilling.

**I am not a chef, nor do I play one on TV, but my tastebuds do influence my opinion. :)

Grassi21

No marinade on a Porterhouse! That's a great cut that tastes delicious, as is, when grilling.

**I am not a chef, nor do I play one on TV, but my tastebuds do influence my opinion. :)

+1. Salt and pepper that steak and put flame to it!

deadheadskier

Staff member

+1. Salt and pepper that steak and put flame to it!

+2

any Steakhouse worth going to would never marinade that cut.

take it out of the cooler a half hour before grilling. Liberally salt it at that time with a nice kosher or Sea Salt. Hit it with coarse ground pepper just before it hits the grill. Only thing I'd do to it right now is unwrap it in your cooler if it happens to be wrapped. Let some air hit it for the remainder of the day. I typically unwrap any steaks I grill 24 hours beforehand.

Grassi21

+2

take it out of the cooler a half hour before grilling. Liberally salt it at that time with a nice kosher or Sea Salt. Hit it with coarse ground pepper just before it hits the grill. Only thing I'd do to it right now is unwrap it in your cooler if it happens to be wrapped. Let some air hit it for the remainder of the day. I typically unwrap any steaks I grill 24 hours beforehand.

That is a great idea. Letting that steak breath out of the wrapper will wick away some of the surface moisture and help to get a nice crust when you sear it up. I have paper towel dried whole chickens to help the skin crisp up, but never thought to try it with a steak.

EOS

I officially have a steak craving now..... Thanks everyone!

snowmonster

+2

This is the recipe. Steak craving for me too.

HD333

Just before grilling rub some olive oil on it, not a lot, then sprinkle Montreal Steak seasoning on it putting some extra on the edges. No marinade needed for a porterhouse. And definitely let it sit out to for 1/2 hr to get to room temp before grilling.
Now I feel like steak tonight maybe some grilled asparagus & blue cheese mashed potatoes to go with it.

ctenidae

The only thing I'd even consider changing on this is to take it out of the wrapper yesterday.

Our grocery store had a ridiculous deal on filet primals (whole things for $6/pound or so) a couple of months ago. We ate fresh filet that day, steak tartar the next, and the rest of the meat I put in the beer fridge for 2 weeks, turning every couple of days. Awesome. Totally worth the wait.

campgottagopee

+2

take it out of the cooler a half hour before grilling. Liberally salt it at that time with a nice kosher or Sea Salt. Hit it with coarse ground pepper just before it hits the grill. Only thing I'd do to it right now is unwrap it in your cooler if it happens to be wrapped. Let some air hit it for the remainder of the day. I typically unwrap any steaks I grill 24 hours beforehand.[/QUOTE]

What's the purpose of that??? Just curious.

deadheadskier

Staff member
air breaks down enzymes in the steak. As the enzymes break down they release more flavor into the meat as well as tenderizes it.

Grassi21

air breaks down enzymes in the steak. As the enzymes break down they release more flavor into the meat as well as tenderizes it.

and that is the basic premise behind dry aging right? what is the typical dry time for dry aged steaks? i know you have the answers. :)

ctenidae

and that is the basic premise behind dry aging right? what is the typical dry time for dry aged steaks? i know you have the answers. :)

As the moisture comes out, it concentrates the flavors as well. Enzymes get to work, adn tasty goodness results.

Depending on humidity and temperature, you can dry age for several weeks. The longer you age, the less meat weight is left, and you'll lose some to being a dried, hard rind (which does not make for good beef jerky). In a fridge, 3-5 days is probably about the best time frame. Just be sure to follow good food safety rules to avoid cross contamination. Leak proof container, bottom shelf. Keep the meat off the bottom of the pan and out of its own liquid. Turn frequently, drain often.

TheBEast

Oh between this thread and my BIL talking about the 28oz rib-eye he had in Vegas last night I'm really not looking forward to the veggie lasagna in the fridge for tonight.....drool......