• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

sandman55

hi all :)

Seems like a very cool site here - lots of like-minded people - good synergy :spin: , good moticons, lol. Anyway, I'm basically an "engineering burnout" looking for a "better way"... life is too short (at this point in my life, anyway) to just keep doing "9-5" (more like "9-8 + weekends" these days) trading your (my) time for rectangular green pieces of paper just to sustain bills - yuck - sorry, drifting a bit... So I like to do "reps" (long days) at Monadnock and then take it to the whites - this is my latest --> www.pbase.com/sandman555 I don't like tourist-type hiking. I like (as they say) "going big". Have a great idea after this last traverse - get up to the shuttle on 302 right when it's supposed to leave, do up the traverse, then go home - all in a slammin' day - whatta ya think :)??? A day well spent (literally, lol) and you don't have to burn the time/money for any peripheral days.

look forward to hearing from you :beer:

all the best to you all,
Sandy

coen

non residential aliens have landed

Hi all,

I came to Maine (from the Netherlands) to study glaciers two years ago. The past two winters I've been x country skiing which is very close speed skating I noticed and a lot of fun. Since last year I've started ww kayaking and I really enjoy it. My roll seems to work allright but I wonder if it is very risky to paddle alone. Can anybody say something sensible about this? If it's up to me I'd like to get out there al least twice a week but my buddie can't keep up with this beginners enthusiasm and I've been restricted to once every two weeks.

Well thanks, its nice to be here

Fe Nunez

New Here

Hi I'm new here.Im Fe Nunez from Colorado.
A skier for 5 years now.

lkerrigan

Another newbie here. Leo from Massachusetts. Recently started hiking on Mt Monadnock. Wouldn't been able to do it a year ago have so far lost over 70 lbs ( finally got off the couch). Any recommended trails would be greatly appreciated.

bvibert

Staff member
Congrats on the weight loss Leo! Try posting your question about which trails to hike in the Hiking Forum, you're bound to get more responses in there.

Coyote Bob

New Member, Coyote Bob

Hi,

(Hope I'm posting this in the right place- I'm new to this.)

I'm a middle-aged empty-nester who likes to hike in rural New England, preferably in open places with a view. Favorite places are the Whites and Monadnock, which are a long drive from my home in southern CT (where there's almost no place to hike). I also love to hike and backpack out West, especially Wyoming and Utah, where the summer air is dry and the terrain an outdoor person's paradise.

I raised my son to hike from the time he could walk, and we shared some wonderful adventures in all the above places. Alas, he's grown up and moved away. All my old hiking friends from younger days have developed infirmities that prevent them from hiking. So Dad is now a solo hiker.

The wife (non-hiker) says I should look for some hiking clubs in the area and maybe find some people with similar interests. My principal interests are hiking and photography. I'm also moderately computer-literate. I have other inactive hobbies which have disappeared over the long grind of work and raising a family.

Does this strike a chord with anyone? Or am I beyond hope? Whaddyah think, folks?

Coyote Bob
(So-named by co-workers because of my trips out West, "where the coyotes howl.")

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome Coyote Bob, this sounds like the place for you. If you're looking for hike suggestions then post in the Hiking Forum, if you've already got a hike planned and are looking for a buddy to hike with post it in the Trips and Events Forum, and lastly, once you've done a hike be sure to post a report in the Hiking Trip Reports Forum where pictures are always welcome.

SkiDork

I'm SkiDork.

I don't think I ever posted in here before.

45 years old.

Married to Tyrolean_Skier (a skiing fanatic in the truest sense of the word)

2 Kids:

John (9) - already a better skier than me

Alexandra (5) will be better than me in the next 1 or 2 years.

Oh, yeah - I enjoy skiing.

Moose

Name: Moose

Live: Concord, NH

Likes to: ski, hike, bike

Claim to fame: I've skied with Bob R! :beer:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Score one for Moose for a great handle. Even better if it's his real life nickname.

Score a thousand if it's his real life given name.

kidrice

Bored at work and already thinking about snow and stumbled onto this site. Haven’t taken the time to really check it out, but so far so good. But I read some of the intros so I feel a little obligated to participate and I’m still bored at work and trying to kill time.

Anyway, 36 yrs old and currently working in the Information Technology field living in the So Cal area. Ski at the local hills (Bear Mtn) in San Bernardino, but Mammoth has become my second home. I have been skiing for about 25 yrs, was a patroller for about 10 yrs, but now volunteer as an adaptive ski school instructor on non-powder days of course. NO FRIENDS ON POWDER DAYS!!

No kids or wife(s) ;) which makes last minute runs to Mammoth much easier to pull off and less damaging on the wallet and ears. The last couple of seasons were able to hook up with some locals that showed me some secret stashes and some were definitely sketchy. Glad I was wearing a brain bucket, but it didn’t have to come into play!! Mammoth had another huge season, but also a very tough year with all the client and patroller deaths on the hill and the big slide.

Well, that’s my little blurb. Hope I can add some good info to the site. Think snow!

Kid

Last edited:

Vortex

Welcome moose. You have to meet Ga2ski along the way. He is quite the free heel guy. Close to you also. Glad your here. Please add to the hiking threads.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Moose said:
Name: Moose

Live: Concord, NH

Claim to fame: I've skied with Bob R! :beer:

Welcome Moose! Going to have to ski with you some time. :beer:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
SkiDork said:
I'm SkiDork.

I don't think I ever posted in here before.

45 years old.

Married to Tyrolean_Skier (a skiing fanatic in the truest sense of the word)

2 Kids:

John (9) - already a better skier than me

Alexandra (5) will be better than me in the next 1 or 2 years.

Oh, yeah - I enjoy skiing.

Welcome Dork, you a skier?

Greg

Staff member
Moose said:
Well then. You should fit in perfectly. Welcome Moose!

Welcome kidrice too!