• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Sunglasses Camera Kit - What do you think?

A

ardgower

Hi guys,

I'm a product design student and I'm currently doing a project looking at designing a pair of sunglasses with an integrated digital camera aimed at skiiers and other sports.

The camera will be just slightly larger than a pair of normal sunglasses and will allow skiiers to take photos and video clips without the need to stop.

I'm currently conducting a survey to gain an idea of the need for such a product and would greatly appreciate if you could spend a few minutes filling it in.

To see the questionnaire please go to www.advancedsurvey.com and enter 18764 in the take a survey box on the right hand side.

Any comments or ideas would be thankfully received,
Cheers,
Ed

JimG.

Staff member
My guess is that it might be expensive when you launch it, but I would definitely buy one of those! Whenever I show friends pictures of skiing trips, especially places like Mt. Washington, they get no idea of the degree of steepness in a photo from below or above. But a bird's eye view would sure cure that 8) !

Greg

Staff member
I started to take the survey but bailed when I reached the cost questions (they're in British pounds). How about offering a survey in US dollars?

A

ardgower

Thanks for your help guys. If you have any comments (good or bad) then I'd be delighted to here them.

Also how do you feel about the product being sunglasses or googles? any preferance?

On the money question, to keep the results together I have to have everyone do the same survey, sorry. For a rough guide 1 british pound is just less than 2 US dollars.

Many Thanks,
Ed

bvibert

Staff member
For me goggles would be better. I almost never were sun glasses when skiing...

A

ardgower

The website is for camera glasses which are very expensive and soley aimed at private investagators etc. They record the information into a box strapped to the users back. The product I am developing will be completely self contained and marketed for a much more affordable price.

Thanks for you comments so far, please keep them coming wither thier good or bad. If anyone has yet taken the survey please do it should only take a few minutes.

Many Thanks,
Ed

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Maybe you should consider also looking into goggle cameras and producing both the goggles and sunglasses. Goggles would be more practicle for skiing, but glasses for many other sports including cycling, climbing and for some, the beach. Waterproofing should be considered, that would probably increase the saleability (is that a word?)

A

ardgower

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help. Due to popular opinion I’ve decided to create the product with goggles rather than sunglasses and therefore aiming the product at the snowsports industries. This still leaves me with some different options for the design and I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

There are two main options for the design.

Firstly a completely self contained product where all electronics and batteries etc. are housed in the goggles and on the strap. This option would not allow for a playback screen but would offer a compact solution completely contained in the goggle area.

The second option is having only the lens and receiver in the goggles and a separate control unit (which could have a screen and would actually be very similar to a normal digital camera). The control unit could be connected by wire or wireless connection (Bluetooth, etc) with the advantage of a wired solution being that batteries and the majority of electronics could be housed in the control unit therefore reducing weight and bulk on the goggles. For this solution the option also exists for a trigger for the camera which could be clipped to the user or run inside their glove (rather or aswell as a button on the goggles)

There are other options available such as integration with existing Bluetooth devices such as mobile phones, but I believe the above 2 are the most likely but I’d really appreciate any views you may have.

Thanks,
Ed

Greg

Staff member
Simple is better, IMHO. Oh, and I'm sure we'd all love to beta test your product... ;)